December 1st, 2008

Obama transition releases donor list

(CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama’s transition team released its donor list Monday as part of a pledge to “to run the most open and transparent transition in history,” according to a written statement from the transition.

According to the statement, almost $1.2 million had been raised from 1,776 donors as of November 15. While Congress has appropriated $5.2 million for the transition, Obama’s team anticipates overall transition costs of roughly $12 million. The estimated $6.8 million funding gap will be closed by private donations — a task complicated by Obama’s strict limitations on both sources and amounts that can be given by any individual.

“The Obama-Biden Transition project only accepts contributions from individuals’ personal funds – we refuse all donations from corporations, labor unions, and PACs,” the statement noted. “Individuals may not donate more than $5,000. We also refuse all contributions from registered federal lobbyists and registered foreign agents.”

Last week, on Tuesday, the newly-named co-chairs of Obama’s inaugural committee — former Commerce Secretary William Daley, Obama campaign finance chair Penny Pritzker, national finance director Julianna Smoot, businessman John W. Rogers, and Republican Patrick Ryan — released a joint statement that the transition effort would not accept individual donations higher than $50,000.

For the past 20 years, federal funding requirements have called for transition teams to release a list of donors. That disclosure is not required until 30 days after the inauguration, but Obama has pledged to release those names on a monthly basis.

Filed under: Obama transition
  1. Catherine

Bravo President Elect Obama! I think we can all look forward to a man who not only says he will bring about change, but one who actually does!

December 1, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  2. Sensible Cape Coral FL

God bless America and all its citizens. A day to be proud.

December 1, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  3. Andy expat in DR

The beltway better be ready for a new Sheriff in town. Lobbiest and special interests need their say, but in the stark light of day. Let there be open doors, open ledgers, and no backroom deals. Let's put the people first or send them out the door, thank you very much.

December 1, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  4. Andrew Lee, Nashville, TN

$1.2 million had been raised from 1,776 donors

1776......hmmmm seems like a good number to me.

December 1, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  5. Former republican army wife

S.B. Stein, It amazes me how someone always has something bad to say. Here is a story about Obama simply opening up the record books, and you are already complaining about too much food, about charitable donations. Some people are never happy unless they are unhappy. I gave 50 for the party. I think that after 8 years of scare tactics, a depression, 2 wars, and the worst president in history, I believe that this country needs a PARTY. Go BIG Obama. We need to see some festivities on tv. We need to see a new beginning in Dc. We want a PARTY! This is an historic time in this country. Not only are we rid of the worst presidency ever, but we are ushering a young, intelligent, smart and confident new president. And to top it all off, not only is he all of the above, he is black too! Why not have a HUGE PARTY? A lot of his is donated money, and if we are willing to pay for pork-barrel spending, why can't our incoming president receive the bash he deserves? The country need this!

December 1, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  6. BobC

The man is BRILLIANT!!! Man, was he ever the right choice!

December 1, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  7. charlie in maine

" We also refuse all contributions from registered federal lobbyists and registered foreign agents.”

Change we can believe in.

Go Obama!!!

December 1, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  8. Truth in finance

Now if he could just release the names of his campaign contributors......

December 1, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  9. jerral

president obama elect
    from arkansas, we salute you
    what a good team you have put together, i feel so safe with you and hillary
    GOD BLESS YOU AND ALL THE COUNTRY AS A WHOLE WE WILL BE.

December 1, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  10. RJN

Don't forget to donate to Hillary, you selected a Secretary of State just as much in debt as the rest of the country.
    Good Job!!!
    I guess Hillary will be the next bail out ??

December 1, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  11. carol

Good for you Obama, start as you mean to go on....it's about time we saw some clarity at last, long overdue.....what a way to start his Presidency a man who actually does what he says, right off the bat!!!
    This is what I wanted in a President, someone who believes in accountability, starting at the very top, this man is going to make a wonderful President and he will make this country very proud....I for one am already very proud of what he has done so far in regard to all his new appointee's.
    He is going to have an awesome set of people working with him and together they will get this country back on the road to recovery......it won't be easy or quick, but by golly he will get it done.

December 1, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  12. Rebekah A.

I love Obama! I love what he stands for and I love the CHANGE that he'll bring this country.

December 1, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  13. YAM

GO BAMA, GO BAMA, GO!

December 1, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  14. Pandora

President-Elect Barack Obama is a man of God. God placed him in the white house. He is an honest man. As honest as any human being can be. Now – it's just like he said – he isn't perfect and neither are any of us. He will do his best. It is time for a new era! Praise God! I knew he was going to win this election. For the first time in my life I am really excited about this Man becoming the King of the United States of America! For those of you that didn't vote for him – what can I say NOBODY'S PERFECT!!! God Bless Obama and America!

December 1, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  15. James Carville

This disclosure is essentially begging in disguise.

December 1, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  16. larry

THIS IS....THE DREAM TEAM

December 1, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  17. Franky

I don't know why this is news but I think the biggest news is yet to come...and that's the BCS system! LOL!! Time to get this done and I know my boy said that'll he help out but we know the bosses are gonna make it hard. This should be on top of the agenda as far as I'm concerned! Who cares about the recession! LOL!!! Na'h, I'm just playing, I'm just playing...O.K, first BCS, then economy and national security, LOL!! Believe it or not, we were laughing over here if my boy wouldv'e talked about that in Texas, he probably wouldv'e got more votes and be a bit more competitive! LOL!! People love football and especially in the south...but let's get business done and that's the conomy and our country...who am I kidding, fix the system just like our markets are trying to be fixed! LOL!! Hey, trying to be balanced here, LOL!! I'm playing, I'm playing...

December 1, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  18. concern

TO ALL AMERICANS!!! WERE BACKKKKKK!

December 1, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  19. Ann

So that means the average from those donors is $675 and the rest will be from private donations. So who exactly are these 1776 (wonder if this number was picked for some reason) donors if they are not individuals as well? Sorry, I am not running to read a list of 1776 names either.

December 1, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  20. MikeH

And in more important news, the US has been in a recession since Dec '07. Why so long to officially announce we've been in a recession? Well the Republicans controlled the financial analysis and there was this presidential election they wanted to win.

The Republicans have nearly destroyed this country's economy in order to enrich themselves in money and power.

While I'm for "reaching across the aisle", it is not to shake hands with a pathological thief and liar.

The honorable Republicans, however few they may be, must repair their party if they can, otherwise the Republican party should die out for what it has done to America.

December 1, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  21. Sea.gem

I love reading this tripe...keep drinking the Kool-Aid and give your money to the con-man...he has alraeady broken three promises to you...you are like the fools in the movie Independence Day that gather on the roof to greet the aliens, then get slaughtered...reading comments from half-wits like you is better than most t.v....

December 1, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  22. tommy tutone

No donations from registered lobbyists? Great! Now how am I going to buy influence in the new Administration? I mean, c'mon Obama – you're messing with a solid American government institution!

What will all us bloodsuckers living on K Street, D.C. do now?

December 1, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  23. OMG

while this is all good and all, lets see the Clinton's foundations donors list, and lets SEEIT ALL

i hope he is not doing this to distract us all from the real issue, with clinton and his milllions from the saudis..

December 1, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  24. ed

It is Going to cost $12 million for the 75 day Transition???

That is approx $160,000 a day,and he is going to trim the spending
    in the Govenrment???

This is going to turnout to be a nightmare just like the Clinton administration,OH WAIT,I do believe it is the Clinton Administration,almost.

Just wait for your paychecks to get alot smaller real soon

December 1, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |