December 1st, 2008

Bush says some voters backed Obama ‘because of me’

ALT TEXT

President Bush says he wants to be remembered as a president who stuck to his values. (GETTY IMAGES)

(CNN) – President Bush told an interviewer that his presidency may have helped Barack Obama win the White House.

"I think it was a repudiation of Republicans," he told Charlie Gibson of ABC News, according to a transcript released by the network Monday. "And I'm sure some people voted for Barack Obama because of me. I think most people voted for Barack Obama because they decided they wanted him to be in their living room for the next four years explaining policy."

Earlier: Bush reflects on legacy

As Obama — who made opposition to the war a centerpiece of his presidential run — continued to assemble his national security team, Bush would not say whether or not he would still have pushed for war with Iraq if he had known there were no weapon of mass destruction in that country.

"A lot of people put their reputations on the line and said the weapons of mass destruction is a reason to remove Saddam Hussein," Bush said. "It wasn't just people in my administration. A lot of members in Congress, prior to my arrival in Washington, D.C., during the debate on Iraq, a lot of leaders of nations around the world were all looking at the same intelligence.

"I wish the intelligence had been different, I guess," he said, but would not say whether he would have pressed forward with the decision to invade Iraq if he had known otherwise: "That is a do-over that I can't do."

Bush also said that his administration had pressed for tougher regulations of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, but that push had been short-circuited by politics. He also said that many of the decisions that led to the economic crisis came from Wall Street before he arrived in the White House.

“I'm a little upset that we didn't get the reforms to Fannie and Freddie - on Fannie and Freddie, because I think it would have helped a lot,” he said. “And when people review the history of this administration, people will say that this administration tried hard to get a regulator. And there will be a lot of analysis of why that didn't happen. I suspect people will find a lot of it didn't happen for pure political reasons.”

Filed under: President Bush
soundoff (1,029 Responses)
  1. LSC-Indy

This is the most asinine thing I've ever heard. Please fast forward to Jan. 20, 2009!! I voted for Obama for several reasons. You, Bush are not one of them!!!!

December 1, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  2. john oluwa

poor laura to think dat she is gonna spend her precious time with dis clown is very sad

December 1, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  3. BS not Maverick

Don't touch anything else.

December 1, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. FreeNLovIt

ADvice for Obama: Better start reading lots of materials about war tactics, the art of war and negotiation, and PRAY a lot... It's going to be ROUGH...

December 1, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  5. Donovan

He's just a WAR CRIMINAL. A W-A-R C-R-I-M-I-N-A-L folks! He deserves the same fate as Saddam after being properly tried and convicted of course! Neither he nor any of the neocon b@$^@rds that pushed for the illegal war in Iraq (Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rice ... I'm looking at you!) should deserve to walk this earth or breathe the air of freedom for one more second.

December 1, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  6. steve r. from Wash st.

Let's add a few– McCain , Palin , Iraq , the economy , unemployment , tax breaks for the rich , worlds view of U.S.A , wall street dive , deregulation . RIPOFF.!!!!

December 1, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  7. sam1

I have to agree with the majority! I would go a step further.
    Haul him (bush) in to court, and try him for crimes against humanity, and put him in solitary confinment, or better execute him as a war criminal.

December 1, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  8. Tom K

DUH!

I'm 60 years old and haven't voted for a Democratic presidential candidate since Carter, but I voted for B. O. because I didn't want another 4 years of Republican rule that was anything like what
    we've had for the past 8 years.

I spoke with an 80 year-old friend who had NEVER voted for a Democratic presidential candidate in his entire life until this year.

Obama Republicans helped win this election.

December 1, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  9. Mike T. Vaughn

Yes Obama won because of You and Your Party!!!!!! A Snail could have won because of you and your Party!!!!!!! What an IDIOT!!!!!!!!!! I hope you burn In Hell for the pain your caused!!!!!!!! Please when this IDIOT LEAVES OFFICE. LEAVE HIM ALONE, NO MEDIA COVERAGE NO BOOK DEALS JUST LEAVE HIM THE HELL ALONE, 8 YEARS OF THIS FOOL WAS ENOUGH..........AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT HOW ABOUT LEAVING PALIN ALONE ALSO!!!!!!!!!

December 1, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  10. Richard

Maybe the fact that McCain didn't want Bush to appear with him even once might have clued him in, but you never know.

“Is our children learning?”

December 1, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  11. wally

President Bush has been the best president in my life-time.

December 1, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  12. Texas Teacher

And I don't agree that he nor Cheney came into their elections with good intentions. I sincerely believe that they came into power to be Powerful, and to make sure that the wealthy were able to become even more obscenely wealthy than they already were.... and that definitely includes themselves! :)

And I would even go so far as to say that they and their cronies were trying to manage a dictatorship of sorts... and I believe that before Bush/Cheney get out of power that they will try to do as much as they can to continue to deregulate whatever they can to make sure that they continue to get even richer at the expense of the American People! Of whom, they care NOT one whit! (was that a run on sentence? *LOL*)

Call me cynical.... but that is what their whole administration has been about including the war in Iraq! These people have gotten RICH off the dead bodies of our military and the Innocent people of IRAQ! Terrorism have been supported by both Bush administrations down to the very training of Osama bin Laden!

Wake up, People... and smell the thwarted plans for a dictatorship at your back! We have been a Democracy in name ONLY for the last eight years! And if you will admit it, you know it is the TRUTH!

Harsh words for harsh times. :)

December 1, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  13. Dakota, Lake Stevens, WA

Hmmm...

Yeppp! It was a repudiation of not only President Bush, but also Vice President Shotgun Dick Cheney, and the conservative Christians in the Republican Party. Whatever happened to the promise of a Kinder, Gentler, Republican Party?

Colin Powell is correct. The Republican Party has been heading in the wrong direction; especially under the influence and interference of the conservative Christians.

Conservative Christian Republicans, who have been trying to hijack the GOP, need to form their own political party. They should call it C.R.A.P. for Christian Republican Activists Party.

December 1, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  14. p1tey1

I can't wait for January 20th!!! I am so happy now that we have a President and First Lady who are intellectuals. I hope I never hear the word NUCULAR.....EVER AGAIN!!!! Good riddance Mr. BUSH!!!!

December 1, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  15. Mark L.

Now let me make myself perfectly clear...When President-Elect Obama does take office in January '09 & begins his tenure in office as our President, he will most definitely work vigourously on restoring the US Economy & our respectable stature in global affairs. Come 2012, I am highly confident President Obama will win a second term in office, regardless of whomever runs against him via the Republican Party. However, in 2016, I suspect Jeb Bush will make a run for the White House. I hope and pray by 2016, the US Economy will be flourishing and we will have Universal Health Care Reform in place. I only hope that those idiots that voted for George W. Bush for the last two terms remember the George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush legacies prior to voting another Bush into office. Just remember – G.H.W. Bush and G.W. Bush had both left office with the US Economy in a RECESSION !! And what's more, the current RECESSION is probably the worst one since the Great Depression Era. If for some astounding reason you would happen to think Jeb Bush would make a good candidate for President – You Better WAKE UP and SMELL THE ROSES !! NO MORE BUSH' IN OFFICE !! The GOP is CROOKED ALL THE WAY !!

December 1, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  16. R.NEWELL

How would one have ever predicted one man ,with the help of a cast from the Disney set, ruin the United Staes internally and externally ,and all with that silly little smirk on his face? I'm am ashamed of him and all he's failed to accomplish.Our country will take years to recover.....where is Robin Hood when we need him?

December 1, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  17. Arif O

"Obama got votes because of me"

That isn't something the moron should be proud of. It's like saying "look at me. Im such a screw up that people who would have backed my party backed the other guy".
    Seriously, why declare something as asinine as that.. guess that;s another reason why people actually backed the opposition....

December 1, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  18. James

G-baby I rather have a HARVARD & PRINCTON GRADUATE president than a DUMB C+ president like George W.
    ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Come on G-Baby get it straight President Bush has a degree from Yale and an MBA from Harvard University.

December 1, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  19. shelliann

I think bush should be fired just as he has allowed this economy to decline. He should lose his job and be forced out of his home and then placed in iraq to fight a meaning list organized crime. then he will kow what it feel like to loose loved one in war, your job, and homes. and most of all he will be human and not the monster that he pretrays to be.

December 1, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  20. John Q. Cynic

Bush is the definition of the "Ugly American" we have heard from the majority of nations around the globe. Bush has led our nation to its lowest levels of respect, he has placed every American in danger when we go abroad. If we look at history in Egypt, we see rulers who were regarded in harsh review, were chipped out of their nations history records. I'm glad I'm in no way related to this family who's swimming in a pool of spoiled milk. Nasty....

December 1, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  21. Dave

I just love reading the "open-minded" liberal responses on here- what a joke!

December 1, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  22. Kitty

No ****, Sherlock...

He's also the reason I voted for Kerry. Too bad all those 'good' Christians, who most often have NOBODY fighting in Bush's petty wars, liked Bush more.

And they ask why we're getting sick of religious involvement.

We are NOT a Christian nation, we are an AMERICAN nation.

December 1, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  23. Cecilia

YA THINK?????

But, actually Bush should not flatter himself. He was the reason many people were intent on changing direction – President Elect Obama, himself, was the reason we won.

December 1, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  24. Obama = Bush

Yes, many voters figured that if George W Bush, the former governor of a large state like Texas and surrounded by such experienced people as Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Powell could do such a lousey job, they why not vote for the unknown guy with no qualifications whatsoever???????

December 1, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  25. Brian-Omaha

Good to see some of you hateful Americans called Democrats again...hadn't seen or heard from you since the presidential election. I voted for Bush twice and proud of it. This specific terrorist group called Al-Queda started their activities under Clinton's watch, while he was dishonoring the presidency. Then 9/11 happened. Bush has to deal with that because of Clinton's inaction. Then he goes into Iraq....right or wrong...whose to say? Let me ask you lowly Dems this....if we could travel back in time would you want Saddam Hussein back in power, and millions of people suffering under his dictatorship? You all praise liberty and freedom around the world, but you don't want to fight for it. You don't want Americans to die in order for other nations to be free from persecution. We are the only super power left in the world, and it is our moral obligation to spread liberty and freedom...no matter what the cost.

I voted McCain because I believed experience and substance was more Presidential than speeches of "hopes and dreams" and "our kids futures..." But, Obama is going to be the next President, and I'm willing to let him show me something. Show us what you've got in store Obama. You talked a big game during the campaign, now let's see what you got. One thing I will say....for a guy who preached about Change in Washington so much....seems the people he is getting for his administration are from the Clinton administration. Not all, of course, but several. Seems like more of the same, than change.

December 1, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |