November 26th, 2008
4 months ago

Obama cabinet vetting historically fast

Obama appears to be picking his cabinet at a record pace.
Obama appears to be picking his cabinet at a record pace.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama is already making presidential history by naming - or at least his transition team is leaking to the press - his Cabinet picks faster than nearly all of his predecessors.

"If we do not act swiftly and boldly, most experts believe that we could lose millions of jobs next year," Obama said Monday.

With an economic crisis spiraling out of control and a lame duck in the oval office, presidential scholars say the next commander in chief simply had no choice.

Watch: Obama cabinet vetting process underway

"This is really unprecedented. But it's an unprecedented situation," said Larry Sabato, a presidential scholar at the University of Virginia. "Obama is doing what the public and the markets demand be done - and that is to show that the next president is really in charge before he even takes the oath of office."

Full story

Filed under: Obama transition
  1. JAE

HE isn't President of the United States until January 20th. Until then, he's president elect ONLY.

To those of you who don't understand, there IS ONLY ONE President at a time. The muslim socialist will have his four years, just hold your pants on.

November 26, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  2. Obama Victim

of course he is moving quickly...when all you do is re-cycle the same old DC crowd.....do that in no time.....now..that is change we can beleive in!!!!!

November 26, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  3. JJ

Well who else will the American people turn to right now? Certaintly not the lame duck thats in office now. He's too busy pardoning turkeys!

November 26, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  4. anonymous in Big D

I'm glad something is happening fast – I'm already sick of these people. CNN's love affair with the NObama's has got to stop. All the articles and interviews of Michelle "breaking the stereotypical black woman role". Give me a break!! Name me one first lady (although Michelle is no lady) that has worked "outside the white house", gainfully!!! This woman is no saint and I'm sick of the racial bias this family has been, and I presume will continue to be, given! There are many, many of us out here that take offense at this attention of these people. They are just another black family moving into government housing.

November 26, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  5. Hillary supporter for obama

He's shpwing strong leadership skills as I knew he would!

Thnak God John McCain didn't wint this election, this country would be taken over by Like-Bush dimwits!!!

November 26, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  6. Archie H.

Change?? Just rehiring Clintonistas can be fast ( dems in line for power gravy) but is far from change!!

November 26, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  7. Sweetie

OMG-This is the Very person who caused the absolute HELL of the Carter Years!

I was praying we wouldn't have to enter this HELL again!

All you Kids who are too young to remember the Hell will!

Paul Volcker will be a name you get a tight feeling in your gut when you hear.

We have already lost most of our wealth-now we will never see it again!

November 26, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  8. Matt

Do they have to show Birth Certificates to get the job?

November 26, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  9. Lisa

I wonder what the Republicans have to say about that.

November 26, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  10. alabama.boy

President Elect Obama is working on the economic crisis and President Bush is pardoning a turkey..

November 26, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  11. Tim in VA

Of course it's fast. They're all Washington insiders who have been through it before. How y'all likin' the "change" so far?

November 26, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  12. doug

I know Obama will do for our best country unlike President Bush... That is what we need an Obama to change.... God Bless him and devote our people in world.. God does not plan for WAR...

November 26, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  13. New Day

...in the meantime, Bush is pardoning a turkey.

We should make a new monument like Mt Rushmore where we sculpt the faces of the worst presidents ever.

Think about it, we can call it Mt Dumpmore and charge people $20 to go there and throw rotten vegetables at the stone likenesses of W, Carter, Hoover and Van Buren (kinda guessing at Van Buren although, I have heard "things").

With that money, we can balance the budget and bail out GM.

November 26, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  14. Charles Atlanta

Yes. Looking at my 401K saving, I'm glad we did't elect a guy only can said, "my friends, I know I can do this..."

November 26, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  15. Iowa Mom

That just shows me that he's ready to take charge on day 1 and get this country going in the right direction.

November 26, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  16. Karen - Missouri

Well, in these times SOMEONE has to take the lead because all Bush and Paulson have done is screw up the economy! Obama is still keeping enough distance to be ok...but this country can't wait for Bush to mess up even more!

Inauguration day can't come soon enough!

November 26, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  17. Jaye

Obama has some excellent people on his team doing the vetting.
    So far I am pleased with all his cabinet choices – and hope he chooses Hillary as Secretary Of State.

November 26, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  18. Doug R.

Pay attention to what Obama is doing and how he's conducting himself. Three new conferences in as many days.
    Then you have George Bush, walking around and giggling and acting dumb. And VP Cheney. Who knows where he is. Probably hiding under a desk or something at an undisclosed location.

November 26, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  19. John from LA

Can anyone say-Chicago machine????-This is unbelievable-faster than W-makes one think????-No change seen here-more Chicago politics and insiders from DC.

And please bots-stop with the "A real president" nonsense-

November 26, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  20. Arthur James

Well, more power to him, but when he said he would be reaching across the aisle, I don't think anyone thought he was talking about Gates.

I still know some people who swear that PE Obama is going to announce that he will begin withdrawing troops, even perhaps a total withdrawal, from Iraq at his inauguration speech.

Doesn't look like it. Besides Gates, it looks like a third Clinton term, and I have no problem with that.

I hope that Obama will be a bold president, but since he didn't keep his word on the presidential campaign financing, it's obvious that he has no qualms about going back on his promises.

November 26, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  21. Simpliticus

Mr. Obama is doing the correct thing. By taking control of the economic problems, he is attempting to clean up the frat party that George W. Bush allowed to get out of control! I am sorry but just stating that "Wall Street got drunk" is simply not adequate to explain the circumstances which we are now in. And for a CEO-style president with a so-called MBA, George W. Bush has shown about as much style as the Big Three auto CEO's with their private plane begging to Washington congressmen!

November 26, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  22. jason

anonymous in Big D-

OMG!! Can you be any more white racist?!?

November 26, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  23. tedious898

anonymous in Big D November 26th, 2008 1:22 pm ET

***************************
    Thank the Good Lord that racists such as the author of this post do not represent the majority of americans. Please "anonymous in Big D" go back to seducing your favorite gernsey on the ranch and leave adults to discuss politics.

November 26, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  24. Change is Here!

FINALLY...some actual work on behalf of the American citizen coming out of Washington...and he's still just the President-Elect. All you "haters" out there just need to get on-board and get this country back on track. He's there to help you as well.

November 26, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  25. mary, colorado springs

Mr. Obama is starting off strongly which is refreshing after 8 years of indecision, flip-flopping, no decisions, wrong decisions and questionable decisions. I am so happy we will have a strong leader who knows who he is and what he wants and goes after it. I think this bodes well for a bright future for America and its world-wide reputation as a leader. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!

November 26, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |