December 2nd, 2008

Biden to Palin: With the race over, ‘no one pays attention to me’

Biden said that Palin attending the NGA conference Tuesday is a sign the election is over.

(CNN) – In the first few moments of his remarks to the National Governors Association Tuesday, Vice President-elect Joe Biden thanked fall rival Sarah Palin for attending the bi-partisan conference, saying it’s a “a metaphor for the fact that this election is over.”

“I want to thank all of you for being here and Governor Palin I want to thank you particularly," Biden said to the Alaska governor. “I think it is, I hope, the whole country can see it’s sort of a metaphor for the fact that this election is over and here we are.

“We’re all together, we’re all dealing with a common [economic] problem,” he continued. “This is not a Democrat or Republican problem, we’ve got ourselves a problem.”

President-elect Obama and his VP greeted Palin as they walked into the room to a standing ovation. In his opening comments, Biden lamented the lack of attention he now receives compared to Palin.

“As I told you when we walked in, since the race is over no one pays attention to me at all,” Biden told Palin as the governors laughed. “So maybe you’ll walk outside with me or something later and say hello to me.”

Biden’s comments were just his third set of public remarks since Election Day.

Filed under: Joe Biden • Sarah Palin
  1. Bill,ca

Give Sarah Palin a cooking show, at least she might learn something.

December 2, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  2. Melanie McCready

Sorry, Joe. Gov Palin will not become a democrat.

December 2, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  3. George

Sarah is a wonderful American, all thinking people should have noticed that by now. Apparently, that is not the majority in this blog. What a sad day

December 2, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  4. Mike - Texas

I'm a Democrat, but I think Joe Biden is a bumbling buffoon. He is not really as eloquent as he thinks.

Even reading from a teleprompter John McCain gives better speeches.

December 2, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  5. ME

Poor Biden, he looked at Palin like a blushing school boy :) Even he's hooked :)

December 2, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. LA-LA LAND

Biden is useless! Where there no other alternatives for the V.P. spot??? what does that say about us Democrats and our president-elect himself?

December 2, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  7. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Joe the Vice-President-Elect,
    We love you just the way you are.
    And now the press is paying attention to you ;)

December 2, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  8. Nan

TO "THAT OTHER JERRY":

Oh, Puh-Le-e-e-e-e-se! The MOOSE are smarter!

December 2, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  9. Leah from FL

Hey Jim – your comment "vitriol and hatred from the extremist left after an election they won" leaves me scratching my head.... haven't seen this, sorry. vitriol and hatred is part
    of republican standard operating procedure (as evidenced during the last election). Dems ARE listening to our leaders and proving unity in action while working within the repub hate factory that continues (limbaugh, hannity and the like). Maybe you got the dems and repubs mixed up for what you're stating actually reflects the repubs – not the dems.

December 2, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  10. Carole

Biden is sooooooooooooooooo adorable. I love him :-)

December 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  11. JAS

I believe that the Obama/Biden administration is
    going to be great for America. What a breath of fresh air.
    I love my President and Vice President.

December 2, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  12. Vegas Barbie for Obama

No worries, Joe! She gets attention because she is so obviously an attention junkie and she seeks it out. She has become the sideshow for the Republican party. She belongs at home with her special needs kids (I say "kids" because I count her 17-year old daughter as being special needs, as well as an irresponsible bimbo, who apparently hasn't fallen far from the tree as her mom, Sarah, seems pretty needy too).

December 2, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  13. Vegas Barbie for Obama

No one pays attention to you because you are doing what you are supposed to be doing, Joe, which is standing by Pres.-elect Obama. Sarah is at loose ends now, so she had to go back to the beauty queen circuit ala the Republican party and try to get her strokes that way.

December 2, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  14. Gino

You go, Joe! Palin-free=Pain-free.

December 2, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  15. Katrina

Mr.V-P, you are awesome. I am glad you can laugh at yourself. Mrs. Palin is a hot mess!! She should go back to Alaska and raise her family. My goodness I am so tired of seeing her everytime I turn on the television. Thank God the country did not end up with that nut.

December 2, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  16. FreeNLovIt

I know I was like... what happened to Biden?

December 2, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  17. Voice of Reason

In other words, for a woman to be taken seriously, she can't be attractive? Most of the media treated her as a Presidential candidate running against Barry, but she ran as Vice Pres, against Biden, who was more windowdressing than any woman could be. His empty rhetoric was less intelligable than W's, and his poll numbers are lower. He served his purpose (to make Obama look legit) and will now fade to obscurity, while Palin's star will continue to rise for years to come.

December 2, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  18. CanIcallyouJoe

I love Biden – I really don't see how people can criticize Biden for "mouthing off" or "letting his remarks rule him at times". I think any of the gaffs he happens to make are just normal mistakes people encounter when they have to speak a lot while having to think through at lot of problems at the same time. (Luckily, Palin doesn't have this problem)

His sense of humor is a great plus – the government can take itself too seriously at times. I support and voted for Obama, but I think that he sometimes can push a little too hard with the "Office of the President Elect"; An office that has no real power.

Any mistakes Biden can make verbally can't be any worse than "My fellow prisoners" or "I can see Russian from my house."

December 2, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  19. Aha!

Today's headline: STUDY FINDS 1 IN 5 YOUNG ADULTS HAS PERSONALITY DISORDER.

That finally explains some of these eratic, babbling bloggers!

December 2, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  20. deb in Colo

TO Lisa, Texas – "Gov, Palin is a very intelligent woman. Why do you people want to slam her?"

I will argue the point that she is an intelligent woman. I don't know – you can't tell that by her run-on sentences. Her poor grammar. And she's shown no real grasp of the economy, international relations, or any other matter of import.

All I've ever heard from her is hate, comments of her opponents take out of context, and political gimmicks (Joe the Plumber being one). None of these things shows her "intelligence".

December 2, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  21. ME

Vigla....what in the world are you talking about?
    City Counsel
    Mayor
    Oil and Gas Commission
    Governor
    nearly a decade in elected office....not qualified for VP?

Oh, wait....the all-so-important community organizer....qualified for President????? He also had nearly 2 years to get ready for his first real interview. Palin had 2 months....picture him with Gibson's questions 2 weeks after he announced his candidacy...THAT would have been hilarious.

December 2, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  22. sandee in Portland

Good ol' Joe, what a guy! Bad ol' Palin, what a gal! It amazes me that someone of her caliber could even rise to the position of governor much less run for one of the highest offices in our country. Maybe this is why our country's in the shape it is....because people of her ilk actually have people thinking she is okay to run a government, whether it is local, state or national. You can certainly tell education is not our strong point anymore, when the average person will vote for someone so unintelligent.

December 2, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  23. john from sandiego

Joe Dunderhead is going to be a very irrelevant and lonely man as vice=president..

December 2, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  24. P K

I still don't understand why and how John the McCain picked such an idiot to be his running mate , seriously I still don't get it!

December 2, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  25. Karla

How is it all the leftists have won by majority vote (not based on information I might add), and are still hateful, nasty, and vindictive. Not happy if you lose and not happy if you win...wow, must really suck to be a democrat.

December 2, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |