December 1st, 2008

Obama announces national security team

Obama rolled out his national security team Monday.
Obama rolled out his national security team Monday.

CHICAGO (CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama selected New York Sen. Hillary Clinton for the position of secretary of state Monday.

Obama also announced his decision to keep Defense Secretary Robert Gates in his current post, and named retired Marine Gen. Jim Jones as national security adviser.

Watch: Obama nominates Clinton to lead national security team

Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano has been named secretary of homeland security, Eric Holder as attorney general, and Susan Rice as United Nations ambassador.

"In this uncertain world, the time has come for a new beginning - a new dawn of American leadership to overcome the challenges of the 21st century, and to seize the opportunities embedded in those challenges," Obama said.

"To succeed, we must pursue a new strategy that skillfully uses, balances, and integrates all elements of American power: our military and diplomacy; our intelligence and law enforcement; our economy and the power of our moral example. The team that we have assembled here today is uniquely suited to do just that. They share my pragmatism about the use of power, and my sense of purpose about America's role as a leader in the world."

Full story

Filed under: Obama transition
  1. Barbara in NC

I'm very proud of our President-Elect.

Some of you rabble-rousers need to stop stirring the stink and start doing something positive for this country, or maybe even just one of your neighbors that is hurting. It's people like you all that make me ashamed for you.

Love it or Leave it.

December 1, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  2. Coleman R. Brice

I feel utterly disgusted and betrayed. This is change? A woman who lied about dodging sniper fire while accompanied by her child will be Secretary of State? This is is not what I voted for... Thanks alot Obama

December 1, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  3. Silvia, Maine

OBAMAAAAAAA!!!! Love this guy, he will do great things for this country.

December 1, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  4. DC Observer

Good for Senator Clinton - 4 years as Secretary State and then on to the Presidency in 2012.

December 1, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  5. Michelle, PA

I like most of the people on this list individually, but I wonder how well they'll work as a team. I also wonder how much involvement Biden will have in this area. That's a whole lot of big, hungry fish for one pond. Hope they play nice!

December 1, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  6. Steve in VA

We need to hurry up and bring the prisoners in Guantanamo Bay up to the US mainland. That way, they can escape and attack our cities and innocent civilians. India is having all the action now, it's not fair.

December 1, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  7. Angie-OHIO

Way to go President elect Obama. You have chosen a very excellent and strong team. May God be with you all.

December 1, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  8. setys

Excellent team. God Bless USA.

December 1, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  9. Becky

Ah, yes, now is the time for change. So, let's hire all kinds of folks from previous administrations. That's change you can believe in.

December 1, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  10. Shucks

America is on the verge of greatness again. The last eight years were unacceptable. I am extremely proud of what the American people did on November 4th. We showed the world what democracy is all about. We proved that the majority of Americans want change, and that those who don't are now in the minority. America means freedom for all of it's people, equal rights for all of it's people. Freedom from Religion for those who choose none. Freedom to love who you choose without Religious interference. Freedom to be who you are no matter your race, sex, age, sexual orientation, and all aspects of the American dream that require equality. I want to see this dream come true in my lifetime. Too bad that religion will pay such a little part in this great achievement, as it has always been a dividing factor in equality.

December 1, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  11. Anonymous

great picks all around

December 1, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  12. Scott Tucson

OUTSTANDING! Now we're finally getting rid of Napolitano and getting someone that can fix the budget mess that Napi left us.

December 1, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  13. Sérgio, Porto, Portugal

The New Dream Team? Maybe.

December 1, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  14. BJGT

Obama is not perfect, but he has great judgment, he's shrewd, he has great political instincts. I don't expect to agree with or even understand every decision he makes. I expect him to govern as promised and I expect to have disagreements and I expect some campaign promises to be broken. It's called politics and situations change.

And I expect him to be a great leader of this country.

December 1, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  15. Spencer/NY to VA

This sounds like a winning team to me. Each person in the administration has their own weight to bare. I love it! This what you call ACCOUNTABILITY.

December 1, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  16. Amanda, MI

Great future president, great team. The future is getting brighter and brighter.

December 1, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  17. wjc

Spectacular!

December 1, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  18. Fabian Blache, Baton Rouge, LA

I am pleased to see this process being handled as efficiently as the primary, and general campaigns.

This man is a natural born leader and someone who truly understands the value of weighing other's opinions in his deliberations.

December 1, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  19. Terri Ann ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Good luck and God speed to each of these nominees as they move forward for the security of America. They have an extraordinarily difficult job ahead of them due to the ineptness of the departing administration. It is time for ALL Americans to step up and show their support for the betterment of our country.

December 1, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  20. Pat

I find this troublesome for many reasons. However, I am rejoicing that it removes her from NY.

At least we'll have someone who is impervious to sniper fire, so Obama can send her to Mumbai right away and other dangerous places with peace of mind.

December 1, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  21. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

Obama's first big mistake.... Hillary will be a disaster.

December 1, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  22. carol

I've just watched Obama announce his new team...what a powerful team they will be, I think they have more than enough experience between them to do a fantastic job.
    Bravo, Obama you made a great selection

December 1, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  23. wjc

DC Observer – Give it a rest, or at least make it 2016. Geez!

December 1, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  24. Myrna Ulrich

EXCUSE ME FOLKS?? THIS IS MORE OF THE SAME, THIS IS NOT WHAT THE PUBLIC VOTED FOR !! I AM NOT SUPPORTING THIS AGENDA OR TEAM IN ANYWAY SHAPE OR FORM... AS WE SPEAK, THE ANTI WAR MOVEMENT ,AND PROGRESSIVES ARE WATCHING HIM LIKE A HAWK, AND IF WE HAVE TO WE WILL BE TAKE TO THE STREET,!! THIS IS NOT A GOOD DAY FOR THIS COUNTRY IF YOU ASK ME, AND I AM SURE ALL THE WORLD IS WATCHING... GRANFORCHANGE IN WISCONSIN

December 1, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |