December 1st, 2008

Obama transition releases donor list

(CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama’s transition team released its donor list Monday as part of a pledge to “to run the most open and transparent transition in history,” according to a written statement from the transition.

According to the statement, almost $1.2 million had been raised from 1,776 donors as of November 15. While Congress has appropriated $5.2 million for the transition, Obama’s team anticipates overall transition costs of roughly $12 million. The estimated $6.8 million funding gap will be closed by private donations — a task complicated by Obama’s strict limitations on both sources and amounts that can be given by any individual.

“The Obama-Biden Transition project only accepts contributions from individuals’ personal funds – we refuse all donations from corporations, labor unions, and PACs,” the statement noted. “Individuals may not donate more than $5,000. We also refuse all contributions from registered federal lobbyists and registered foreign agents.”

Last week, on Tuesday, the newly-named co-chairs of Obama’s inaugural committee — former Commerce Secretary William Daley, Obama campaign finance chair Penny Pritzker, national finance director Julianna Smoot, businessman John W. Rogers, and Republican Patrick Ryan — released a joint statement that the transition effort would not accept individual donations higher than $50,000.

For the past 20 years, federal funding requirements have called for transition teams to release a list of donors. That disclosure is not required until 30 days after the inauguration, but Obama has pledged to release those names on a monthly basis.

Filed under: Obama transition
  1. Gobama

My name is on that list :)

My Prayers go out to our Leader in Uncertain times.

Yes we Did!

December 1, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  2. norma wilkinson

I can't believe that we may be getting our beautiful country back. I pray that all the naysayers will get behind this new young man that is about to guide us into the coming year and give him a chance. We've done that before and sometimes we won, sometimes we lost. I believe this time WE WIN>.

December 1, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  3. hugh ~ california

Responsible journalism should include responses from all viewpoints, censoring only mindless chatter, the ludicrious and offensive. The political ticker needs to filter reponses with more fairness and discretion. I'm just trying to promote the ideal of "keepin' 'em honest."
    I digress form the point of discussion–Obama has been the most transparent candidate in recent history.

December 1, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  4. Adarsh

Thank God Mr Bush is finally sure. I guess he was the only person in USA who was not sure of that.

December 1, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  5. Jesus

Who is Creator?

December 1, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  6. David S.

Now will he release the list of donors who contributed to the campaign when he was running? It would be interesting to see how many foreign interests are on that list in violation of US law. Of course, THAT list will never be shown.

December 1, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. GaVoter

Now you know why the progressively corrupt MSM never asked Obama to define 'Change'.

December 1, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  8. Tired of W, OH

1,776 donors? As in 1776, the year of the signing of our declaration of independence? How appropriate, given that we as a country are declaring independence from Bush's policies.

December 1, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  9. Jackie in Dallas

Wow. Transparency and accountability. Responsibility. Reliability. We haven't used those words about a President for at least seven years!

But don't forget, the majority of those words are based on "ability", the definition of the man Barack Obama. Thank God, because we have monster problems to deal with! He'll get my $20 when I get home, too! It would be more, but I'm still fighting to keep my home due to the GOP screw ups of the economy!

December 1, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  10. J fromLI

God Bless America, and the New Administration.

December 1, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  11. chris from STL

This is great, PE Obama.

I'll contribute some .... I did not know that the transition team needed additional private funding ....

December 1, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  12. Marie in California

I'm still waiting to see the list of Obama's donors from the primaries and the general election. The Obama camp has steadfastly refused to disclose that information, despite the fact that McCain did so without asking.

I think a whole bunch of Obama's donations came from foreign money....used to help control the American election process.

Dirty.

December 1, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  13. Ia Guy

If he doesn't raise the funds he needs, he'll flip-flop just like he did with his stance on public financing.

December 1, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  14. Vee

What a change...what a change...

Excellent move and won't go un-noticed. I know my small donation doesn't mount to much, but when it's bunched together with thousands others, it'll go far.

I'm sending my donation next!!

December 1, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  15. Noah

Actually, Texas Teacher, Obama owes the entire nation not simply the 53% who voted for him. You were undoubtedly one of the loud mouth's who pined anytime Bush made a decision you disagreed with. Now that your guy is in office he doesn't owe anyone but the people who elected him? Doesn't that go against everything he ran on? He has already gone back on his promise of change so will he now go back on his promise of bipartisan politics? Most likely.

I also find it startling that so many liberals are only proud of their country when they elect a Democrat. You guys need to check whose side you are on.

December 1, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  16. Janey

OMG–the Obamabots are still drinking kool-aid! Are they still being paid? That darn Oprah–never runs out of money for "the One".!

December 1, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  17. Myra J

Cleary Bush can't explain policy so I would be happy to see someone explain it in a way that is coherent and from someone who earned their education and did not buy it.

December 1, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  18. Thomas

Could anyone imagine Bush/Cheney being so open?

This is but one of the first steps in the right direction for the government.

December 1, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  19. ben

When Napolean was crowned emperor of France, he took the crown away from the pope and placed it upon his own head. This coronation was simple and cost very little. Why does it cost so much to swear in a president? I would think in these economic times, a simple I DO SWEAR
    would be enough!!!!!!

December 1, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  20. silver bells

america we are on our way to a better world.

December 1, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  21. Lone Eagle

Barack Obama will have made a Transition when the World see him place his hand over his heart when the National Anthem is played. and as Chef of All in this United States of America, when he salutes the American Flag as should do, but has yet to do.
    Also, I want to see him sworn in on the Bible of the Faith this country was built on In God We Trust.. Not the Koran as he has done one before.. Amen !!!!!!!
    At that point, I then will belive he is ready to lead us right as all past Presidents have done their best to do in the past.. Not all of them where Trusted either and no man is perfect. So give him his chance now. Watch and Listen and then you will know how true he is (or) will be to this Country USA.......

December 1, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. S. Boatman Warrensburg Mo.

This Man Is Going To Be A Great President!

December 1, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  23. Joyce in Indiana

It is becoming clearer to me every day that with this president, the citizens of this country have won a great victory!

BTW, PE Obama, my check is in the mail. :-)

December 1, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  24. sene

This is what you call a smart man who delivers!!!

December 1, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  25. Vy, California

GOD!! what a man. Finally a real stand up guy in the white house. We the people deserve this government!!

A government we can be proud of...

December 1, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |