December 2nd, 2008

Biden to Palin: With the race over, ‘no one pays attention to me’

Biden said that Palin attending the NGA conference Tuesday is a sign the election is over.

(CNN) – In the first few moments of his remarks to the National Governors Association Tuesday, Vice President-elect Joe Biden thanked fall rival Sarah Palin for attending the bi-partisan conference, saying it’s a “a metaphor for the fact that this election is over.”

“I want to thank all of you for being here and Governor Palin I want to thank you particularly," Biden said to the Alaska governor. “I think it is, I hope, the whole country can see it’s sort of a metaphor for the fact that this election is over and here we are.

“We’re all together, we’re all dealing with a common [economic] problem,” he continued. “This is not a Democrat or Republican problem, we’ve got ourselves a problem.”

President-elect Obama and his VP greeted Palin as they walked into the room to a standing ovation. In his opening comments, Biden lamented the lack of attention he now receives compared to Palin.

“As I told you when we walked in, since the race is over no one pays attention to me at all,” Biden told Palin as the governors laughed. “So maybe you’ll walk outside with me or something later and say hello to me.”

Biden’s comments were just his third set of public remarks since Election Day.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. ProgressiveDemocrat

Sarah Palin can become one of Hugh Heffners Playboy Bunny's .
    She would fit right in .
    Maybe she can become a centerfold in one of the 2009 issues .
    Thats a job she can handle with Joe the Plumber .

December 2, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  2. Anonymous

SMART AND WISE MAN .WE LOVE YOU JOE.

December 2, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  3. Ian

Actually it is a Democrat AND Republican problem. They've both been bending us over since we established another central bank.

December 2, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  4. GOP=Epic Fail

Don't worry about Sarah Palin Joe; the media loves a traveling freak show. Just thank your lucky stars that you're not in it.

December 2, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  5. Patrick - Indianapolis

Palin is NOT an intelligent person unless you compare her to mongoloids. I'm sorry, but we ALL watched the interviews and saw her stumble around like a bumbling idiot. You simply cannot fix stupid. Not in 2012 and not in 2016.

You won't see me pushing for Obama in 2012 until I see what he does between now and then. I sure as hell hope that Republicans can find something more intelligent than Sarah Palin before that time comes. If Obama blows it, and my only other option is Sarah Palin, then I just give up.

#1 Please do what we need you to do Obama
    #2 Republicans find an intelligent candidate.

December 2, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  6. Christopher

Palin must be feeling pretty frustrated by now - Hillary is now Secretary of State, Biden is now Vice-President, Michelle Obama is soon to the the First Lady. Everyone is "moving up" except Palin! Oh well. Back to Alaska, the frozen wasteland!

December 2, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  7. SJC

To Jim,

You said:

"With the vitriol and hatred from the extremist left after an election they won, one wonders what they would be saying if they had lost."

This as opposed to love and kindness shown by the extremist right after Bush won in 2000 and 2004? Have you listened to Limbaugh, Coulter, Savage and Hannity the last 8 years?

You also said:

"Now is the time for us to come together and govern, not continue campaign rhetoric. Liberals, listen to your leader and realize that the campaign is over. Seriously."

Except for the gratuitous "Liberals", which seems to be a requirement when a conservative writes a sentence, I totally agree with this.

December 2, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  8. Rockford

It's cool Joe... nobody cared what you had to say prior to it either...

December 2, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. ANAG LOS ANGELES, CA

i love this guy

December 2, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  10. JL

You go Joe; I love Joe Biden, he's a good person and 4REAL. To "Jim" your comments to "liberals"; you need to stop hating and accept the fact that your GOP is the root of all these "issues" America is facing today, because GW Bush inability to be truthful about anything. Everyone is saying that America is "in a crasis of confidence" well 1 would think that the GOP and all of its members would stop telling LIES, that hasn't happen yet, thus Joe Biden's comments to S. Palin were very much NEEDED and frankly should had been said OVER & OVER until the republicans understand the damages rendered when one continues to tell BOLD-FACED LIES!

December 2, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  11. proud army and navy mom

if my daughter was having her first baby, there is no way I would be traveling around on speaking engagements and meetings.......what kind of mother is Palin?

Her TEENAGED daughter will give birth very soon and be married, or is the marriage still on? Go home Palin and study what it is to be a good mother and then practice it until you get it right!

December 2, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  12. Carole

She is Brittney and Paris in the world of politics. What continues to amaze me is the fact she thinks so highly of herself. Also, her ALL WHITE audiences!

December 2, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  13. Vigla

Lisa,

Admit that Palin had no business being the VP nominee and we'll call it a day. She is about as qualified as you or I. Seriously, she was elected in a state with less than a million population against a corrupt incumbent.
    Again, PLEASE admit that Republicans need to run people of intelligence, people who at least understand how the world works. Palin does not fit the bill. She may be fine as governor of Alaska, but frankly, that's about it.

December 2, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  14. Milhouse van Houten

Can I call you Tina?

December 2, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  15. California Girl

To all those who are accusing all of us dems of being hate mongers about Palin, it isn't hateful to express serious disagreement with someone's positions. You all have said HORRIBLE things about dems – leading example, Liddie Dole's comment about her opponent being atheistic when she knew full well it was false. You all have paraded your so-called moral superiority over the rest of us deemed not worthy because we aren't born again Christians for far too long. You can dish it out, but you can't take it. Deal with it. And as my mom would have said, "what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander."

December 2, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  16. Nan

Now, if only people would stop paying attention to the bobblehead. Or is that BUBBLEHEAD? Yeah. It's bubblehead!

December 2, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  17. Fabian

I don't think Joe needs attention. He's been getting it, for how long? three decades? He should just do his job. If his actions happen to be extra-ordinary, then I am sure the media will pay attention. Sarah has a lot going on for her. Lack of intellectual curiosity, new in the mainland America, former beauty Queen runner-up, and most importantly folksy speaking style. You can't beat all that. Just be yourself because you do not need to prove anything. Your occasional on-line makes laugh though, I have to admit.

December 2, 2008 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  18. Spider

Come on Joe. Snap out of it. As you predicted, it won't be too long before Obama is struggling with a international catastrophe and you'll be there to help him through it. People will care about you then, little buddy.

December 2, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  19. Vigla

Jim,

There is no extreme left in this country. I'm sorry. I really think this is pent up frustration by Democrats who have felt cheated these last 8 years and now in retrospect are vindicated. Honestly, had Gore won the election, I seriously doubt we'd be in this much of a mess. No one can argue that fact. You may not have agreed to his policies, but he would have governed as a pragmatic centrist. I honestly feel we as Americans were all cheated in 2000. The vitriol you hear are those people who were mocked, bullied, called liars, unpatriotic, and all manner of names. Keep things in perspective please...

December 2, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  20. Godluvr

Speak the truth – Overcome evil with God – Forgive!

December 2, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  21. ISABEL LIN

Poor Sarah P! She is beautiful, smart @ all. I just think she shouldnt of
    been picked for V.P.Nominee....I voted for McCaine! Thanks to a sluggish economy, the Dumb Democrats got their way.

December 2, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  22. Phil-Little Rock

Stop pandering to that waif, Biden, what the hell's the matter with you?

December 2, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  23. America will be free again

To all that thinks VP elect Joe Biden was taking second fiddle position...get this clue..He was trying to tell her that the election is over...the next one is still 4 yrs away special advice to Palin is go home, go back to school, try finish up in 4 yrs and come back to show quality and not quantity of hate...

December 2, 2008 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  24. Lynn in NM

Gee, he's getting smarter. That's what happens to most VP's unless the President dies. Welcome to the world of invisibility.

December 2, 2008 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  25. Danny in Chicago

I love reading about Republicans talk about how us liberals are so angry....

Um....where the hell have you been for the last 8 years!?!?!?

Yeah, we are angry and it's not just going to go away because our guy won the election – and if I remember correctly, the republicans are still in charge, so YEAH – WE ARE ANGRY.

SHUT UP REPUBLICANS! Take our anger and stick it.

December 2, 2008 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |