November 27th, 2008
6 months ago

First White House Chrismukkah cards accidentally sent

A card sent to Jewish leaders had a distinctly Yuletide flavor.
A card sent to Jewish leaders had a distinctly Yuletide flavor.

WHITE HOUSE (CNN) – Whoops! A picture of a Christmas tree is not the first thing you would expect to see on an invitation to an event celebrating Hanukkah, but that is exactly what recipients of invitations to this year's White House Hanukkah reception initially got in the mail.

The invitation sent to American Jewish leaders on behalf of the President and First Lady, requesting "the pleasure of your company at a Hanukkah reception," bore an image of a Clydesdale horse-drawn cart, carrying the White House Christmas tree, with a Christmas wreath-adorned White House in the background.

Mrs. Bush's press secretary, Sally McDonough, attributed the snafu to a "staff mistake" in not printing separate cards for the different White House holiday events, as has been the custom in years past. "Mrs. Bush is apologetic, It is just something that fell through the cracks," she said, referring to the role of the First Lady's office in sending out the invitations.

The card as originally intended featured a menorah given to the White House during Harry Truman's presidency. That mailing was to have gone out today, according to Mrs. McDonough.

McDonough added that the White House had received "dozens" of calls of support from members of the Jewish community to express their appreciation for what President and Mrs. Bush had done for them through the course of Mr. Bush's presidency.

Filed under: Popular Posts • White House
  1. A Sad Commentary

Any excuse to spout hateful rhetoric will do. Most of these posts don't even have anything to do with this ridiculous non-story. It looks like we will finally have 8 years of the blind leading the blind behind us. Now we can look forward to at least 4 years of some of the most hateful and judgemental spewing in history. Congratulations, if we keep it up we can kill this hope as well. Way to go America. I am sad for us.

November 26, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  2. k

Cecile,
    Concentrate less on the mistakes of President Bush and more on your own. I wouldn't want you teaching my kids anything since you can't even spell properly!

November 26, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  3. Liam

Melvin, Shhhhh. Just go seepy-bye and when you wake up the nice nurse will give you a pill to make the voices go away.

November 26, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  4. Pat Pa.

Too funny ! OMG--What is wrong with you people.

Mistakes happen ! That is why they are called mistakes.

Get over it and move on. I can't stand GWB, or his administration, but this is ridiculous. It was a simple mistake. Stop the paranoia.

November 26, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  5. Kevin

It was a mistake, give me a break. Bush can't be blamed for everything

November 26, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  6. corey

well now we now , and i always would check out the cards if my name was on them, hmmm.

November 26, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  7. skullfire666

ppl makes mistakes anyway...

November 26, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  8. haz1

Please! The people referencing the "lack of a terrorist attack on US soil the last 7 years" really need to find something else to try to come up with as a "praise" for W. It's a ridiculous statement. Try hard...he must have done something actually worthy of some praise...didn't he?? Well, put your collective half-wit minds together and see if you can think of anything. I seem to recall that he was said to have been punctual. That counts for something, right?? There ya go!! (you're welcome) :)

November 26, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  9. Irish

Why make excuses? Bush is a pseudo-evangelical and definitely anti-semitic. He is too stupid to embrace what the Jews in America want and need regarding Israel. It was wonderful to see Jews come back to the fold and vote Democratic in this election. After Bush leaves office, I doubt he will ever step foot in a church again. He used the evangelicals, as did the Republican Party. Thank God all that is so over.

November 26, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  10. Meka

This is exactly how he has carried himself for the last 7 3/4 years.

OUT OF TOUCH!

November 26, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  11. A

Those Christians who don't think it's a big deal, if got a Christmas card with the Star of David, wouldn't you be upset??
    For those of you who are making fun of Ramadan....
    I wish you would stop thinking that all Muslims are bad. They are not. There is a difference between A regular everyday Muslim and and extremist Muslim. Could the white Christians stop acting like they are they are good and everyone else is bad. There are other religions in this country...and yes we are all AMERICAN. The last time I checked the dictionary, the definition of an American wasn't WHITE AND CHRISTIAN. DEAL WITH IT! Watch the news, read a paper, get of out of your podunk town once in a while!

November 26, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  12. newz4i

Bush never checks on things.

I wonder if when he wakes up on 01/21/2009 if he'll wonder who will be waiting on him then.

November 26, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  13. S. Davis

If a person of the Jewish faith invited me to their house to celebrate in their Hannukkah, they wouldn't be expected to change out their Hannukkah decorations for Christian holiday decorations to accomodate their guest of the Christian faith. Besides, the Holiday card is pretty generic. There are bigger problems in the world than this holiday card "snafu".

November 26, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  14. Mike

To "A" There was no Christian symbol on this card. A Christmas tree has nothing to do with why Christians celebrate Christmas. A Christian symbol for Christmas would be a nativity scene. A Christmas tree is nothing more then a symbol of the commercialization of Christmas and the celebration of Christmas by people that either don't know, don't believe, or don't care why Christmas is a religious holiday. As as Christian, I have a Christmas tree and let my kids believe in Santa, but that is only a part of Christmas and does not signify the religious aspect of the holiday. If you are not a Christian and want to celebrate Christmas, that's fine, but the reason for the holiday is to celebrate the birth of Christ. As the card did not have a nativity scene on it, I fail to see how it could be so offensive to anyone.

Its a shame that on the night before Thanksgiving, instead of being thankful (I know, you are thankful that Bush is leaving) and thinking of others, you are so consumed by your hate of one person.

November 26, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  15. hugh ~ california

"Sometimes religious tolerance should include religious ignorance."

November 26, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  16. Mike, Vancouver

This is why AMerica voted for President Elect Obama. He believes in tolerance and forgiveness regardless of race, religion, creed, political affiliation. The card issue is silly, I have made mistakes as I am sure all Canadians and Americans have. Look to the high ground, the low road is flooding with hate, despair, division and greed.

Build someone up, make them feel good and accept some minor failings, but just don't jump off the cliff because of a Christmas card. It is ridiculous. Be tolerant.

November 26, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  17. my llamo

no big whoop. Well Seasoned Greetings everybody!

November 26, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  18. frankie

Okay mistakes do happen, but is this really news?

November 26, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  19. s.w.i.

At least Bushy has a plan to cut some costs

November 26, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  20. Larry

The only people that care are the petty little people that are clueless anyway.

November 26, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  21. Duncan

GET OVER IT PEOPLE ITS JUST A CARD>

IF YOU ARE GOING TO ROLL OVER AND WET ON YOURSELF OVER THIS .

WE ARE IN TROUBLE, LUCKY YOU ARNT IN MUMBAI (Bombay)

November 26, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  22. John

Why should the White House apologize?

November 26, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  23. Texas Teacher

I'm an American Indian.... Native American to most of you. My Christian family and friends send me Christmas Cards.... I am not offended though I am NOT a Christian. I know that their hearts are good. Many don't even know that I do not consider myself a Christian, and that I practice my traditional spirituality. I send them Holiday Greeting Cards. No one really seems to notice the difference.

My People are taught to be respectful of the spirituality of all people.

There is only one Creator who has revealed Him/Her/It's Self to different peoples in different times. That revelation has been translated through the minds of Human Beings with Human frailties in the only way that they could or can understand. Thus the differences of each of the world religions. It is Human Beings who reflect themselves and their petty human emotions on the teachings of the Creator that brings about misunderstandings and fanaticism. I trust that the Creator is not intolerant of our poor human frailties.

Intolerance is NOT a trait of the Creator, but of Mankind.

Aho Mitakaye Oyacin.... All Are My Relations.... even the ones amongst us who cannot love his fellow man. I may not always agree with the ignorant, but I try to remember that we are all human beings... all imperfect! May the Creator Bless us ALL through the coming trials and tribulations we face.

November 26, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  24. Melvin Romano

Two words...
    No Clue

November 26, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  25. Carl from MI

Almost as dumb as WMD's in Iraq...

November 26, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |