December 2nd, 2008

Biden to Palin: With the race over, ‘no one pays attention to me’

Biden said that Palin attending the NGA conference Tuesday is a sign the election is over.

(CNN) – In the first few moments of his remarks to the National Governors Association Tuesday, Vice President-elect Joe Biden thanked fall rival Sarah Palin for attending the bi-partisan conference, saying it’s a “a metaphor for the fact that this election is over.”

“I want to thank all of you for being here and Governor Palin I want to thank you particularly," Biden said to the Alaska governor. “I think it is, I hope, the whole country can see it’s sort of a metaphor for the fact that this election is over and here we are.

“We’re all together, we’re all dealing with a common [economic] problem,” he continued. “This is not a Democrat or Republican problem, we’ve got ourselves a problem.”

President-elect Obama and his VP greeted Palin as they walked into the room to a standing ovation. In his opening comments, Biden lamented the lack of attention he now receives compared to Palin.

“As I told you when we walked in, since the race is over no one pays attention to me at all,” Biden told Palin as the governors laughed. “So maybe you’ll walk outside with me or something later and say hello to me.”

Biden’s comments were just his third set of public remarks since Election Day.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. PoliticoMike

Awe, Joe, I still love ya! Sides, do you really want to be put in the same category as Palin? She gets attention because people like watching wrecks!

December 2, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  2. Palin Fan

Palin for PRESIDENT '12

December 2, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. George in SF

Who's Biden trying to kid? Nobody paid attention to him during the campaign either. He was a safe pick to advance Obama's chances with the liber's and as soon as the inauguration is over the Chicago Charlatan will kick him to the curb and we'll hear even less from him. That's a good thing. He's such a jerk and oh so irrelevant.

December 2, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  4. Phil in KC

They may not be paying a lot of attention, but thank God he's the one who was elected. I'll take Biden over Palin any day.

December 2, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  5. carol

Jim: We realize the election is over. Unfortunately, Palin does not.

December 2, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. Bob

Is Sarah Palin the best Alaska has to offer?

December 2, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  7. Iroko Nija

O the Bam we trust!
    Joe the Biden we trust!
    Hence we dont to look in on you guys
    But Srah the Palin we mistrust
    Hence we keep talking about her to ensure that no right thinking American group will put her up again on the aile.I keep asking for when Sarah Palin will hand over her boutique to charity as she promised or has it been overtaken by events?

December 2, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  8. Fairfax Voter

I like Joe Biden! He and Obama have been nothing but courteous to and about Sarah Palin from the moment she arrived on the national scene, and it is both good manners and good politics. Good for him.

December 2, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  9. carol

xcuseme: You are right, the attention that Palin gets is not what an educated person gets.

December 2, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  10. Dan

I am glad to see our leaders taking the high road. They set a good example for us–one I wish we would all pay attention to and heed.

December 2, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  11. gp

Palin is a waste of air time. She is an IDIOT!! I have no respect for a woman who blabs blabs with no coherent thought. Go home and take care of your kids!! Your daughter needs her mother especially in her last months of pregnancy. I know I will be by my daughter's side to help her through her pregnancy. Believe me, she has a lot of questions and fears

Palin is a JOKE and DISGRACE to women!!

December 2, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  12. MsRotten

I'm sure Obama and Biden have a good hearty laugh at Palin's expense, in private. But I would just love to be a fly on the wall when they DO laugh it up. I can see/hear them now; each looking at one another and jerking their head to the side and *wink*winking*...."You betcha Joe"...."You betcha Barack"....*wink*wink*...we are mavicky.... *wink*wink*

December 2, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  13. Veronica

Another reason why I dig on Joe Biden – he's a respectful and honorable man. I hardly think if McFailin/Painful had won, they would be as gracious as Obama/Biden.

Kudos, Joe!

December 2, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  14. KG, Twin Cities

I can put up with Palin news all the way to 01/19/2009. After that, it's all President Obama and VP Biden!

December 2, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  15. Greg

This is why bi-partinship will not and can not work. The vocal base from both parties will not allow it. There will always be people that think they are better than every one else. Take the comments about Gov Palin, here is a woman in Alaska (truley a mans world) that has achieved the highest office in state govt. This should be held up as proof the American dream is alive, by all people if they agree with her politics or not, no less than all Americans should be proud of Obama's achievments. We won't, this once great country of unique individuals that come together for the good of the whole is doomed. Libs cannot succeed with out Cons or vice versa, but here we are in front of our computers saying hateful things about people we dissagree with. My how we must look!

December 2, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  16. Anna, Missouri

Lisa, Texas--most "intelligent people" learn to speak in complete sentences. They are capable of relaying their ideas to other people without the other people wondering what it was that the "intelligent person" had just said.

Yes, she gave an excellent speech at the convention. You seem to be confusing the fact that she could read a telepromtor that contained a speech, that someone else had written for her, with her own mind. Please listen to her speak when she is not reading something that someone else has written for her. There are many examples to choose from on the internet. If you can figure out what it is she is saying, please inform the rest of us.

Most of us believe that leaders should be able to speak to us in a language that we understand, and in America, that is English, not gibberish. In the future, please do not insult intellegent people by comparing them to Ms. Palin.

December 2, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  17. Noah

Biden should be thankful that the media never gave him the same vitriolic coverage that Sarah Palin garnered from them. Biden made some of the most asinine comments of the entire campaign season and never got called on it. Liberals truly harbor a hatred for Bush and Sarah Palin and it is pretty sad.

December 2, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  18. California Gold

Palin is popular because she is a Jeff Foxworthy "You're a redneck..." Just a walkin', talkin', winkin', breathin', you betcha, "you're a redneck" joke.

December 2, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  19. obama-mama

Lisa from Texas: If you think Gov Palin is intelligent, you need your head examined.

December 2, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  20. CJ

We are watching and hoping Joe. Please make us pround in '09!

December 2, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  21. Matt

Joe, no one really paid attention to you during the campaign either. Or McCain for that matter. The two folks who actually know what they are doing were sidelined while the rockstar/celebrity candidates who had no business running got the red carpet treatment.

It's at least comforting to know Obama will be surrounded by people who know what they are doing – like Hillary, Biden, Gates and Jones – when he clearly has no clue.

December 2, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

If only the opposite were true!!!

Palin is a has-been in the making......

December 2, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  23. Darell in WPB Fla

To Business Owner in NY: Hey, I understand your angst over some of the comments about Palin. I am an Obama supporter and although Im not a big fan of Palin, just as I view some comments posted on Fox as being way over the top filled with hate and vile, I do agree that there are some against Paline that are also over the line. However I do have to say if you gon on Fox and read anything they post its mostly so negative that it borders treason. Comments of uniting against a President! Its as if they are seeking and looking for anything to tear down Obama. People we are one, we are all Americans. As a black man I cant stand the label African American. I am American as we all are, lets stop with the devisive comments folks. Its time to move on and show the world what we have lacked for 8 years now, unity to bring our great country back to where it was. Ok America, Im having faith in you, dont let me down, dont let your fellow Americans down.

December 2, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  24. ProgressiveDemocrat

Rob December 2nd, 2008 12:38 pm ET

Joe Biden is a blabbering idiot. Hopefully, him and Barry Ohno! will lose the next election, but until then, it's best for everyone concerned that he continues to be ignored.

Well Rob are you so hurt and angry that thinking Americans actually voted for change from failed GOP Leadership to a New Leadership ?

Get over it you want them to lose in 4 years and Obama is not President nor is Jor VP yet.

Give them a chance to change the failed policies of your GOP the ones who got us into the mess in Iraq and took our Economy down with them.

I hope people like you lose again in four years because you Necons and the GOP are a bunch of sore losers and always will be.

December 2, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  25. worriedmom

You Liberals cannot seem to get along with anyone can you. Ok your man won the election, be happy. Instead you want to be cynical! I can see why people think you are crazy! Just can't let go of things and all this preaching of Unity, well it shows it is not from your end. Get a life and start being happy about something instead of complaining all the time. Don't you ever get tired of putting down people!!!

December 2, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |