November 27th, 2008
7 months ago

First White House Chrismukkah cards accidentally sent

A card sent to Jewish leaders had a distinctly Yuletide flavor.
A card sent to Jewish leaders had a distinctly Yuletide flavor.

WHITE HOUSE (CNN) – Whoops! A picture of a Christmas tree is not the first thing you would expect to see on an invitation to an event celebrating Hanukkah, but that is exactly what recipients of invitations to this year's White House Hanukkah reception initially got in the mail.

The invitation sent to American Jewish leaders on behalf of the President and First Lady, requesting "the pleasure of your company at a Hanukkah reception," bore an image of a Clydesdale horse-drawn cart, carrying the White House Christmas tree, with a Christmas wreath-adorned White House in the background.

Mrs. Bush's press secretary, Sally McDonough, attributed the snafu to a "staff mistake" in not printing separate cards for the different White House holiday events, as has been the custom in years past. "Mrs. Bush is apologetic, It is just something that fell through the cracks," she said, referring to the role of the First Lady's office in sending out the invitations.

The card as originally intended featured a menorah given to the White House during Harry Truman's presidency. That mailing was to have gone out today, according to Mrs. McDonough.

McDonough added that the White House had received "dozens" of calls of support from members of the Jewish community to express their appreciation for what President and Mrs. Bush had done for them through the course of Mr. Bush's presidency.

Filed under: Popular Posts • White House
  1. Gisele from NY

Steve, your post made my day. "I'm a Christian but used to live next door to a Jewish guy. According to the Palin Principle, am I eligible for either card?"

Now for those of you upset by some of the negativity on this forum, please remember that these are hard times for Americans. We all need a little venting. So poking some fun here is okay in my book. And in a forum, you will always get some people whose comments seem over the top. In America, we have freedom of speech...

November 26, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  2. jim maupin

Typical! What have the Shrub's gotten right in the past 8 years? Absolutely nothing. Good riddance to both of them!

November 26, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  3. Larry

After reading many of the comments left here by so many liberals (What could I expect, it is CNN!), it continues to amaze me how many liberals just parrot the drivel proipagated by a press that has long since abandoned any sense of objective journalism. I will not annoy you with repeating again the umpteenth time the facts. But suffiuce it to say, I am disappointed that more of you do not think for yourselves.

November 26, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  4. FL for Obama

OMG! Are we STILL talking about the birth certificate?? GET OVER IT! He wouldn't have been a state Senator or even allowed to run for the Presidency if he didn't have a valid birth certificate!! Find something new to bash the newly elected President about...and get a life while you're at it!!

November 26, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  5. Denine

What! You mean our country celebrates holidays that aren't Christian!?! I guess Bush forgot to read that memo. Religious-right nuts!

November 26, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  6. Jonathan M in a Red State

LOL, look I voted for Obama and the democrats, but why is everyone blaming Bush on here? He's had his share of problems but come on....seriously....Holiday Card mistakes? Is that the best we can do? This was probably the mistake of some freshman college intern. Only reason we care about P.C. is because the media makes it out so bad. I'm Christian and I love to be told have a Happy Hanukkah by Jewish friends. Hell, I'll even take Merry Quanza or whatever greeting it is for Quanza

November 26, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  7. Voter in CT

I can't stand the Bush Administration, but I can see how mistakes happen. Oops. People are human. Get over it, people.

November 26, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  8. Chris in Va.

Can Dumbya do ANYTHING right?????????

November 26, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  9. Denver Dem

As a jew , if this was a compitent President I would be offended. But since this was done by the same morons that ruined this country I am not surprised. I am surprised they even apologized. I figured these idiots figured all Americans are Christians. Soon enough they will be showing their faces at book burnings

November 26, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  10. Ernie

The Obama's do not celebrate Christmas. What church do they go to?

November 26, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  11. rainbowgirl

This would probably be a nonissue for most Jewish people. My husband is Jewish and his family always had a "Christmas" tree growing up. The tree is more a sign of the spirit of the season and a reasonable person would not object.

November 26, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  12. Forgiveness at the holidays

Just imagine if Pres. Obama had made this mistake and watch the comments change...
    :-)

November 26, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  13. romack

I am a Democrat, voted for Obama, have been disgusted with the Bush administration over the past 8 years...

..but seriously, you guys want to hate on Bush for a simple, innocent, mix-up? That's lame. Quit being loudmouth, blow hards, and find something else to gripe about.

You folks seem more offended than the people that were actually affected. You know very well that President Bush had nothing to do with the mistake.

November 26, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  14. ringo

The Jewish community isn't going to get bent out of shape over this.

We've been laughing at him for eight years. Why should this night be different from any other night?

November 26, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  15. Tracy, Chicago, IL

Imagine if Obama did this crap, the wing-nuts would be whinning about it until 2012

November 26, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  16. scott brookdale ca

So what? Christmas trees aren't Christian. They're a Pagan tradition enmeshed within the winter holiday. They have nothing to do with Christ. Not to say I think they're fools for missing this

November 26, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  17. Griff

No Lady... No. No. No. Lady..... Who's your best friend?? You have none.... Relax Security.... What Security??? They serve the Big-Hitter.

November 26, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  18. Barbara in NC

I'm a human, and I would be honored to receive ANY kind of card from Laura Bush. I think she's human too.

Too bad there are so many SO set in their way that there is no forgiveness or understanding in their hearts. Hope your God is not as judgmental as you are.

God bless the U.S. and happy holidays to all of you.

November 26, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  19. Anonymous

Oh boy! What else can they do before Jan 2oth?

Happy Thanksgiving anyway!

November 26, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  20. Mike Hunt

Right...Jan 20 the world is saved. LOL. So funny.

Bush has screwed up a lot of things but New Orleans? Last I checked he doesn't control the weather.

November 26, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  21. Bill

Why must it be Democrats hating on him because he's a Republican? Have we really stooped that low? Is it not obvious that this is just a ridiculous and laughable screw up? It would be just as funny if it were a Democrat in the White House that did it.

It's just one more ineptitude...

November 26, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  22. abraxis

There are no words that can adequately express the incompetence of this administration. What's worse, however, are those who put them in office for eight years!

November 26, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  23. xddy4u

This Country Is going to be it's own DEMISE. Everyone want to be SPECIAL. No one is going back to their HOMELAND, we're just a MELTING POT of WHINERS.

November 26, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  24. Mike

I like your attitude, EL. Happy Hanukkah

November 26, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  25. Jen, Cali

PULEEEZZZ!! lets tell some truth November 26th, 2008 5:14 pm ET
    IF I were a Christian, YES I would be pissed . . .
    __________________________

Thank you for not being one. But whatever you are, may you have a joyous holiday season.

November 26, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |