December 2nd, 2008

Biden to Palin: With the race over, ‘no one pays attention to me’

Biden said that Palin attending the NGA conference Tuesday is a sign the election is over.

(CNN) – In the first few moments of his remarks to the National Governors Association Tuesday, Vice President-elect Joe Biden thanked fall rival Sarah Palin for attending the bi-partisan conference, saying it’s a “a metaphor for the fact that this election is over.”

“I want to thank all of you for being here and Governor Palin I want to thank you particularly," Biden said to the Alaska governor. “I think it is, I hope, the whole country can see it’s sort of a metaphor for the fact that this election is over and here we are.

“We’re all together, we’re all dealing with a common [economic] problem,” he continued. “This is not a Democrat or Republican problem, we’ve got ourselves a problem.”

President-elect Obama and his VP greeted Palin as they walked into the room to a standing ovation. In his opening comments, Biden lamented the lack of attention he now receives compared to Palin.

“As I told you when we walked in, since the race is over no one pays attention to me at all,” Biden told Palin as the governors laughed. “So maybe you’ll walk outside with me or something later and say hello to me.”

Biden’s comments were just his third set of public remarks since Election Day.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. Kel in Auburn, AL

Joe the Vice-President-Elect!

December 2, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  2. Maryann Rose

I do love Joe Biden! I wish he would get more attention. I agree with Jackie in Dallas – every time we see Sarah, we need to see JOE!!

Every time I hear Ms. Palin speak, I thank our lucky stars that we dodged THAT bullet.

I much prefer 'Joe the VP' to 'Joe the Plumber'.

December 2, 2008 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  3. That Other Jerry

Sarah Palin has done nothing more or less than govern her state, accept an offer to run for higher office, conduct a brief campaign, and make a few public appearances since the election. Certainly she's done nothing to justify the absurd amount of idiotic, childish, moronic rubbish that spews from the keyboards of the tribe of proto-humanoids that camp out on this website. It's way past time for all of you to get a life. Stop by the convenience store, get a six-pack and a copy of the Weekly World News, head on back to your trailer, and turn on the TV. Pro wrestling will be on shortly. The sooner you stop trying to think like the grownups, the sooner your head will stop hurting.

December 2, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  4. Thalia, MN

He's funny, and I really like him. He'll be a great VP because he knows when to be serious and when to inject a little humor.

December 2, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  5. Erik from Real Pennsylvania

The woman is a loon. Everyone pays attention to a train wreck.

December 2, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  6. Vice

He got what he wanted, all his life, a vice-presidency instead of presidency. Watch out, Obama, a lot of people have their own selfish ambition, in the long run, it is human nature, rather imperfect, sinful and self-centered. Anyone can say anything in public, but only God knows what is in his heart, and his secret past.

December 2, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  7. G

Hopefully Palin will soon just go away you think Hillary only cares about herself and her career just look at Palin and you are looking at the second generation lol. It's not that she doesn't know certain things that borther me what borther's me is that it seems like she doesn't care to find out these things. She acts like she is annoy we would expect her to know these things. I will take Biden over Palin anyday don't worry Biden you have nothing to envy.

December 2, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  8. tyler (portland, OR)

Ya I dont want Joe to be in the spotlight. I dont want him to be a media hotshot. I just want a modest, intelligent person to do his job well without outside distraction.

Good Luck man, this wont be easy.

December 2, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  9. Judy Miami Fl

don't respond to any article that carries Palin's name – maybe CNN will finally understand we don't care about her and her BS!
    Resit the urge to even read the article. It can be done.

December 2, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  10. Debbie H

Believe me, Joe – we are paying attention, and we are so thankful you are where you are!:)

December 2, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  11. shirley ann

Thanks Vice President Joe Biden for putting her in her place in a nice way. She is the only one who thinks the election is still going on.

December 2, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  12. Cruzan Obama Mama

What I want to know is....Who is watching the kids while she is running laps around the country and speaking into every microphone? I thought she said this was time to put family first....is this how she does it? At least McCain took some time out to go back to his family. No wonder her home-life is in disarray. Before anyone even goes there....I too am a working mother with my priorities in the right order, unlike Palin.

Biden, you do not need the kind of attention she is getting. She is being used as entertainment and is to clueless to notice.

Hopefully (fingers & toes crossed) she will be gone soon. Heck, isn't the grandbaby coming soon!!!! Maybe that will lure her back to Alaska.

December 2, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  13. Nick

Joe, you're not a train wreck. And boy do we love to watch a good train wreck. Or a car flying off a cliff. Flaming car. Maybe a flaming train going off the cliff.

December 2, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  14. Winner

This is her way of trying to apologize to the american people for all the harm she and her fellow wanna be President caused during the Presidential race.
    I don't think that she'll ever make it much further than being Governor of Alaska.

December 2, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  15. Business Owner In NY

It amazes me every time for some reason how hate filled the left seems to be even still after winning the election. Sore losers and sore winners.

December 2, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  16. yellowbmblbee, Boston

gag me with a moose antler...CNN, start writing about Britney or Paris again.....they're actually more intelligent.

December 2, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  17. beth

Hey Joe, You are better off having no attention paid to you. The only reason anyone pays attention to Palin is because she's so pathetic. Soon her second grandchild will be born and she can go crawl back under her rock and we will never hear from her again. YEAH!!!!

December 2, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  18. Jenn

Jackie in Dallas December 2nd, 2008 12:18 pm ET

It is a joke that isn't funny. Biden, a man of intelligence and courage taking second fiddle position to a women with no ethics, no morals, and no brains. It is sad.

CNN, a challenge. Everytime you print a story about Palin, you MUST find a way to print a story about Biden.
    Jackie 1 question
    Why does CNN have to print a story about Biden if he has done nothing to warrant a story?? Obama has put a muzzle on him, gee I wonder why , Joe has always been a open mouth insert foot type of guy and Obama doesn't need that right now.

Palin has been asked and invited to all the events she has attended and you people make it out lkike she is the devil for going and then the news covering it.
    People need to grow up and stop the nonsense, If you don't like her then don't read the story. If you don't want her in the public eye move to Alaska and vote her out of office and if none of these suggestions are to your liking to bad get used to her being in the public eye because she's not going away.

December 2, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  19. karen-phoenix

Highly intellegent man and soooo well educated!!! He and Obama make a perfect team and we as middle America are sooo blessed to have them. They will do good for all of us!!! Please, Palin just go away and raise what is left of your family so the rest of them DO NOT drop out of high school like the first group has!!! Apparently, education is NOT a priority in Alaska!!! Palin has none!!!

December 2, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  20. Marnie

Wow – you peeps are evil!! And mean!! Where is the UNITY??? Anonymous hate mongering – what a country.

December 2, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  21. xcusme

It's ok Joe, the type of attention she gets is not what you want.

December 2, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  22. Sue

This is a good thing Joe... with no one paying attention to the Obama cabinet, this would be a great opportunity to ram home some good quality policy in the interests of the people. If they were paying attention, they would dispute them, just like most of them wanted the rich to run the country...

December 2, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  23. Michael-Ventura,CA

Love Joe Biden!

December 2, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  24. Sean

Mr. Biden,
    You are the one we respect, love, and count on to support our next president. We are here for you. And good for you for having a sense of humor about the whole thing!

December 2, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  25. Lisa P

I like Joe - he's the King of Self-Deprecating Humor. I hope they put him in charge of Mellowing Things Out and Keeping Things In Perspective :-)

December 2, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |