December 1st, 2008

Bush says some voters backed Obama ‘because of me’

ALT TEXT

President Bush says he wants to be remembered as a president who stuck to his values. (GETTY IMAGES)

(CNN) – President Bush told an interviewer that his presidency may have helped Barack Obama win the White House.

"I think it was a repudiation of Republicans," he told Charlie Gibson of ABC News, according to a transcript released by the network Monday. "And I'm sure some people voted for Barack Obama because of me. I think most people voted for Barack Obama because they decided they wanted him to be in their living room for the next four years explaining policy."

Earlier: Bush reflects on legacy

As Obama — who made opposition to the war a centerpiece of his presidential run — continued to assemble his national security team, Bush would not say whether or not he would still have pushed for war with Iraq if he had known there were no weapon of mass destruction in that country.

"A lot of people put their reputations on the line and said the weapons of mass destruction is a reason to remove Saddam Hussein," Bush said. "It wasn't just people in my administration. A lot of members in Congress, prior to my arrival in Washington, D.C., during the debate on Iraq, a lot of leaders of nations around the world were all looking at the same intelligence.

"I wish the intelligence had been different, I guess," he said, but would not say whether he would have pressed forward with the decision to invade Iraq if he had known otherwise: "That is a do-over that I can't do."

Bush also said that his administration had pressed for tougher regulations of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, but that push had been short-circuited by politics. He also said that many of the decisions that led to the economic crisis came from Wall Street before he arrived in the White House.

“I'm a little upset that we didn't get the reforms to Fannie and Freddie - on Fannie and Freddie, because I think it would have helped a lot,” he said. “And when people review the history of this administration, people will say that this administration tried hard to get a regulator. And there will be a lot of analysis of why that didn't happen. I suspect people will find a lot of it didn't happen for pure political reasons.”

Filed under: President Bush
soundoff (1,029 Responses)
  1. Eyckie

Josh – You are concerned about voting for morals and you vote Republican? In other words, you vote for men that have been caught in bathrooms looking for sex with other men. You vote for men that solicit sex from WH pages and other little boys? You vote for Republicans that incite racial violence against an man running for the American presidency? You vote for people that take benefits away from troops that have given their limbs and lives for OIL? You vote for men that give the most support to their rich buddies? You vote for party that supports white hoods and cross burning on lawns? You need now to go to Fox News and blog with the uneducated Republican base.

December 1, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  2. Lance

But dude, weren't you supposed to go after the guy responsible for 9/11? He's still out there, unpunished because friends of yours with connections to big military contracts wanted a long, expensive and (eventually) profitable war. It only cost American lives – something you can live with I'm sure.

Still, this is probably the most intelligent thing he's said in the past 8 years.

December 1, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  3. Nick

Flippity floop, flapitty flaw. Republicans got the bizurn.

All I have to say is:
    "You're either with us or you're with the terrorists." – W.

December 1, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  4. Tulsa

Carolyn December 1st, 2008 3:51 pm ET
    --------–
    Bush was president on 0/11 dearie.
    By the way, the progressive tax you refer to as "Marxism" was instituted by Teddy Roosevelt, a Republican and Senator McCain's "hero". (his word, not mine)
    Tell me what you mean by "polluted" please. As far as I can see, Christianity is about forgiveness, peace and giving to the poor. Where is it said by Christ that we should turn our backs on the poor, the cripled and the less fortunate?
    Isn't it the peacemakers that are blessed? The meek? The poor?
    Sounds to me that the Democrats are the ones who embody the teachings of Christ.

December 1, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  5. Brent Hall

Bush can think and say what he wants (ya think?), but the greater error lay elsewhere:

Now that it's over in one sense and beginning in another, the greater truth can now be stated: In one stroke, God has give our country what we needed, as well as what we deserve.

The RNC's subtile (and NOT so subtie) use of the Christians of this country, and many of those (I should say "we") same Christians' buying into their fear and hate rhetoric has brought the later of the above upon us.

Every one go back and listen to McCain & Palin's words about PE Obama, and ask yourselves: "Is that how a Christian should talk about another human being?" Those of you who said the same things, and even worse, ask yourselves the same question. Then we best ALL find ourselves on our knees.

December 1, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  6. Spencer/NY to VA

Duh. Is this idiot just now realizing that.

December 1, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. tfc

You think?

December 1, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. Purple Alaska

Oh, so now he wants part of his legacy to be that he was the reason we elected the first African American to the White House...?

Good try Dubya ~ have another drink.

December 1, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  9. AKI

THIS IS TURE .THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 1, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  10. Tulsa

Carolyn December 1st, 2008 3:51 pm ET
    -----
    OOPS! that's 9/11! Your hero W was president on 9/11!
    ......

December 1, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  11. Peter (CA)

Mark-

Which blogs are you reading?

All I see from the right wingers is predictions of impending doom. Taxes being doubled, welfare queens getting new Cadillacs, the deviants running the country, and (worst of all) socialized health care.

Pretty much everything except the rivers running blood red but I may have just missed that post. All we ask is that Obama be given the chance. If he does a poor job, then bring in a better candidate.
    (Yes, that does exclude Caribou Barbie.)

December 1, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  12. Sarah, Northern Colorado

I wonder if it ever occurred to the POTUS that the American people were just sick of fear tactics and fear-mongering, and chose hope and possibility over having our rights continuously taken away in an effort to keep the country "secure".

December 1, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  13. major

No one blames you, George. You were just following Cheney's orders.

December 1, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  14. Big Bill from Brooklyn

True Dat.

December 1, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  15. Big Bill from Brooklyn

True Indeed.

December 1, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  16. Bill in Charleston,SC

The reason there is a worldwide recession is we are the marketplace the world depends on.

December 1, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  17. Bob from Pittsburgh

Why do you blame Mr. Bush?

Go and look in the mirror... Americans Voted for Mr. Bush, ignorant to the fact that in the last 30 years every Republican administration has ended in recession, that evry Republican administration has had a war to tend to, or started a war, even though you already knew all of that, you still elected and reelected Mr. Bush, and now you complain..

He did not get to the White house by chance, he had many voters on his side, BLAME THE PEOPLE THAT VOTED FOR HIM…

December 1, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  18. Texas Teacher

Wally... you are talking out your behind... as my old daddy used to say! *LOL* Get a grip on reality!

Oh, wait a minute.... you might be only eight years old. :)

December 1, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  19. sim

WALLY WRITES: "President Bush has been the best president in my life-time." Wally's age matches his IQ: both 7.

December 1, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  20. Christine Doh

Without a doubt.

December 1, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  21. geen

WOW! the insights of this moron just never cease to amaze me! but, alas..as a moron, he is right on the money on this one...I'll go one step further and say that, aside of any other reasons voters cast their ballot for obama, the one singular underlying reason can be summed up in two words: "george bush". the first act of an obama administraion should be, not to celebrate his election, but to celebrate the departure of the moron...hopefully from the public eye forever...like billions around the world, I anxiously pray for that day!

December 1, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  22. tfc

When you make a loser president of your country, your country will become a loser also.

December 1, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  23. Jim

Doug from Jersey:

so you are saying lying to the American public, sidestepping the constitution and slowing taking away our civil liberties for the sake of "protecting us" is in the nations best interest? Ok, I guess everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. My opinion is that Bush will go down as one of the worst presidents our nation has ever had.

December 1, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  24. Roger

Wally siad : "President Bush has been the best president in my life-time."

I must ask, Wally... are you perhaps 8 yearr old or younger? If not, you truly may be the only person less intelligent than Bush!

December 1, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  25. Allen, Sugar Land, Texas

Worst President ever? I doubt it. I remember L.B.J. 58,000 dead Americans overwhelmes anything Bush and Rummie even thought about. Robert McNamara, ex-Ford Exec, KNEW the North Vietnam Army could not be defeated without all-out war. He told L.B.J that in '67, yet L.B.J refused to listen. McNamara is also at fault, worse than Rumsfeld. Also L.B.J., through the "GREAT SOCIETY" rendered the Black Male and, utilmately, the Black Family, obsolete.

December 1, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |