November 28th, 2008
2 months ago

Obama sends condolences to terror victims

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama issued the following statement Friday evening regarding news American citizens are among those who have lost their lives during the attacks in India:

"Michelle and I send our deepest condolences to the loved ones of the American citizens who lost their lives in the outrageous terrorist attacks in Mumbai. Our thoughts and prayers are with them, and with all who have been touched by this terrible tragedy," Obama said in the statement.

"These terrorists who targeted innocent civilians will not defeat India's great democracy, nor shake the will of a global coalition to defeat them. The United States must stand with India and all nations and people who are committed to destroying terrorist networks, and defeating their hate-filled ideology," he also said.

"There is one president at a time. I will continue to closely monitor the situation on the ground in Mumbai, and am grateful for the cooperation of the Bush Administration in keeping me and my staff updated. We fully support the Bush Administration's efforts to protect American citizens and assist the government of India during this tragic time."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Barbara in NC

Hurry Obama – we can't take much more of the shrubs!! Hurry. We want you to bring sanity instead of the mess we're in now. Please HURRY!!

November 28, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  2. Mobius

The Nation looks forward with anticipation to how Obama will continue the interventionist policy that has every terrorist and many legitimate nations on Earth furious with our buttinsky tactics. Lovely.

November 28, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  3. Griff

The only way to save face for America, was to Elect George Bush Jnr; for a third term... You Blew it America... You can't lead... Your a Bunch of Wimps...

November 28, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  4. Barbara in NC

That's our Main Man, folks. He's not too busy at Camp David like the village idiot.

My condolences too. Sorry it had to happen. When will we ever learn?

November 28, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  5. Griff

CNN! They know they are on the Air.... This is how they do it every time..
    The whole World is an Audience.... They'r on CNN... Nobody get more publicity, than Terrorist...

November 28, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  6. TrueIndependent

This is weird, but this was what Obama warned about 3 years ago when he said the Iraq invasion was a mistake and a wrong focus. Then, I thought Obama was being gloomy.

I am sure that the attacks in Mumbai were intentionally orchestrated by the terrorists so that blame will be placed at the door of the Pakistani government. The goal is to resurrect the rift between India and Pakistan.

When this happens, Pakistan will be distracted from cooperating with the Obama government in getting rid of terrorists hiding in the Pakistan/Afghan border. The terrorists must be scared of the support Obama will get and the potential success in neutralizing them in that area.

I hope for the sake of world peace, all parties are calm and rational. Especially when you note that both countries have nuclear weapons.

This really is the time for talking. We need to come up with solutions for this global challenge.

I hope those who post on this unfortunate incident will at least be non-partisan, and come up with solutions.

November 28, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  7. No Hillary = No Obama

He's not President yet – all this exposure for a person so overexposed already. The more he's deified, the more's he's set up to disappoint and slowly people will come out of their denial about this media-created wannabe -Obama.

November 28, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  8. Craig from NC

He doesn't know what to do... man I hope they just stay over there and don't attack us here.

November 28, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  9. rob

Thank you President-elect Barack.

November 28, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  10. wonboy

better get ready... we will be test soon and often...you were correct sen biden

November 28, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  11. Texas Teacher

Well said, Mr. President Elect, well said...

I can't help but notice as I watch the constant coverage of this event that the terrorists inside the buildings know exactly what is going on outside including who is headed toward the building, because the media is broadcasting that information constantly! Do we need so much coverage that we are aiding and abetting the enemy?

Just asking.... *shrug* :)

November 28, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  12. Jonathan M in a Red State

It's acts like these that make people want to kill Muslims (let's face it, these people were Islamic terrorists targeting Westerners). People overseas don't play the same ball we do here. They will kill who they want when they want when it serves thier purpose. Why should we not do the same? I'm not trying to incite hate and I hope you won't see me as that way. I'm just trying to convey the facts that other people don't have the same world views as we do. They will kill children based on the knowledge that thier is an afterlife and they will be rewarded. But is that a reason to rob a child of his/her life? Also, in times long forgotten holy men were untouched by battle. They were viewed as medical help and were not to be touched on the battlefield. A rabbi was killed in this attack. Keep this in mind

November 28, 2008 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  13. Shelly, IN

I'm so glad America finally sees the light and we will never trust those who say they will give money to the rich and wait for the rich to provide more jobs. In other words, the money will trickle down. Well, I'm still waiting and it's not happening.

Americans are really ready for a change.

The GOP is meeting to come up with more lies they can spread for 2012. It won't work.

November 28, 2008 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  14. MATT WILL, W-S N.C.

I HOPE THE WORLD UNDERSTANDS WHO THEY ARE DEALING WITH, WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO PRESIDENT-ELECT OBAMA. DO THE WORLD THINK ANY TERRORIST GROUP IS GOING TO MAKE OBAMA LOOK BAD. WHEN HE, PRESIDENT-ELECT OBAMA, STEP IN THAT OFFICE AND HATE GROUP TAKE A STAB AT THIS COUNTRY, THEY WILL THINK THE WRATH OF GOD HAD FELL UPON THEM. I HAVE BEEN WATCHING MR. OBAMA AND LOOKING AT HOW HE HAS HANDLED HIMSELF DOING BOTH CAMPAIGNS AND SAW MORE THAN HIS CALMNESS. PRESIDENT OBAMA WILL DO EVERYTHING IN HIS POWER TO DESTROY THE TELIBAN. THE TELIBAN HAS MET THEIR MATCH. OBAMA DOES NOT PLAY. WATCH AND SEE.

November 28, 2008 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  15. Felines for Freedom

Like anyone else following this story, I am absolutely horrified over it. Life is full of so much beauty, but it takes so few to stain the worldwide tapestry with blood. My condolences to the victims' families.

I am thankful, however, on this U.S. Thanksgiving weekend, for President-elect Obama. I am truly optimistic the U.S. can be a respected world player again and hopefully build an international coalition that will successfully stamp out the scum bucket terrorists.

November 28, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  16. MATT WILL, W-S N.C.

I WILL ALSO LIKE TO SAY, PRESIDENT OBAMA IS GOING TO BREAK HISTORY ON A LOT OF FRONTS. THIS WILL BE IN A POSITIVE WAY. IT'S IN HIS BLOOD, CAN'T YOU SEE IT.

November 28, 2008 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  17. mm

are the lives of the citizens of india and other countries of any worth??

I am slolwy being so dissapointed at Obama, he is doing the same thing every other president has done..

we are now stuck with the same old same old clinton dynasty
    just mark my words, in a few years, hillary will have chelsea run for senate
    now obama in his statements, while i want him to recognize the loss and tragedy of our citizens, what about the lives of the Indian people, the Jewish, and others..
    it is like the same old same, old,

I am totally so dissaopinted and sad WHERE IS THE CHANGE????
    i have heard teh same statements from old billary, and old bush..
    old politicians..
    this is sad.. very sad..
    to think i gave him my vote and the little money i could not afford, just like millions
    it is pathetic..
    i guess in four years, the GOP better come up with a good candidate so we can give our vote to someone who can for once bring something different from all politicians..
    someone with brains NO CLINTON NO BUSH NO DYNASTIES. NO SAME OLD SAME

November 28, 2008 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  18. Griff

All you have is a Camera! The Game-Park is full of Wild Animals.
    But when you look through that Lense; your in another World. I've been there CNN.. Mumbai is just another Game Park to me....
    News... No History.. My History... You only live once...

November 28, 2008 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  19. Patrick

He talks the talk but until I see him keep Bush's mindset of a post 9/11 world where we will continue to be on offense against terror (Iraq, Afghanistan, EVERYWHERE) I won't be convinced that he is the right man for the job.

November 28, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  20. mitchell

very presidential.

November 28, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  21. Sara, Birmingham, AL

Simply said: Obama does care.

November 28, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  22. gerryluimes

Pres.-elect Obama has-and this should be expected of him-in an eloquent manner addressed the horror of the effects in Mumbai caused by a hateful band of religious extremist thugs.In doing so it must be noted that B.O. chose to indirectly include the outgoing president in a civil and positive tone; Wich is thankfully better than some of the vile and outrageous comments that have emerged from some quarters regarding the legacy of pres. Bush.
    The tragedy od Bush's tenure,it can be argued, was his self induced
    "mission" to bring "democracy" to the countries of the world, even if those countries did not request it,or even were ready to accept this type of government.It was perhaps his arrogant show of telling the world that America is giving the undisputed best example to be followed.Nevertheless,under NO circumstances do we have the self determined right to villify this man who has also shown us many good sides of his character; After all,it is WE who wanted him as C.I.C,judging by our past voting margins........

November 28, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  23. mn

let us not worry about nukes in India ,
    yes do worry about pak's nukes in al quaida's hands ,
    the marauders in mumabai had been provided return trip to Karachi.it was not a suicide mission. (They are dumb you see).
    US has to shake off the old mantle and wake up to the terrism bed that is apkistan and take it from there, Munabai today , could be maryland tomoorow,
    They are dangerous , unmemployed , they are Jihadis on the losse ,

November 28, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  24. vv

i really love this guy really family guy i love this president

November 28, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  25. mn

I hope Obama starts his dipolomatic negotiation with well Zwahiri or ISI , Who is it that is running Pakistan?

November 28, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |