November 29th, 2008
7 months ago

Obama adviser who called Clinton a 'monster' back

Power resigned from Obama's campaign earlier this year.
Power resigned from Obama's campaign earlier this year.

(CNN) - Samantha Power, the Obama foreign policy adviser who stepped down from her post earlier this year after labeling Sen. Hillary Clinton a "monster," is now working for the president-elect's transition team.

According to the Associated Press, Power is part of a team of foreign policy experts tapped by President-elect Obama to help ease the transition at the State Department - the agency Clinton is expected to head up.

Power is also formally listed as part of the State Department agency review team on the president-elect's official Web site and could directly work with Clinton should she be nominated, as expected, for the Secretary of State job.

Power stepped down from the Obama campaign in March after she called Clinton - then Obama's rival for the Democratic nomination - a "monster" and someone who "is stooping to anything." The comments came in an interview with a Scottish newspaper.

"You just look at her and think, 'Ergh,' " Power also told The Scotsman then. "The amount of deceit she has put forward is really unattractive."

Power quickly issued an apology for the comments, but resigned her post days later.

"I made inexcusable remarks that are at marked variance from my oft-stated admiration for Senator Clinton," Power said in her resignation statement.

The Obama transition team did not comment on Power's new role.

Power is currently a professor at Harvard University and was awarded a Pulitzer Prize in 2003 for her book, A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide. In 2004, Time Magazine labeled her one of America's top 100 scientists and thinkers.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Debby

I find it hillarious that the Dems/liberals are suppose to be so supportive of their own and the people. They are the worse backstabbing party in the history of politics.

November 29, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  2. Russ

Free speech is a great thing. Keeping your friends close and your enemies closer also shows great common sense and intellect. It builds a great team of varied opinions and strong personalities. After the last sixteen years of bubbas and cowboys, this turn of events is extremely refreshing. President-elect Obama promised to unite people. He is showing great creativity and style in his methods so far! Best of luck to you, Mr. President-elect!

November 29, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  3. ann

Now how is that for change. Obamas critics appear to be right. Just what kind of change are we in for.

November 29, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  4. Chris

Everyone makes a stupid or emotional comment now and then... relax people. She's highly respected for a number of things... why not judge her on those rather than a stupid comment che made? I'm sure you've done the same...

November 29, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  5. Lisa

Good. Ms. Powers is a very smart person that will bring a lot to the table. I voted for Obama because he said he will bring change to Washington. He is doing just that. He is surrounding himself with the best team of people the World has to offer in the United States. His agenda of Change was really to change the tone in Washington. He has not worked as President yet, but I feel good as an American that something good has happen. We have a President that wants Americans involved in our Country again.

Also, for all the people that say he has not changed anything...Look where you are today, on CNN bloging about the President-Elect and his team, have you every done this before? If No, you are a part of the change Obama was speaking about....We the people being involved in our Government again.

November 29, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  6. Perusing-Through

Em Hunt, you need help.

There is no way the addition of a qualified Samantha Powers to Obama-Biden's transition team can set off a 'normal' human being, , , , , unless there are some other 'unknowns' outside of this commentary that indicate you obvious have instability issues. Please seek help! Now!

November 29, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  7. Larry

I like the way she thinks-She must also be really really good at what she does because" they" are over looking her comments.This is kind of like a teacher dating her students.

November 29, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. Mary

Bad headline for this story CNN. You are becoming more and more like the National Enquirer with your headlines.

To all the Obama haters...why don't you just relax and give him a chance. He is now your President too...whether or not you like it. BTW, the "change" is going to be his policies that will be implemented by his staff. Sounds like some people think that Obama, in order to represent "change," should put Joe the Plumber and other stupid regular people in his cabinet. I am so happy that Obama is surrounding himself with the best, brightest and most experience people to help get this country back on track. It is also very helpful that the world is thrilled that Obama is our President...maybe now there will be more cooperation between nations.

November 29, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  9. Rob Detroit

I am glad Ms. power is back i think she has a lot to offer,it's great
    her past comments were not held against her ,she said what alot of people were thinking.

November 29, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  10. Steve from Florida

This is a clear signal from Obama that he will NOT be appointing Hillaery Cinton as his Secretary of State! That would be a collosal mistake on his part.

November 29, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  11. She's a scary looking b---h!

Don't let your kids see this woman-–she's too scary and they'll have bad dreams--

Imagine being set up with her on a blind date--ugh!!!

November 29, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  12. This chic is stressed out----

She looks like she's been popping valium all day and downing it with a 5th of Johnny Walker--

Obama's type of braod-

November 29, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  13. Till 2016

I have always been told to tell the truth , no matter what.
    I m 100% behind Sam Powers

November 29, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  14. Ken

@Jesse Callahan - you are one deluded person. Just what has Hillary to apologze for? Well????

Maybe, being from the state that begat G. Bush, you think she needs to apologize for helping to beat the brains out of neo-tard [R]s since the 1990s? Hey bud, you can go ahead and hold your breath on that one.

Man, you better hope NASA starts a mission to Mars, so they can fly you back.

November 29, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. JT from Missouri

Doing this Obama has shown that he meant what he said all those months ago when he started his campaign to now, and that is willing to be bipartisan to anyone and everyone.I find it interesting that people who are criticizing Obama's decisions are the very people who do not want unity for this great country of the United States. Those people are the very people who made this country the way it is now. While I do agree that Bush has been really incompetent in his decisions, he is not the only one to blame for the mess Obama has to deal with now. It is the all the other people of both parties that has been incompetent. I am a 17 year old high schooler from a town just south of Cape Gireaudeu called Jackson. When I resister, I am going to resister as an Independent. Obama is going to govern from the near center. That is a smart move because if you do that you can form a solution for both parties to agree upon and America will be on it's way to becoming better. Lincoln, FDR, and Kennedy did the same thing, and look at the progress our country made under those Presidents. FDR got us out of a depression from using the "center" tactic. Right now we need a president like that who like FDR will get this economy, country, and world back on track. The only way he can do that is for all people Democrat, Republican, and Independent or whatever party you happen to be to come together to help him out. God bless the United States of America.

November 29, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  16. MartzMimic

I'll always remember the 2008 race as being the campaign of the thin-skinned. Everytime someone said something bad about an opponent, the opponent demanded that the statement be disavowed. I mean these people want to be the leader of the free world, but throw a fit whenever someone calls them a "monster?"

November 29, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  17. Ray

Powers was right to call her a Monster.............I really do not approve aof Obama selecting her for S.O.S. C'mon Obama I voted for you for ...We need a change..... NOT the Clintons AGAIN they are poison. Wake up Obama WAKE UP or they will crap all over you.....

November 29, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  18. Shannon

wow the haters are out, I'm repeating what Obama said, he said he would do away with don't ask don tell, now he says it's not important He said he would repeal Bush's tax cuts on the wealthy, now he says he won't. He said no lobbyist in his government, he has appointed dozens. I'm sorry the truth hurts. He said no to FISA and than he voted for it, he said yes to Public Financing than he rejected it. He said no drilling, but now will consider it. Perhaps all those things are fine with you, perhaps a pretty speech is enough for you. Me, I want someone who is honest as my leader, not someone who will say or do anything to get elected. I notice people attack personally, but they aren't able to defend the fact that he made promises and now he breaks them. I admit I didn't vote for him, I went third party. Perhaps when he voted to support FISA that was fine with some of you. Me, I want to respect the Constitution. For the gentlemen bragging about how educated he is, well I'm a college educated accountant. You asked what I have done for my country. Well in previous elections, I have worked tirelessly for the Democratic party in my State. What was it again you have did, besides hurl insults that is, short on facts, big on hate. Typical!

November 29, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. Ann

Hillary, please make her life miserable. That Marxist 'thinker' deserves it.

November 29, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  20. Shannon

Jay, seriously read a newspaper, turn on the television, you are truly one of the most uniformed people out there!

November 29, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  21. jerral

cnn
    you never post my views so go to thunder with all the obama haters. i am through with you

November 29, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  22. Logically thinking

It seems interesting that Obama would pick a VP who doesn't think he is qualified for the job and now He pick Powers who doesn't believe that a selection made by Obama is wise. What are these people really saying about themselves? What do those comments really mean about our new President? This goes far beyond the system of checks and balances – it speaks directly to this man's competency!
    This is a frightful time for our country – we may have plenty of money but our babies will die, our freedoms will be lost and marriage will be distorted which will break down the greatest and strongest fiber this nature has ever had . . . family!

November 29, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  23. Chico

In my opinion, such hate-filled people as her behavior has indicated should not be in government. Does Obama not realize that the government is for all Americans, whether liked or disliked? Does Obama not think that Hillary will get even after she is the #1 cabinet member? Such infighting within his own administration, already started...Obama is causing this to happen. He is really not full of love for all Americans, after all.

November 29, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  24. MO Aviator

Every day I look at these boards and am amazed by the stupidity displayed. All anyone ever does is bash bush and demonize Republicans. And anyone that attempts to defend republicans is in turn attacked. What are you clowns going to do when the democrats are in power and bush is gone? Who will you blame for all your problems then? I give it a year before you realize that Obama is not going to just send you checks in the mail and fix all your problems for you. Unfortunately you will still have to go out and get a job like the rest of us. Maybe Obama will do ok. Maybe he won't. Either way I will give him a chance. But I won't celebrate like a moron until I see him actually DO something.

November 29, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  25. James in Virginia Beach Va

I want everybody to get over this non issue, and let the future president build his cabinet with support. We need to give him all the support so he can clean up all the mess the current administration has made.

November 29, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |