December 1st, 2008

Obama announces national security team

Obama rolled out his national security team Monday.
Obama rolled out his national security team Monday.

CHICAGO (CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama selected New York Sen. Hillary Clinton for the position of secretary of state Monday.

Obama also announced his decision to keep Defense Secretary Robert Gates in his current post, and named retired Marine Gen. Jim Jones as national security adviser.

Watch: Obama nominates Clinton to lead national security team

Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano has been named secretary of homeland security, Eric Holder as attorney general, and Susan Rice as United Nations ambassador.

"In this uncertain world, the time has come for a new beginning - a new dawn of American leadership to overcome the challenges of the 21st century, and to seize the opportunities embedded in those challenges," Obama said.

"To succeed, we must pursue a new strategy that skillfully uses, balances, and integrates all elements of American power: our military and diplomacy; our intelligence and law enforcement; our economy and the power of our moral example. The team that we have assembled here today is uniquely suited to do just that. They share my pragmatism about the use of power, and my sense of purpose about America's role as a leader in the world."

Full story

Filed under: Obama transition
  1. LIP

57,000,000 people, nearly half of those voting in the Presidential election, voted against Obama/Hillary. Only 18,000,000 people voted for Hillary when she ran against Obama. Obama people made disparaging remarks about Hillary and likewise, Hillary people made disparaging remarks about Obama and yet Hillary becomes Secretary of State. Not much in the way of "Change" folks.
    Rememer this in 2012 if you can.

December 1, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  2. Rene, San Fran CA

"Myrna Ulrich"...people like you and your ignorance is what is "more of the same"...people like you in this country are the very ones that spew out the hatred and lies this country is hated for. Stop with your ignorance and support our President!

December 1, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  3. Dennis

Some people don't see these selections as "change". Did they expect President-elect to select a bunch of amateurs in the dangerous world we live in? Personally, I am happy to see him pick people with experience, smarts and stature. The "change" he was talking about was how the United States presented itself to the world, going from "shoot first" to "diplomacy first". He will set the course and his selectees will follow his direction. I have no doubt he would get rid of anyone who didn't.

December 1, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  4. Karen

Great decisions! Glad to see some thought and planning again.

December 1, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  5. Russell Jones

Becky- Please stop using Hannity to form your opinions- Why you'd trust the judgement of someone that voted for Bush twice is beyond me.

Change is already upon us, whether you choose to believe it or not.

Open your eyes and stop being so linear.

December 1, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  6. BJ

Good...gets her out of the Senate, and in four years time, gets her out of politics period.

December 1, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  7. Jaye

All EXCELLENT choices!!!!!

December 1, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  8. Janey

Love the way the Dems freak out every time Sarah Palin gets a post on this liberal blog! They can "hope" she will go away–but it is not happening! She is a breath of fresh air and America's hope for the future–in whatever capacity she chooses. You can see, by the number of comments and the crowds she commands that she is a force to be reckoned with! A true "walk the walk" person!

December 1, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  9. o supporter

I am lost for words. I hope this doesn't come back to hunt us.
    BEHIND you MR PRESIDENT

December 1, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  10. Steve in VA

Obama is just a figurehead at this point. Not a true leader.

December 1, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  11. JackNC

This has to be a very clever ploy. Hillary will not last more than 2 yrs in the job. Too many skeletons in the cupboard. She will probably step down when some shady deals get exposed by then. If by any chance Obama weakens which he will , he will not have Hillary breathing down his neck come reelection time. Mark my words. give it 2 years max.

December 1, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  12. Wait...What?

Hillary Clinton's good relations with the current President of Pakistan will help Obama and the country greatly. He's a smart man to pick her.

December 1, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  13. Ia Guy

Coleman R. Brice December 1st, 2008 11:00 am ET

I feel utterly disgusted and betrayed. This is change? A woman who lied about dodging sniper fire while accompanied by her child will be Secretary of State? This is is not what I voted for… Thanks alot Obama
    ------------

I love it!!!!!! :)

December 1, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  14. Pete

Ironically, Jim Jones has drank the Obama Kool-Aid.

December 1, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  15. DJ in TX

This is a strong and diverse team. It will be a challenge for President-Elect Obama to manage all of these strong personalities. But you can say that these are not just "yes" people and will tell Obama what they think is the right approach to situations. With this, you'll get the best compromise possible and the best decisions made for the country. Good job. This is exactly what I voted for. Even saying that, I'm sure I may disagree with some things the new administration does, but that's fine. There will be a lot I agree with as well.

December 1, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  16. James From Chicago

I think Obama made an excellent choice with Clinton, she is
    known and loved around the world. I am glad I voted for Obama
    as he is proving to be a great leader and is surrounding himself with
    great experienced people. I am sure Clinton will support him
    100% in all of his decisions and I think
    he will also respect her judgement.

December 1, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  17. Joseph Johnson

The people on this post you are disrespectful toward Hillary Clinton, get a life. She is more than qualifed to be SOS. Go Hillary!

December 1, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  18. Matt B

"It is time for ALL Americans to step up and show their support for the betterment of our country."

Ah yes, Terri Anne, just like the left did for President Bush during his time in office. Look, our current administration is a disaster and I'm glad to see it go. But this team that the President-Elect has selected is the same recycled politicians we've always had. There's no change there. I've read several posts that say to hold off being critical until he atleast takes office yet these are the same people who are annointing him the greatest President we have ever had and that it will be a great 8 years. He promised change, his supporters promised change and all he has done is play the same old Washington game. That's the reality and it's something his supporters should atleast acknowledge.

December 1, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  19. Meh

Steve in VA> What in the world are you talking about? Seems to me he is making a lot of (smart) decisions for someone who is supposedly not a "Real leader".

December 1, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  20. LB

I'm amazed that some of the people on here don't want Hilary for Secretary of State. I suppose you thought Sarah Palin was the more intelligent person for that job.

December 1, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  21. Rene, San Fran CA

oh, and I guess Condeleezza Rice was a good choice? give me a break! good luck Hilary! Great choice Mr. President!

December 1, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  22. k

BTW, he makes me whoosy and not in a good way! Your guy Obama is showing he does know one thing...that he doesn't know how to run a country so he's surrounding himself with people who do so THEY can tell HIM what to do. Kind of hard to win that "Bush is a puppet to Cheney" argument now though! I keep seeing his defenders state it's his policy of change that will matter, not who he puts in his administration...one DOES have to with the other, people!!

SOS, different president...that's change we CAN"T believe in!

December 1, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  23. David

Hey, she'll be fourth in the line of presidential succession! Lamar Alexander once said, "If you turn on the radio and hear the words 'President Alexander,' don't bother listening to anything else – just run!" He was Secretary of Education then – fourteenth in line.

December 1, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  24. RH, Ohio

HRC:
    she brings a lot of credibility to her position....
    no remarks that contradict past positions...
    no drama...
    no lies....
    honesty...
    no backstabbing...
    respect from world leaders...

.... and I thought I voted for change....

why couldn't she just go away?!!

December 1, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  25. ken

boy, i hope she knows that she has some pretty big shoes to fill. who is our current sec. of state again?

December 1, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |