November 28th, 2008

Obama Cabinet to be nearly complete by Christmas

Podesta is heading up Obama's transition team.
Podesta is heading up Obama's transition team.

(CNN) - Barack Obama will have nearly named his entire Cabinet by Christmas, a top aide to the President-elect's transition team said.

John Podesta, a former chief of staff for President Clinton, told Bloomberg News' Al Hunt "virtually the whole Cabinet" will be in place by the end of the year.

Earlier this week President-elect Obama announced he was nominating New York Fed chairman Timothy Geithner to be his Treasury Secretary. He has also reportedly settled on Sen. Hillary Clinton for Secretary of State, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson for Commerce Secretary, Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano for Homeland Security Secretary, former Sen. Tom Daschle for Heath and Human Services Secretary, and Eric Holder for Attorney General. Obama also reportedly favors keeping Defense Secretary Robert Gates in his current position.

Though Gates currently appears to be the only Republican set to hold a leading cabinet post under Obama, Podesta said there will be "multiple Republicans" in the administration.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. John NY

Obama = Jimmy Carter

November 28, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  2. m hundertmark

President Bush, please call emergency session of congress to enact emergency legislation, allowing Obama to take the reigns now. We cant wait fifty four days or whatever ...the world is disintegrating and we have to step up .

November 28, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  3. chico in Virginia

This is a President with swift and direct action. He has a very resounding call to order above the chaos. He doesn't act like he has all of the answers. He shows more than a willingness to take action though. I really believe President Obama is heading for greatness. The kind that only President Teddy Roosevelt, President Franklin Roosevelt, President Kennedy and most important President Abraham Lincoln had. Barack Obama is THAT important. I truelly believe this President is on that level. Well done sir, lead on.

November 28, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  4. Barbara in NC

The sooner we get the Shrubs out of the White House the better. I can hardly wait for our new chance at a decent life again.

November 28, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  5. Seattle Sue

I for one don't care who Obama picks, if they can turn us around and get us out of the mess GEORGE W. Bush has brought to our country. If his picks include Clinton people, good, I had it a lot better under Clinton than Bush and the Republicans.

November 28, 2008 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  6. vic

Obama is working hard for us and I appreciate it.

November 28, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  7. Robert in raleigh

he's on the job,I hope his vetting is not being hurried.......

November 28, 2008 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  8. Jackie

looks pretty impressive to me! hope they turn things around very soon.

November 28, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  9. Iroko Nija

Good job. What of Sarah Palin? She will better be named the secretary for Lipstik-in-the-whitehouse. By the way, when will she donate her boutique to charity? Or has it been overtaken by events?

November 28, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  10. Willy Brown

THE CLINTONS ARE BACK!!! and that guy obama too.

November 28, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  11. sick n tired

WOW is it me or does this guy look like the inspiration for the movie Revenge Of The Nerds

November 28, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  12. Savvy

Quite an accomplishment for this gifted President-Elect! A great flock of Eagles flying over this distressed nation! Thank God for intelligence, common sense and political savvy! Happy Holidays!

There is yet hope for the hopeless (R)! I pray for you too!

November 28, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  13. zackbee

President elect Barack Obama brings intellect and pragmatism ...his community organization knowledge and skills are in use. wonderful.

November 28, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  14. Mickey in Texas

You go President-Elect Obama! We are behind you 100%!

Obama/Biden 08-16

November 28, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  15. roger dowdle, lockhart, Tx

To all those in the media who are complaining that Obama is bringing in people who have a background in their fields, and not opting for inexperienced and incompetants like Bush did- Experience, intelligence, and expertise is the kind of change the country needs! If you were more interested in reporting facts instead of creating controversy and conflict, reporting news instead of trying to create news, the nation would be better off.

November 28, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  16. mitchell

his nat sec team ,including hillary, is a real problem with me. if we are not seeing signs of beginning a withdrawal by march, let the demonstrations begin.

November 28, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  17. mike

ummmm yeah....ummm one problem.....Barack Hussein Obama is not constitutionally eligible to appoint a cabinet

November 28, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. Maggie SC

At least Hilary will have her husband to advise her if she gets in a situation she cannot handle. Condoleza Rice did a great job and she worlked quietly and effienciently in the background. I just hope Hilary exhipts a fraction of her diplomatic behaviour.
    I am glad Obama is using Hilary in a strategic position. she worked very hard during her campaighn. I am Republican but I do see the need Obama has to be wise in his decisions. I do not agree with all he has said but I will pray for and support him and his family because he will need prayers in leading our great country. I just hope he keeps it safe as Bush has and that he will make wise decions for our future.

November 28, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  19. Milhouse van Houten

Just make sure that they are the right republicans.Bi-partisan politics
    will be needed to help the country out of the hole it is in,but you need the proper mix of those who share the common goal.Nice to see that
    the new administration will be ready to go come January 20th.

November 28, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  20. alvino

Despite the financial mess that Lil' Bush got us into, it appears that Wall Street is reacting favorably this week to Obama's picks.

November 28, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  21. yanyara

Asked how he is going to sift through multitude of opinins, perspectives and egos from the large team of economic advisors, Obama said something like – I deliver "Change", not all of them. Did I say ego clashes ??

November 28, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  22. K Michael

Obama has selected a 'perfect' team for his cabinet. They offer the intelligence, experience,diversity and status necessary to bring the change we need. They are ready to hit the ground running. There is no time to wait.

November 28, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  23. Larry

I cann't wait for the economy to be "fixed" !! This trickle up theory has me really concerned,the homeless,and minimum wage workers are Obama's solution,I just cann't see how this will work !!

I sure hope his new Cabinet will be able to "FIX" the economy.

November 28, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  24. Ken

I hope Omama-claus is planning on giving coal to every rightwing neo-tard out there. Most of them would consider that a good gift anyway, they are so endeared to the fossil fuel industry.

November 28, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  25. FAYE, NV

I am grateful that Obama is putting his party together. Change is happening now.

November 28, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |