December 1st, 2008

Bush says some voters backed Obama ‘because of me’

ALT TEXT

President Bush says he wants to be remembered as a president who stuck to his values. (GETTY IMAGES)

(CNN) – President Bush told an interviewer that his presidency may have helped Barack Obama win the White House.

"I think it was a repudiation of Republicans," he told Charlie Gibson of ABC News, according to a transcript released by the network Monday. "And I'm sure some people voted for Barack Obama because of me. I think most people voted for Barack Obama because they decided they wanted him to be in their living room for the next four years explaining policy."

Earlier: Bush reflects on legacy

As Obama — who made opposition to the war a centerpiece of his presidential run — continued to assemble his national security team, Bush would not say whether or not he would still have pushed for war with Iraq if he had known there were no weapon of mass destruction in that country.

"A lot of people put their reputations on the line and said the weapons of mass destruction is a reason to remove Saddam Hussein," Bush said. "It wasn't just people in my administration. A lot of members in Congress, prior to my arrival in Washington, D.C., during the debate on Iraq, a lot of leaders of nations around the world were all looking at the same intelligence.

"I wish the intelligence had been different, I guess," he said, but would not say whether he would have pressed forward with the decision to invade Iraq if he had known otherwise: "That is a do-over that I can't do."

Bush also said that his administration had pressed for tougher regulations of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, but that push had been short-circuited by politics. He also said that many of the decisions that led to the economic crisis came from Wall Street before he arrived in the White House.

“I'm a little upset that we didn't get the reforms to Fannie and Freddie - on Fannie and Freddie, because I think it would have helped a lot,” he said. “And when people review the history of this administration, people will say that this administration tried hard to get a regulator. And there will be a lot of analysis of why that didn't happen. I suspect people will find a lot of it didn't happen for pure political reasons.”

Filed under: President Bush
soundoff (1,029 Responses)
  1. Dennis

Gee, do ya think Dubya? More like several million voters rather than "some voters".

December 1, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  2. max

understatement of the year!

December 1, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  3. GH

One Day W and Chaney will have to pay for their war crimes and the genocide in Iraq, that they committed, and the torture of countless innocent people. They sold the war on selective fabricated intelligence and they new it, and conveniently they did not want to double check the intelligence or find out where it came from. On the other hand these guys have some incredible Teflon shield; don’t forget that no one was convicted for leaking Valerie Plan’s identity. Scooter Libby was sentenced for perjury not for leaking the name, right fully so since Chaney and Row leaked the name.

December 1, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  4. jibba.

People don't realize that the president doesn't make every decision. The president is a pretty face and big words for the cabinet. Blame them, blame America, not g.w. I love Obama, and i am a proud democrat. Go read up on your news.

December 1, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. Don

Wally is 8 years old.

December 1, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  6. ????

Please do not send Dub-Ya back to Texas. He is a complete bafoon. Be nice if he would drop off the radar like a plumber with no plumbers license. BTW anyone heard from Joe?

December 1, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  7. Pat

Kevin: not sure where you get your inflated rumors from but Bush does not have an MBA from Harvard.

December 1, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. SouthernbyBirthnotReligion

Well it is nice to know that by being born in Alabama that i am ignorant and incapable of making a decision if it was not made by God or Preacher for me before hand.

Hey "from DC", I guess an MBA, Bachelors and numerous recognitions by Fortune 500 CEO's still makes me a idiot, bigotted conservative.

Boy, I thought there was a reason I voted for Barac-4 weeks early. You seem to be the narrow minded bigot. Grow up the South has risen again, but on the back bone of our superior work ethic and willingness to change. Can the North say that!?

December 1, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  9. Jaye

Maybe SOME voted against Bush, but the majority voted AGAINST Palin and McCain.

December 1, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. Louis

First intelligent comment this moron has made in 8 years.

December 1, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  11. logicman

Bush says: "I wish the intelligence had been different, I guess," he said, but would not say whether he would have pressed forward with the decision to invade Iraq if he had known otherwise...

According to Vincent Bugliosi in his book "The prosecution of George W. Bush for Murder", Bush got information on Oct. 1 2002 from the CIA stating that Saddam Hussein was not an imminenet threat. Yet, on Oct. 7, 2002 he told the American poeople the exact opposite as justification for attacking Iraq.

December 1, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  12. Anthony

The Big Dopey Son who took the Ferrari out and wrapped it around the
    tree down the Block.

December 1, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  13. Angie-OHIO

Well dumb dumb bush is telling half truth. he should have gone on to say "i was self serving, lying, cheating the American people. yeah i lied about the war, and after that i didn't care what happened. me and crazy cheney and the rest of my lying, cheating posse wanted to make sure we were fixed for the rest of our lives and well let someone else clean up my mess, like President Clinton did behind my daddy. that's all folks. see ya in the lone star state. i wonder what i can jackup there?"

December 1, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  14. Right wing

Christopher in Madison- I can not count how many times I have heard people tell republicans to "Get over it, we won" So outside of you making an unitelligent remark such as that, do you have any true reason you support Obama? Outside of change of course because anyone other than Bush would have been change. We already knew that we would have to be out of Iraq, so give me three reason why you support Obama. You make no decent argument by saying "sorry you lost, we won. Everything will be bettter."

December 1, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  15. We The People

Yea sure George- whatever you say...no go pardon some real turkeys...I mean criminals.....

December 1, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  16. Duke Nukem, ESQ

Only 50 days left to invade Iran...

December 1, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  17. Brian Ticknor

Obama has been accused of being an "elite intellectual."
    Hey, we tried stupid for eight years. It doesn't work!

December 1, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  18. still smiling

I voted for Obama because I couldn't bare to look at hook-nose, square-chin Palin for the next 4 years.

December 1, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  19. Roland

I just hope that when my President takes office in January, he has the stones to not let these guys get away with what they have done. The Republicans blamed everything bad on Clinton, or the Democrats for the last two years, and are already blaming the recession on the "fear" an Obama Presidency has brought. At least they are consistent. "Not my fault." GWB and Rummy are traitors and should be treated as such.

December 1, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  20. Greg

It's comical that some of you think that Bush will go down as the worst president ever. If you read a history book, you'll find oh, about 10 or so Presidents who were much worse.

As for the Presidents comments that he helped elect Obama...well it's true. Bush and his administration put a bad view on all republicans because they didn't follow the traditional republican values. One of the great things about President Bush is he always kept his word and his values. He stuck with what he thought was the best for the country. I like the fact that he never lied to the public. Intelligence said there were WMD's in Iraq, he went on that along with many other contries around the world. He didn't back down even though the intelligence was incorrect, he continued his mission to help free the Iraqi people and help them establish a democratic government.

December 1, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  21. Brian

The whole world had bad intelligence on Iraq and we can thank Saddam for that. He wanted his enemies to think he had WMD. Little did he know that bluff would lead to his ouster and death. No matter what these brain-washed liberals might think, I'm glad Saddam is dead and his government banished to the scrapheap of history. I'm glad the repressed Shia and Kurds can rebuild Iraq without a genocidal dictator in their way. Like the rest of Americans, I wish we would've had more troops from the get-go so we could've kept control of the situation. But, the decision to remove Saddam Insane was right.

Bush = average president with below average leadership skills.

James Buchanan = worst president ever.

Read a history book before making stupid statements...

December 1, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  22. Jaime in Florida

Leave it to GW to take credit for Obama's win.

December 1, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  23. Film Professor

Golly Gee, you think so?

And it is true, many of us voted for Obama because we do want to see a leader on nightly television who speaks like a leader and inspires us as a leader, as opposed to someone whose grammar makes us want to cover our ears.

December 1, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  24. Chuck

A TOTAL AND UNDENIABLE IMBECILE.

December 1, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  25. E. Fernandez

What is the point of all this banter?

Bush had 8 years to prove himself as a leader and on the whole, he failed at his job. We had a chance to remove him from office four years ago after his administration defied the UN and the International community to start a War against Iraq under the flag of Homeland Security.....we knew there was no evidence of WMDs, British intelligence admitting that information was "sexed up" to further bolster support for the invasion (keep in mind this fellow subsequently committed "suicide" days after revealing this). After all this, we as a nation re-elected him to another term and surprise, things deteriorated further.

Now here we are today, the Dow dropped another 500 points....people losing their jobs and homes left, right and center. We as a people elected a new face into Office and trust that he will surround himself with the people needed to turn this country around. I have confidence that he can get the job done and thats why I voted for him.....but if in 4 years I dont see progress, he will not get my vote again......lets get behind our president and our country because we are in for some tough times.....its time for us to make our voices heard.

December 1, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |