November 29th, 2008
03:11 PM ET
4 months ago

Obama adviser who called Clinton a 'monster' back

 Power resigned from Obama's campaign earlier this year.
Power resigned from Obama's campaign earlier this year.

(CNN) - Samantha Power, the Obama foreign policy adviser who stepped down from her post earlier this year after labeling Sen. Hillary Clinton a "monster," is now working for the president-elect's transition team.

According to the Associated Press, Power is part of a team of foreign policy experts tapped by President-elect Obama to help ease the transition at the State Department - the agency Clinton is expected to head up.

Power is also formally listed as part of the State Department agency review team on the president-elect's official Web site and could directly work with Clinton should she be nominated, as expected, for the Secretary of State job.

Power stepped down from the Obama campaign in March after she called Clinton - then Obama's rival for the Democratic nomination - a "monster" and someone who "is stooping to anything." The comments came in an interview with a Scottish newspaper.

"You just look at her and think, 'Ergh,' " Power also told The Scotsman then. "The amount of deceit she has put forward is really unattractive."

Power quickly issued an apology for the comments, but resigned her post days later.

"I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton," Power said in her resignation statement.

The Obama transition team did not comment on Power's new role.

Power is currently a professor at Harvard University and was awarded a Pulitzer Prize in 2003 for her book, A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide. In 2004, Time Magazine labeled her one of America's top 100 scientists and thinkers.


Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
November 29th, 2008
01:20 PM ET
4 months ago

Bush pledges full U.S. support to India

 Bush returned to the White House Saturday.
Bush returned to the White House Saturday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Bush pledged Saturday the full support of the United States as India investigates the attacks in Mumbai that killed at east 183 people.

"The killers that struck this week are brutal and violent," he said. "Terror will not have the final word."

Bush, speaking after returning from Camp David, said his administration has been monitoring the situation closely.

"We're working to ensure that American citizens in India are safe," he said.

He said President-elect Barack Obama has been informed of developments for the attacks, which Bush called "an assault on human dignity."

"The people of India are strong. They built a vibrant, multiethnic democracy that can withstand this trial," Bush said.


Filed under: President Bush
November 29th, 2008
09:55 AM ET
4 months ago

Obama calls Indian prime minister

Obama called India Prime Minister Singh Friday night.
Obama called India Prime Minister Singh Friday night.

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama spoke with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh late Friday night, the president-elect's transition team said.

Obama called Singh to express condolences for the victims of the recent terrorist attacks there. He also made clear there is only one U.S. president at a time, the transition team said.

Earlier Friday evening, Obama released a statement on the attacks in India.


Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
November 29th, 2008
09:30 AM ET
4 months ago

Bush to make statement on terror attacks

(CNN) - President Bush will make a brief statement on the attacks in India when he returns to Washington later Saturday, the White House has announced.

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino also said the president held a secure video-teleconference Saturday morning regarding the terror attacks with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and members of his national security team.

U.S. Ambassador to India David Mulford and Consul General Paul Folmsbee also participated in the call.


Filed under: President Bush