November 25th, 2008
2 months ago

Palin to hit campaign trail in Georgia

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is slated to campaign next week for Georgia Sen. Saxby Chambliss.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin will make multiple campaign appearances on behalf of Sen. Saxby Chambliss next week in Georgia, serving as the political closer for the GOP senator who is battling to win a second term.

This is Palin’s first campaign appearance on behalf of another Republican candidate since losing her bid to become the nation’s first woman to serve as vice president.

Palin will attend a fundraiser on Sunday night, then appear at multiple campaign stops on Monday in an effort to rally the GOP base to turn out to vote for Chambliss. The incumbent Republican is facing a strong challenge from Democrat Jim Martin. A runoff is scheduled for next Tuesday, after neither candidate received the 50 percent plus one vote needed to win on Election Day.

Palin is the latest high-profile politician to head to Georgia to campaign for either Chambliss or Martin. Former President Bill Clinton and Vice President Al Gore have campaigned for Martin, while Republican presidential nominee John McCain, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney have appeared on behalf of Chambliss. Today, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani will campaign for the Republican senator.

Nick Ayers, executive director of the Republican Governors Association, said that it made sense for Palin to help Chambliss in the days leading into the run-off because he noted that GOP governors are “still very popular in the party.”

“She is going to bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm to this run-off,” said Ayers, a close Palin confidante. “She is widely popular in Georgia, and I could not envision a stronger closer for Saxby in this election.”

Georgia is one of two Senate contests that remain unresolved as the dust continues to settle from an Election Day that saw Republicans lose at least seven Senate seats, 20 House seats and control of the White House. Republicans must win at least one of the two remaining unresolved Senate races to prevent Democrats from reaching 60 seats in the chamber and thus achieving a filibuster-proof majority. Minnesota, the other unsettled Senate race, is currently in a recount.

Filed under: Georgia • Jim Martin • Sarah Palin • Senate
soundoff (1,282 Responses)
  1. Carramia

Jim

I see do not see one good value in Palin shes a hypocrite, a lousy mother and a dummy ......... shes also hatefilled. I dont really care if she goes to Georgia. I only drive through Georgia to get to Florida. Its a non entity to me

November 25, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  2. Coutlergeist

Doesn't she have a state to govern or something?

November 25, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  3. Gord

To "VA Palin fan", who describes Sarah as "a strong and convicted American leader" (sic). You've got your Alaskans mixed up. The "convicted American" from Alaska is not Sarah Palin. It's Ted Stevens.

November 25, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  4. karen-phoenix

Stop, stop!!! NO MORE Palin!!!! I was a republican but I donated to Obama and voted for him and I'm soooooo glad I did!!! So fare he is the smartest president I've seen in Washington in my lifetime and I'm 64 years old!!!

November 25, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  5. John, Long Beach CA

I wish she would go hunting with Dick Cheney.

November 25, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  6. Natalie

I wish she would just stop. Someone please take the batteries out of caribou barbie!

November 25, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  7. Americans who view republicans as evil

so much for retrurning to her job and helping the good people of Alaska...

I sure hope she is the face of the GOP... dems couldn't ask for a better gift

November 25, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  8. kate

OMG – she's back – does not know enough to stay up north. I thank God I do not live in Georgia.

November 25, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  9. Connie Florida

Excuse me-but doesn't this bimbo have a state to govern? Shows how badly (NOT) she's needed back home.

What a loser.

November 25, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  10. David/Florida

the day this dumb, brainless Broad get's elected to highest office, Canada, here I come. For good.

November 25, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  11. mgb in Houston

You all didnt REALLY think she would go away now did you.
    I just wish she would cut to the chase and join Brittney on tour or announce a career into music or movies. She wants the spot light on herself and she will get it one way or another

November 25, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  12. J.R.

Sarah:

Go back to Alaska, and stay there. Since he's in your neighborhood, and you're pretty sure he's going to attack us tomorrow, you be a good citizen and keep an eye on him for us. You know, a neighborhood watch kind of josephine or sumthin' like that. Sorry, I gotta go now. Hav'ta head out for the soccer match and all.

Just please, stay in your own neighborhood, and keep shootin' those wolves with Mr. Sarkozy.

November 25, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  13. Robin in SC

I'll bet they asked her to go to Georgia and she thought she was getting foreign policy experience even closer to Russia than her backyard.

November 25, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  14. Hide the Turkeys!!!

She goin down to GA to get some slaughterin done?

November 25, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  15. Dan, from Columbia

Win or lose for Chambliss, for this self righteous Alaskan Demagog, this campaign simply presents another opportunity to satisfy her ambition for the presidential bid in 2012.

November 25, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  16. richard

why on earth do you all hate her? shes so great lets see u do what she has!...

November 25, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  17. J.R.

Sorry Sarah, I forgota tell you who I was referring to. Mr. Pootin. You know, that Russian guy.

November 25, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  18. Mike Dallas

Show a little leg, spew a little hate and blow kisses and winks to the rednecks. That is about all the half wit is good for.

November 25, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  19. Jose

Afraid of the Palin effect? You mean the one that cost the GOP the election. Yeah sure thing buddy.

November 25, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  20. Charm

Palin has to be the most comical politcal figure of all time. Maybe before closing her speech for Saxby, she can do an impromtu moose-chili cook-off or have a turkey beheaded and plucked for all her star-struck followers.

November 25, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  21. Paul C.

Yep, again the media can't get enough of this mediocre miserable nothing from Alaska. And yes Palin supporters I do call her that because that is what she is. Boo hoo if you don't like it. You hypocrites can always dish it out but never take it. Tough, as long as you morons keep propping up this idiot, I'll enjoy chopping her down along with the rest of the mentally challenged who voted McCain or still have some fetish for Caribou Barbie. Now onto the Georgia Senate Race. I cannot imagine in my 39 years on this planet in this life that the voters there would elect a known draft dodger, Saxby Chambliss, over a war hero like Max Cleland (lost both his legs and an arm in Vietnam). Amazes me that the same ignorant monkeys who whined and cried over Bill Clinton not going to Vietnam when most right wing cowards were able to get out of service and enjoy the benefits of student deferments, i.e. Dick Cheney & Saxby Chambliss. I really hope and pray that the voters in Georgia don't fall for this low life Charlatan and send the phoney back into civilian life where he belongs. Come on Georgia, step up to the plate and show the country that you're not a bunch of inbred moronic hicks, rather informed voters who will do the right thing.

November 25, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  22. Mike

If Palin does campaign for Saxby, will she campaign at a turkey slaughterhouse? THAT would be appropriate.

November 25, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  23. ATLian

I'm ashamed to be from Georgia. This will seal the deal for Chambliss.

November 25, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  24. Anne E.

This woman is no longer interested in being governor of Alaska. Doesn't seem to me like she's much interested in anything other than the spotlight and 15 more minutes of fame.

November 25, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  25. Bill

Interesting comments. We here in Illinois have not heard from our do nothing senator in a year and a half. At one time he was elected to represent us so Palin is doing what every politician does. The only silver lining to Obama in the white house instead of Palin is we will be rid of a do nothing senator who has no acomplishments to his name as senator

November 25, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52