December 1st, 2008

Bill Clinton will not appear at Obama announcement

Bill Clinton will be absent when his wife is formally nominated as Secretary of State.

(CNN) - Former President Bill Clinton won’t be on hand this morning when President-elect Barack Obama officially nominates Sen. Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, according to sources familiar with the transition.

Obama will unveil the full team at a press conference at the Chicago Hilton at 10:40 a.m. ET

Obama is also expected to finally confirm that he is keeping Defense Secretary Robert Gates in his current post, and plans to name retired Marine Gen. Jim Jones as his National Security Adviser at the White House.

Watch: Ed Henry discusses the security team rollout

Also, two sources close to the transition said Obama will nominate Susan Rice as United Nations ambassador, Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano as Homeland Security secretary and Eric Holder as Attorney General.

Some unfinished business from the primary season is heading toward a resolution as the former rivals take the stage this morning: Hillary Clinton has been assured by the Obama team that they will help her fundraise in the next 60 days to help clear her remaining campaign debt of roughly $6.5 million.

The status of another open question with roots in the contentious Democratic primary contest remains unresolved: the future status of Samatha Power. The Obama advisor who had to resign after calling Hillary Clinton "a monster" is currently on the transition team's "agency review team" for the State Department. She has apologized twice to Clinton, according to two Democratic sources, who say Clinton accepted the apology. But it is still unclear whether Power will have a job at the State Department with Clinton in charge.

Update: Bill Clinton praised his wife's nomination Monday. "As an American, I am thankful that President-elect Barack Obama has asked Hillary to be Secretary of State and that she has accepted. As her husband, I am deeply proud," the former president said in a statement.

"She is the right person for the job of helping to restore America's image abroad, end the war in Iraq, advance peace and increase our security, by building a future for our children with more partners and fewer adversaries, one of shared responsibilities and opportunities.

"She has already earned the respect of foreign leaders and diplomats through her work to promote human rights and the empowerment of women through access to education, healthcare and economic opportunity. And Americans know, from her leadership in the Senate on national security, that she will always put the security, values and the interests of our people first.

"In her service to the people of New York and our nation, Hillary has demonstrated the knowledge, passion, resilience, and capacity to learn that our country needs at this critical time. She loves being a Senator from New York, but as she has in all the thirty-seven years I've known her, she answered the call to serve. I commend President-Elect Obama for asking her to be a part of a great national security team. America will be well-served."

1. Mike Dallas

To all the dittoheads, the lawsuit filed by a dittohead to verify Obama's birth certificate, has been dismissed without merit by the presiding judge.

Perhaps if you got the complete news from cable news and not from the fat, bald, pill popper you would know this.

But, I forget you like the small sound bites fed to you just like your morning pabulum that mommy still spoon feeds you.

December 1, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  2. JOYCE

FROM ARKANSAS
    god bless pe obama and hillary and bill
    a special god bless you
    and GOD BLESS THE ENTIRE WORLD.
    IT IS A GREAT DAY TO BE AN AMERICAN

December 1, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  3. Bill Clinton

Guess that'll get Hillary out of my hair for a while!

December 1, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  4. Melanie McCready

Don't you think for a moment that former President Clinton will swallow all this. He will not be instructed by some upstart teenybopper president-elect how to conduct his life.

December 1, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  5. Lorna, NY

From some of the posts, I can't believe there are so many IDIOTS in this country. I am glad that PE Obama will focus on education an. We need to educate these stupids! It amazes me that we are a country of group thinkers. No wonder we rank 47 in world literacy, Cuba ranks number 1. And we have the nerve to talk about Cuba, at least their citizens can read and think independently.

December 1, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  6. Melanie McCready

Hillary was nominated for SOS so Obama can mortify her internationally in a few months. The two republicans were nominated so Obama can fire them in a few months to make a spectacle of the "awful Bush doctrine". Obama is not the angel his supporters think he is. Time and pressures will bring it all out into the open.

December 1, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. John Q. Cynic

It's Hillary's time, she has been handed the ball on first down, and it's Bill, who is the locker room trainer. The Clinton's are smart, they know how cabinet positions function, and he followed a personal edicate......unless it was lunch time in DC, when the announcements were scheduled. We all remember that Bill loves tasty food.

December 1, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  8. Gaylon Barrow

CHERYL – You are so right. Only the lowest of the low would call Obama a house negro. I am white and I am downright tired of this racist profiling. There is not one skin in this world better than another. Only you atheist donkey rears would state such nonsense. I advise you to read your Bibles. I didn't vote for Obama. But, he is my President and I take offense to anyone calling him names. I did not spend 28-years in the Army helping to defend this country to see some idiot make statements of racist terms to anyone who is Commander-in-Chief.

December 1, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  9. Sam

Romney paid with his own money during his campaign.
    I sincerely don't understand why the tax payers should pay for Hillary's debts.
    She has enough money to take care of that!

December 1, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  10. Phil in Albuquerque

@Sam December 1st, 2008 3:0 pm ET

The taxpayers are not being asked to pay Hillary's campaign debt. BO will probably ask his supporters to go to her web site and make a donation. Then he will attend a few big ticket fund raisers where anyone who can afford it and are so inclined can pay to eat lunch or dinner with the two of them. I donated to the Obama campaign twice during the primary and once for the general election. I'm still an Obama supporter. Hillary is OK, but she won't get a penny from me. See, we all have a choice. I suspect they will retire her debt in no time. Just not with my help.

December 2, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |