December 2nd, 2008

Biden to Palin: With the race over, ‘no one pays attention to me’

Biden said that Palin attending the NGA conference Tuesday is a sign the election is over.

(CNN) – In the first few moments of his remarks to the National Governors Association Tuesday, Vice President-elect Joe Biden thanked fall rival Sarah Palin for attending the bi-partisan conference, saying it’s a “a metaphor for the fact that this election is over.”

“I want to thank all of you for being here and Governor Palin I want to thank you particularly," Biden said to the Alaska governor. “I think it is, I hope, the whole country can see it’s sort of a metaphor for the fact that this election is over and here we are.

“We’re all together, we’re all dealing with a common [economic] problem,” he continued. “This is not a Democrat or Republican problem, we’ve got ourselves a problem.”

President-elect Obama and his VP greeted Palin as they walked into the room to a standing ovation. In his opening comments, Biden lamented the lack of attention he now receives compared to Palin.

“As I told you when we walked in, since the race is over no one pays attention to me at all,” Biden told Palin as the governors laughed. “So maybe you’ll walk outside with me or something later and say hello to me.”

Biden’s comments were just his third set of public remarks since Election Day.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. freak show

Americans love train wrecks. That's why Palin gets all the attention.

Joe Biden is too nice, smart, normal, and functional to get media attention. For the record, though, I think he's lucky that the media largely ignores him.

December 2, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  2. Lisa, Texas

Such horrible remarks from what I believe to be adults.
    Gov, Palin is a very intelligent woman. Why do you people want to slam her? VP-elect Joe Biden is a great man, also. Although neither he or Obama were my choice, I would never speak of them the way the last commenters have. I am ashamed of you people.

December 2, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  3. Bill Klewitz, Albany, Georgia

Oh Joe, she already has a plumber, and Todd the mechanic and dipstick, her Maverick is up on blocks in the front yard while McCain's Maverick is in India. He put everything on hold for this emergency trip to work things out between the Paki's and Indi's.....Don't worry Sarah, Johnny will be home soon, just play with Joe, the Champ.

December 2, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  4. Jay

Ken... no need to comment on this one, you took the words right out of my mouth :-)

December 2, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  5. Jim

With the vitriol and hatred from the extremist left after an election they won, one wonders what they would be saying if they had lost.

Now is the time for us to come together and govern, not continue campaign rhetoric. Liberals, listen to your leader and realize that the campaign is over. Seriously.

December 2, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  6. wnw

Sarah 2012, you betcha!

December 2, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  7. Rob in Texas

Don't worry Joe...be gald no one pays attention to you for the reasons they do Palin. The attention she's getting isn't the positive kind.

December 2, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  8. Helene

Palin who ?

December 2, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  9. Debbie

We love you Joe. Palin will soon go back to Alaska and stay there. It takes her awhile to catch on.

December 2, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  10. Griff

"The Race", is not over! Your Racing to your Doom... Your compleat destruction. America.... You had so little to look forward to. You Gambled on a Loser.....

December 2, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  11. Silence Dogood

The reason is Biden talks like all the other politicians. Even though I do not agree with her, at least Palin is a straight talker. You what you don't like right away. Refreshing comparerd to most other politicians including Obama / Biden, who go through an entire speech and haven't even expressed a concrete opinion.

Palin: "I like hunting."(crowd unhappy)

Obama: "I think all americans would consider equality and change in our approach to animals for all people all the time and I will consider all opinions." (crowd cheers)

(not actual quotes but they could be)

December 2, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  12. Georgia Gal

Of course no one is paying attention to Joe. He isn't be thrust into our face 24/7 like Sarah is and trust me, Joe ... that is a good thing. You're much better off this way.

December 2, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  13. jon

Jenn the point everyone is making here is that Sarah Palin is going to events that dont merit coverage from the media. YOu dont see Governors from every state having news articles written about them every day like her. The woman sneezes and she gets coverage. Find me an article about Dan Quayle after he lost the election and I will say this Sarah Palin coverage is warranted.

December 2, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  14. Tony

For the life of me, I could not understand why Gov Palin still gets so much media attention. But it makes since now, its like having a clown at the circus being the centre of attraction "I guess she is the clown of American politics. I honestly don't mean to sound so harsh but its the real truth.. This woman has not a clue... and to believe she was Sen. McCain choice for VP.. I lost tremendous respect for McCain judgment when he picked her.

December 2, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  15. PURPLE HEART

JOE SHOULD HAVE ASKED HER IF SHE ATE TOO MUCK TURKEY BECAUSE TO THOSE WHO KNOW WHERE TO LOOK,ALL WE CAN SEE IS TURKEY MEAT IN HER HEAD AND NOT BRAINS.

December 2, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  16. Rush Lameduck

Joe, all you need is a G string and a pole to dance with,and you will get much more attention too.

December 2, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  17. MikeH

Rob, methinks the blabbering idiot is you.

A Bible-Belt-educated person are you? Have a weight problem? Think humans rode on the backs of dinosaurs? Then Sarah Palin's your hero.

December 2, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  18. Azalea

CNN – DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GET RID OF CAMPBELL BROWN. SENT HER BACK TO NBC, YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF.

December 2, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  19. tamika

Sounds like a lot of Democrats are afraid of the lady. So much so, that they resort to name calling and gender biased comments. Now that we have a black president, I hope to one day see the day that all women will also be treated equally to men and given the respect they deserve. Comments such as the ones in this blog have no place in the work place, no place in government, and no place in society in general. These comments only hurt the Democrats by their sheer cruelty and brutality. Go ahead fellow Democrats. Kick yourselves in the balls. There will come a day that women will not tolerate this kind of talk about anyone of their gender regardless of which political party they represent.

December 2, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  20. Chase

OK, as Biden said, the election is over. You wouldn't know it by the tone of the blogs on both sides.

Whether you like them, or not, Obama and Biden HAVE to succeed. If they don't, we are ALL in a lot of trouble.

Bipartisnship got us into this mess, cooperation will get us out. That goes for both sides of the aisle.

Stop talking about Palin and how much you hate her, because that doesn't matter now. Instead of spewing more hate, by saying she spews hate, ask yourself...what have you done today that will help a fellow American (Republican, Democrat, or otherwise) get through this crisis? How are you making this country a better place? Certainly not by complaining on an online blog!

December 2, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  21. Roger

Don't worry Joe....we know and pray that you are running the show behind the scenes for the safety of all of us.

December 2, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  22. Laverne

Sometimes silence is golden because the most of the time the loudest on in the room is saying the least!

December 2, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  23. Maggie Muggins

Let's keep Sara in the limelight it is the best thing for the Democrats and the country as a whole. The GOP hasn't figured out why they can't get half of the votes as yet and if we are lucky they will want a Palin to keep their base of bible thumpers the rest of the country rejects.

December 2, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  24. cool onlooker

I love Joe's sense of humor.

Mr. VP, the attention and success is not just measured by limelight.

You are a winner and will always be.

December 2, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  25. LEAD FREAK

Biden is a plagiarist and butt smoocher royale. His muzzle is tight, as he was a means to an end, and nothing more. Biden is pathetic; sold his soul and his country out at the same time. Just cannot wait to see the international crisis upcoming (as predicted by BIDEN) – will that somehow become Bush's or Palin's fault?? b/c nothing tarnishes Barry or Joe. Don't mess with the messiah or his boy.

December 2, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |