December 2nd, 2008

Biden to Palin: With the race over, ‘no one pays attention to me’

Biden said that Palin attending the NGA conference Tuesday is a sign the election is over.

(CNN) – In the first few moments of his remarks to the National Governors Association Tuesday, Vice President-elect Joe Biden thanked fall rival Sarah Palin for attending the bi-partisan conference, saying it’s a “a metaphor for the fact that this election is over.”

“I want to thank all of you for being here and Governor Palin I want to thank you particularly," Biden said to the Alaska governor. “I think it is, I hope, the whole country can see it’s sort of a metaphor for the fact that this election is over and here we are.

“We’re all together, we’re all dealing with a common [economic] problem,” he continued. “This is not a Democrat or Republican problem, we’ve got ourselves a problem.”

President-elect Obama and his VP greeted Palin as they walked into the room to a standing ovation. In his opening comments, Biden lamented the lack of attention he now receives compared to Palin.

“As I told you when we walked in, since the race is over no one pays attention to me at all,” Biden told Palin as the governors laughed. “So maybe you’ll walk outside with me or something later and say hello to me.”

Biden’s comments were just his third set of public remarks since Election Day.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. Ken

Don't worry Joe, she is the lead freak in the [R] sideshow. Once everyone pays their quarter and has a look at the freak, the sideshow will close.

December 2, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  2. Changes in WA

With a bit of luck, Sarah will soon go home to Alaska and stay there for a while.....until the next gubenatorial election and she can be replaced.

December 2, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  3. BS not Maverick

we are watching!

December 2, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  4. Dr.Mimi De La Cruz

VP.BIDEN, SIR

SHE DOES WHAT YOU CAN'T AND WON'T.

SHE WOKS THE POLE, WHILE SPEWING HATE.

THAT SIR TAKES VERY SPECIALIZED TALENTS.

December 2, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  5. Jackie in Dallas

It is a joke that isn't funny. Biden, a man of intelligence and courage taking second fiddle position to a women with no ethics, no morals, and no brains. It is sad.

CNN, a challenge. Everytime you print a story about Palin, you MUST find a way to print a story about Biden.

December 2, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  6. katiec

I hope Palin realizes this was not a compliment to her.
    In plain words, she lost, regardless of her efforts to draw attention
    and the media's support of her. Biden does not need to be in
    the limelight, he is our next vice president.
    She is a wannabe who will never make it.

December 2, 2008 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm |
  7. Barbara in NC

Joe – put on some lipstick, shake your hips, wink a lot – I'm sure you'll get the same kind of attention she does. ha ha ha ha ha

Everyone wants to see the two-headed snake at the circus, but no one wants it in their house.

December 2, 2008 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm |
  8. Give me a clue

Who is Joe Biden?

December 2, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  9. ChicagoSuz

Ya gotta love Joe Biden... :-)

December 2, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  10. silver bells

vp biden, you are the man that will take charge if the need should come up, you don't need the kind of attention that the governor of alaska is getting, she'll be gone soon, you will still be the one we are counting on, be blessed.

December 2, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  11. Laverne

Does somebody's ego need to be stroked?? Oh Joe, say it aint so!

December 2, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  12. obama-mama

I hope air head Sarah doesn't take Biden's comment as a compliment. I can see her smiling from ear to ear. He knows she is a dimwit.

December 2, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  13. rm

I love Joe Biden.

December 2, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  14. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Give it a chance, Joe. You ain't officially in office yet!

December 2, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  15. I'm Not Missing The Old Mule & Winky Half-baked Alaska

Palin is not near smart enough to realize that the election is over, Joe, so I'm glad someone smarter than she could ever hope to be (probably includes the rest of the crowd gathered for that matter) could be there to explain it to her in terms not over her head which is a reach, I know.

December 2, 2008 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  16. D

Joe keep your distance.......

Remember Republicans, you can't win on a base only election bid.

Palin vs. Obama, get real, she
    could never match wits with someone of his intellect.

Besides moderates like me, can't stand Palin.
    She's dangerously ignorant and doesn't even know it.
    She rambles on and on like she can't complete a simple declarative sentence. Who wants someone like that near the Whitehouse.
    Come on get a grip, throw some real competition into the ring.

December 2, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  17. Jaberwokie

Madam Palin is over, finished and back where she belongs. A freak with a husband who just drooled at the thought of his wife becoming the vp.
    I wonder have all the clothes and Todds boxers been handed back, we should be told.
    For me, the governors will put her in her place back in the kitchen Good ridence too.

December 2, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  18. Feminist in Oregon

Will she finally now go back to Alaska and take care of her children?

December 2, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  19. an independent

Palin Free – Please!!!

December 2, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  20. Lynn

You go, Joe the VPE. She may get more attention, but who won the job?

December 2, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  21. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

Folks, I want to say that is funny. Let me repeat that, that is funny.

December 2, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  22. Michael, Houston Texas

Don't worry Biden, we pay attention to you because we want to see all the changes that was promised, we pay attention to Palin because we want to get a sneek peek at the next Saturday Night Live skit done by Tina Fey. You the man Joe but let the comedians tell the jokes and you sir stick with getting us as a country in a better place.

December 2, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  23. Jos/TN

i think he was telling her to sit down, because she no rock star, i give credit where it is due

December 2, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  24. Rob

Joe Biden is a blabbering idiot. Hopefully, him and Barry Ohno! will lose the next election, but until then, it's best for everyone concerned that he continues to be ignored.

December 2, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  25. Ken in Dallas

We don't watch Joe all the time because we don't need to. Biden has our trust, and we offer a certain casual neglect to leaders we trust.

December 2, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |