December 2nd, 2008

Biden to Palin: With the race over, ‘no one pays attention to me’

Biden said that Palin attending the NGA conference Tuesday is a sign the election is over.

(CNN) – In the first few moments of his remarks to the National Governors Association Tuesday, Vice President-elect Joe Biden thanked fall rival Sarah Palin for attending the bi-partisan conference, saying it’s a “a metaphor for the fact that this election is over.”

“I want to thank all of you for being here and Governor Palin I want to thank you particularly," Biden said to the Alaska governor. “I think it is, I hope, the whole country can see it’s sort of a metaphor for the fact that this election is over and here we are.

“We’re all together, we’re all dealing with a common [economic] problem,” he continued. “This is not a Democrat or Republican problem, we’ve got ourselves a problem.”

President-elect Obama and his VP greeted Palin as they walked into the room to a standing ovation. In his opening comments, Biden lamented the lack of attention he now receives compared to Palin.

“As I told you when we walked in, since the race is over no one pays attention to me at all,” Biden told Palin as the governors laughed. “So maybe you’ll walk outside with me or something later and say hello to me.”

Biden’s comments were just his third set of public remarks since Election Day.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. roy

I think the Democrats should forter and mentor a few (and I do NOT mean this in a sexist manner!!) attractive women of varying ethnicities and get them into positions of high visibility....THAT will make Palin disappear into the politicasl ether. Sarah Palin is NOT famous or popular because of anything to do with her brain..PERIOD!

December 2, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  2. Dave

I will show Biden and Obama the same respect all you democrats showed to Bush and Chaney!

December 2, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  3. Sharon Kitchen

Vice President-Elect Biden,
    This was a very good meeting and hopefuly all the outcomes and ideas will become jobs for those that do not have one or have just today lost their job. Then, after the pay checks are recieved and everyone is able to pay their bills on time,have a home to live in,a way to get back and forth to work,their pride uplifted and the U.S.A. climbing back up the hill from the 8 year bad freefall,the U.S. will again be looked at as a role model.
    Do not be to worried about not being noticed for a short while..........the work is on the way. The news will be reporting to anyone who will listen, the good work.......or the problems.
    You will be noticed..........I am glad you still have the sense of humor that makes you you. We will all need this in the days and weeks and years ahead as we all work together.
    LOOKING FORWARD TO THE IGNAGURATION DAY !!!!!!!!

Go Obama/Biden and staff

December 2, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  4. Inspektah Deck

Well gee there, Joe maybe you should just say more stupid stuff more often and just forget everything you ever learned about subject/verb agreement and proper syntax and sentence structure-

And also too, wrinkle your nose and wink a lot and say adorable things like "you betcha!" and darnit- I'd bet those gotcha reporters will pay al heckuva lot more attention to ya!

Oh, and also too, it's gotta be all about job creation...

December 2, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  5. Keith in CA

Sarah Palin is the Paris Hilton of politics.

December 2, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  6. Virginia

Poor poor Joe! We are so sad no one pays attention to you now–but then who did before you were elected VP??? At least Sarah didn't have a scowl the whole time she debated you......

December 2, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  7. mary, colorado springs

Joe: I would much rather listen to you than Sarah. Your words have substance and common sense; hers are so full of hot air I don't know how she keeps her feet on the ground.

REMEMBER: You are the one going to the White House, not Sarah.

Sarah: It's over. The fat lady has sung. The orchestra has gone home. The lights have been turned out. The doors have been locked. Take your parka and mush back to Alaska.

December 2, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  8. Truth Hurts

Nobody paid attention to Biden before either.

December 2, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  9. John from LA

Hey bots-your Messiah won!-why spew hatred at the repubs????-I thought your leader taught you not to speak ill of others???

Typical bots!

December 2, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  10. FLewis

Sarah, pls. go back to Alaska. My husband and I are sooooooooooooo sick of looking at your face and hearing your voice. We were hoping that once the election was over, you will return to Alaska and do your Governor's work, and what about your kids? Who's taking care of them? Oh yeah..........What's your jerk husband's name? Anyway, leave us alone. We can't stand you. Go back to Alaska, please, please, please!

December 2, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  11. carol

Good on you Joe, still injecting some humour into things....the election is over and we do all have to come together and I think Obama made a good speech to the Governer's, showing he wants all their input and that he doesn't know it all.
    I think he is showing all the makings of a great President.

December 2, 2008 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  12. Sweetie

Joe,

This is just the start......

Your job was to get the Empty Suit in office...

Now be ready should the Empty Suit's Hart stop beading!

Sarah is the voice of the American people and she will continue to be heard!

December 2, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  13. silver bells

VP BIDEN, YOU ARE A 10+ palin is a 0-

December 2, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  14. Matt

Who is he kidding? Conan the Delawarian scoffs at the Palinbot's 15 minutes!!!

And any republican trying to pin vitriol on the "liberal left" can go pound sand. After what your party did to our government and our political processes during the past three elections you're lucky it's just words we're hurling, not fresh feces.

December 2, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  15. No Hillary = No Obama

That's why Hillary should have been chosen as VP and Biden as Secretary of State. Obama's ego would not let him do that and so as far as I'm concerned he turned his back on history while claiming history – sorry, but this was pure selfishness and it stopped history in it's tracks. So what's so great about Obama? He's just one more ego-driven politician.

December 2, 2008 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  16. Fed up

Every time I see an article about a Republican the comments are filled with lies and hate. No facts, just emotional bile. And half the comments call the republicans the party of hate. The only "hate" I've seen from the Republicans is using a candidates past against them. That's not hate, that's the truth (and sometimes it hurts). I don't expect this to ever get posted, and if it does I'm sure I will be insulted and dismissed as ignorant. Is this the way Democrats lead? Is this what we should expect from the majority party? If so, your time in the hot seat will be short.

December 2, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  17. Franck

you mean she should go back to " I' ll ask 'her". Somewhat good for the country, but no so much for the mousse population up there near russia!

December 2, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  18. Larry

I have a serious question,are the people that hate Sarah Palin that post here,are they the Democrats that are the gay people in the party??

December 2, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  19. Mickey-Texas

I'm behind you VP-Biden. Don't worry about Sarah. she has no clue how people really feel about her, she is still just a novelty. I think you were the perfect pick!

December 2, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  20. JL

Spoken like a true republican, Vice.

Greed, corruption, and secret ambitions may be what the Bush gang was about, but has never been, nor will ever be what Joe Biden is all about.

December 2, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  21. reginald smith fairfax va

some one should tell her that as soon as she apoligizes to people she considered unamerican and apoligize to the obama family by putting them in danger with her rhetoric and does this before she is forced to then i and a lot of people will look at her different. until then she is a divisive and dangerous person to minrites and to people who dissagree with her politically.

SO SARAH APOLIGIZE OK . DONT LOSE UR PRINCIPLE BUT VITRIOL IS WRONG.

December 2, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  22. Prakash, Canada

Dont waste your time paying attention to her Mr Biden. She doesnt deserve any special attention whatsoever

December 2, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  23. RealityKing

Pakistani terrorists are paying close attention Joe, anymore doofus quotes for them??

December 2, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  24. Matt B

Cruzan Obama Mama –

Who is watching the Obama kids? Am I mistaken or are they having the grandparents move in because they won't be able to be full-time parents. Enough with the Palin bashing!!! You people keep calling her names and questioning her intelligence? Joe Biden is still trying to explain his comments during the debate when he said the US joined forces with France to kick Hezbollah out of Syria. He's still trying to explain about all those times he went into the diner that had closed 20 years before. He's still trying to explain why he said you need an Indian accent to work at 7-11. He's still trying to explain why he asked a "dear friend" to stand up and take a bow when he is in a wheelchair. Please, the lefty's have gone to a new level of crazy when it comes to Palin. I'm not saying she's Presidential material because she is not but get over her and get over yourselves.

December 2, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  25. Vicki5

Perfect Mr. Biden, perfect. As for Mrs. Palin, she's not going anywhere in politics. I figure that McCain and other Republicans owed her this post election limelight. They keep trying to give her a chance to bow out gracefully. If she doesn't soon, they'll find a way to give her a clue.

December 2, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |