November 27th, 2008
4 months ago

First White House Chrismukkah cards accidentally sent

A card sent to Jewish leaders had a distinctly Yuletide flavor.
A card sent to Jewish leaders had a distinctly Yuletide flavor.

WHITE HOUSE (CNN) – Whoops! A picture of a Christmas tree is not the first thing you would expect to see on an invitation to an event celebrating Hanukkah, but that is exactly what recipients of invitations to this year's White House Hanukkah reception initially got in the mail.

The invitation sent to American Jewish leaders on behalf of the President and First Lady, requesting "the pleasure of your company at a Hanukkah reception," bore an image of a Clydesdale horse-drawn cart, carrying the White House Christmas tree, with a Christmas wreath-adorned White House in the background.

Mrs. Bush's press secretary, Sally McDonough, attributed the snafu to a "staff mistake" in not printing separate cards for the different White House holiday events, as has been the custom in years past. "Mrs. Bush is apologetic, It is just something that fell through the cracks," she said, referring to the role of the First Lady's office in sending out the invitations.

The card as originally intended featured a menorah given to the White House during Harry Truman's presidency. That mailing was to have gone out today, according to Mrs. McDonough.

McDonough added that the White House had received "dozens" of calls of support from members of the Jewish community to express their appreciation for what President and Mrs. Bush had done for them through the course of Mr. Bush's presidency.

Filed under: Popular Posts • White House
  1. Jen, Cali

California Girl November 26th, 2008 5:00 pm ET
    . . . thank god the national nightmare is almost over.
    ____________________

From one California girl to another: The "national nightmare" - with Obama - is just beginning !!!!!!!!!

November 26, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  2. Nit the Wit

Kinda reminds me of that "I'll be home for Christmas" Miller Beer commercial of a few years back

November 26, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  3. Cecile

HA HA HA HA HA.....I got a good laugh from this mistake. I'm a huge Obama fan but I would hope everyone would just get a chuckle from this. I teach my 2nd graders about Chistmas, Hanukkah, Ramadon, Kwanza....(I wish I could teach about the Winter Solstice, but I think I'd get in trouble with someone for that. ) I also teach my students that mistakes are great ways to learn. Lighten up! Laugh!

I wish this was the only kind of mistake made by the Bush camp...

November 26, 2008 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  4. TrueIndependent

Griff @ 7.30: Yet again, you call someone an 'idiot'. And then you say 'crap'. You seem to have a thing a two for 'toilets' and 'Idiots'.
    Are you an Idiot who lives in a toilet?

November 26, 2008 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  5. Marc

This is a TRAVESTY!

November 26, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  6. thenewphobia

matt landman November 26th, 2008 6:19 pm ET

what is jewish?
    --------–
    Judaism a religion.

November 26, 2008 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  7. chris of STL

This White House Can't get anything right .... it is gaffe after gaffe!!! Don't understand why the white house should waste money on holiday parties in these tough times .... Most of the companies (and families too!!!) canceled Christmas parties this year ...

November 26, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  8. chuck

TO HELL WITH THE BUSHES.NO ONE CARES WHO IS SICK<DEAD

November 26, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  9. Mark Silvers

Well, for the last 8 years the whole administration has been a giant SNAFU. What's one more. Less than 60 days to Obama! Obama-mia!

November 26, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  10. Jen, Cali

Noemi in Los Angeles November 26th, 2008 7:30 pm ET

If there is anything I will miss from a Bush White House, it's going to be this… the dumb, the stupid and the ignorant. lol
    ______________
    From one Angelino to another, darlin' - YOU are the dumb, stupid, and igonorant. LOL (Laughing Out Loud - and loud !).

By the way, what kind of a name is "Noemi" - some kind of hybird version of something you don't know how to spell??????????i

November 26, 2008 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  11. Mike

I am first a Christian and then a conservative republican. I consistently hear that Christians and republicans are closed-minded and full of hate. Yet, if you read most of these posts, the hate is not coming from the Christians and the republicans, most of the hate is from the democrats and liberals. I wonder how these same people will react if Obama gets treated with the same hostility and disrespect as Bush has been treated. Undoubtedly they will sat that the people complaining are closed minded right wing Christians, and some will even mention his race. Seems to me that not all, but a lot of you Democrats and Liberals need to open your minds a bit and stop hating so much. Its one thing to disagree, but the amount of hate in these posts is uncalled for.

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and God Bless the soldiers and their families

November 26, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  12. MikeH

We have another toxic one here.

Jen, cali, why so bitter? You're in danger regressing into a life (if you can call it that) of hating everthing around you.

You should enroll in a 12-step program for your affliction.

November 26, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  13. Wildman

say what you want about Bush, but the fact remains that there was not one terrorist attack on U.S. soil under since 2001.....and isn't that the #1 priority of the president?

November 26, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  14. Greg Hodges

I know this is just another Bush SNAFU.; but really does this not remind anybody with any common sense that you have to maintain a sense of humour in this crazy world, if you want to keep your sanity. Have a good laugh; and move on.

November 26, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  15. ErnestPayne

From start to dismal ending the Bush regime has been nothing but one dismal failure after another. What is astounding are the posters that still support the republicans and their abject failure at every level.

November 26, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  16. melvin weinwright

This is news??? You people are pathetic. All I see is a very beautiful picture of the White House.
    All you MORONS that hate Bush- you should get down on your knees and thank God that you have been PROTECTED FROM TERRORISM for the last 7 years. You are the most immature childish brats I have ever come across.
    As for Obama- well if you listen to his 'press conferences' the Republicans did win. He is turning out to be a CONSERVATIVE. Thank God!!!

November 26, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  17. Soccer Nana

I would not want to be that staff person right now. Let's just hope the President and Frist Lady remain in the Thanksgiving and Christmas spirit as they discuss this with the White House staff member and go easy on him or her.

November 26, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  18. Woodman

How many more days until Obama's inaugaration?

November 26, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  19. counting crows

dolts.

November 26, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  20. Ray Fisher

This is to be expected, nobody in the White House has been competent for over 8 years. Notice First Lady Laura couldn't even be called upon to review invitations. Must be tough duty doing nothing all day!!!

November 26, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  21. chris of STL

Mike,
    Most of the people do not have any problems with Christians. But, the negative comments are on those ultra nuts who try to impose their beliefs on others .... I'm religious too. I practice my religion inside my house.

Regarding Mr. Bush .... here again, it is nothing personal. Most of Americans believe that he is in dereliction of his duties, and betrayed the public trust. He is out of touch with what's going on and is not completely 'truthful' with the American Public. It is the sheer frustration of concerned people that's showing up in these blogs!

November 26, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  22. California Gold

People please, lighten up. It was a mistake. Nothing more – nothing less. If it weren't a mistake it would be called an on-purpose.

November 26, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  23. Gino

griff: Please, please take your meds.

November 26, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  24. Jeeves

WOW!!!!! How come the White House is shifting the blame to this poor official instead of First Lady Bush (soon to be former First Lady)

November 26, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  25. Deke

This can't possibly be news because "snafu" has been GW's m.o. for the past 8 years!

November 26, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |