November 25th, 2008
4 months ago

Palin to hit campaign trail in Georgia

Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is slated to campaign next week for Georgia Sen. Saxby Chambliss.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin will make multiple campaign appearances on behalf of Sen. Saxby Chambliss next week in Georgia, serving as the political closer for the GOP senator who is battling to win a second term.

This is Palin’s first campaign appearance on behalf of another Republican candidate since losing her bid to become the nation’s first woman to serve as vice president.

Palin will attend a fundraiser on Sunday night, then appear at multiple campaign stops on Monday in an effort to rally the GOP base to turn out to vote for Chambliss. The incumbent Republican is facing a strong challenge from Democrat Jim Martin. A runoff is scheduled for next Tuesday, after neither candidate received the 50 percent plus one vote needed to win on Election Day.

Palin is the latest high-profile politician to head to Georgia to campaign for either Chambliss or Martin. Former President Bill Clinton and Vice President Al Gore have campaigned for Martin, while Republican presidential nominee John McCain, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney have appeared on behalf of Chambliss. Today, former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani will campaign for the Republican senator.

Nick Ayers, executive director of the Republican Governors Association, said that it made sense for Palin to help Chambliss in the days leading into the run-off because he noted that GOP governors are “still very popular in the party.”

“She is going to bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm to this run-off,” said Ayers, a close Palin confidante. “She is widely popular in Georgia, and I could not envision a stronger closer for Saxby in this election.”

Georgia is one of two Senate contests that remain unresolved as the dust continues to settle from an Election Day that saw Republicans lose at least seven Senate seats, 20 House seats and control of the White House. Republicans must win at least one of the two remaining unresolved Senate races to prevent Democrats from reaching 60 seats in the chamber and thus achieving a filibuster-proof majority. Minnesota, the other unsettled Senate race, is currently in a recount.

Filed under: Georgia • Jim Martin • Sarah Palin • Senate
soundoff (1,282 Responses)
  1. Change

No higher taxes for the rich. Clinton’s people running the White House. Are you feeling the change? How’s that change working out for you?

November 25, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  2. Pat

Just the fact that she is endorsing chambliss should tip the election to the democrat, but as someone else noted it is georgia....

November 25, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  3. arnie

Please go away forever! What will it take for you to go away? Don't run for President , don't do anything but go away.

November 25, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  4. Eric Diaz

If he was smart, he would stay away from her. Others in the GOP don't want anything to do with her.

November 25, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  5. Ed

Palin???.....Palin?????....I dont think I remember who that is.....was she of any importance at anytime????....I...I ... I just can't seem to remember any Sarah Palin...what did she do? hmmmm?...guess I have forgotten because she wasn't worth it!!

November 25, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  6. Frann Altman in CA

It's thanksgiving. Please please please, put a fork in her. She's done!

November 25, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  7. Gloria - Minnesota

Why does this article refer to her as "Republican vice presidential nominee"? That is no longer (Thank God) her title. She is FORMER Republican.... Granted, further on in the article it is stated that she lost as a Vice Presidential nominee, but I would hope that she wouldn't continue to be referred to as a nominee for Vice President! She is a Governor, although I don't believe she is qualified for that office any more than for the national office she sought!

November 25, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  8. mike

her speeches are:
    LIES HATE LIES HATE
    wink...self promote
    LIES HATE LIES HATE

November 25, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  9. Lost in Texas FOREVER

I can't understand this.for the life of me. The Christian far right and "Focus on the Family" group, which Gov. Palin is part of and endorsed by are always stressing "family values". Now Gov Palin has a special needs child, a daughter that is about to become a mother soon with her first grandchild, and a supposed wedding to happen also. Shouldn't THAT be more important than running around the country doing the campaign deal? Family values take a back seat I guess to politics and fame.

November 25, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  10. BBB

PLEASE MAKE IT GO AWAY!!!!!!!!!

November 25, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  11. JB'S Dad

She reminds me of a bad Milli Vanilli song...granted they were all bad... no matter how bad the song was, you can't wait to hear the next one to compare it to. I still wonder what happened to the turkey she pardoned...

November 25, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  12. RJ

Does Chambliss want to lose?

November 25, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  13. bitter_in_pa

She's a cartoon.

November 25, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  14. Greg

Well, it looks like she really plans to support OBAMA and help this country get back on its feet and help us all work together. Her really aim is to make sure that we will go through 4 years of hell, have millions of people unemployeed. Make sure our 401K are worth $0.00, so she can get elected as President. Does she know what the President's job is?

November 25, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  15. deb

This woman is beyond pathetic. She's such a narcissist it makes me sick. She needs to be home tending to her job as govenor of Alaska, not to mention her downs syndrome baby! She's such a hypocrite! It's all about her!

November 25, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  16. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Look, Palin may be the sweetest apple in the barrel.
    However, she is not crunchy--just soggy.

November 25, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  17. J.R.

Sarah, one more recommendation. Dancing with the Stars next season. It's you chica, it's you.

November 25, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  18. dan

Since all this is filtered and moderated by the almighty CNN (balanced media) nothing that does not reflect CNNs view can go through. No wonder the whole thing smells donkyeeash. True, mean and always ungly side of this crowd – friends of CNN. I am wandering how many messages like this you've cast out already.

November 25, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  19. bob

A lot of you seem concerned about Sarah getting paid by the taxpayers for these appearances, where were you when Barack worked only 143 days in the US Senate, then decided to run for the Presidency?
    What about the 161 "present" votes in the Illinois Senate?? Did the taxpayers of Illinois decide they were paying his salary as a "campaigner" instead of a Senator?
    Your memory is really short, because those 161 present votes are the proof that we need, that Sarah has more balls than Barack!!

November 25, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  20. tas

Unfortunately, there is alot of hatred in our country. It is rather cowardly to enter such comments. I continue to be disappointed in people who write very negative comments. By the way, Sarah Palin did not get to keep the clothes.

November 25, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  21. sharon, newport news, virginia

Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!After watchin her interview while the turkey was being killed and blood everywhere and she didn't flinch, I was so through with this stupid, clueless woman. "I didn"t hear it – I didn't see it" doesn't work. She will say anything or be anywhere to get her face on tv. I would like to buy her for what she thinks she is worth and sell her for what she is worth. How desperate must the candidate be to get her there. Maybe you can show her interview in the background while she speaks. Maybe she can accuse his opponent of palling around with terrorists. Wake up Republicans – SARAH PALIN IS NOT NOT NOT YOUR FUTURE!!!!! She is an insult to women who actually do have intelligence.

November 25, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  22. Tulsa

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    .....God I love the Republican party! Haven't laughed so much in all my life as I have since Nov 4.
    What a bunch of little crybabies. You guys were all tough and mean till you got your butts handed to you. Now you're all "victims" of the mean old nasty liberals you once called "weak".
    Dumba$$es. You deserve to be walked on for a few years. Cry me a river you little bed-wetters.

November 25, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  23. Missy Pooh

The GOP just doesn't get it. If I were running for office, she would be the last person that I would ask for help. Palin probably feels she needs to redeem herself and that's why she wants to keep her face in the media. She feels she will do just one thing right to make people feel like she has some credibility. She should just lay low for awhile and let the negativity wear off and maybe people will give her a little respect. I don't think she's a bad person, I just think she's misinformed about alot of things and does nothing to educate herself.

November 25, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  24. Andy H

Brad, after 8 years of Bush many of us were prepared to vote for Atilla the Hun rather than another Republican. I was a Republican up until Bush.

November 25, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  25. Frank

Sarah Palin doesn't live in a trailer. She lives in a in a $540,000 house in Wasilla. She is rich unlike some of you.

November 25, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52