December 2nd, 2008

Clinton nomination sets off fundraising opportunities

Bill Clinton is seeking cash off his wife's new position.
Bill Clinton is seeking cash off his wife's new position.

(CNN) – One day after Sen. Hillary Clinton was formally nominated to be the next secretary of state, her husband sent a message to supporters seeking cash to help alleviate the former presidential candidate's campaign debts.

"This nomination would not have been possible without the hard work of everyone like you who has supported Hillary throughout the years," former President Bill Clinton wrote in the e-mail sent Tuesday. "I know I speak for her when I say thank you for everything you have done for her."

The message, which also asks supporters to write notes of congratulations to Clinton, features a big "Contribute" link below the text.

Sources told CNN last month Clinton's campaign debt is roughly $7 million - down from the more than $20 million she owed last summer.

The fundraising e-mail comes hours after former Obama campaign manager David Plouffe sent out an e-mail of his own touting the president-elect’s new national security team - including Clinton - and seeking cash for the transition fund.

"While the challenges they are sure to face will be great, the opportunities to unify our country and our world will be even greater," Plouffe wrote. "With your support, we'll meet those challenges and opportunities with the hope and optimism that has brought us to this moment of change."

Obama received over $6 million from government funds for his transition effort, but is seeking millions more in private donations.

1. Linda

Not suprised to hear the Clintons are still looking for money, but BO already picked up enough cash in the general election to make a dent in our economic woes. It is hard to believe that in this economic crisis these very wealthy folks are still asking for hand outs.

December 2, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  2. Richard Stack

At what point will these elected-millionaires pony up their own cash for their "tranisition efforts" and campaign debts? The very people that got them elected are still the very people that are watching the equity in their homes diminish, retirement accounts flatline or worse, and are desperately hanging on to every nickel. I find it disgraceful that our President-elect (who is about to live rent free for 4 or more years) is asking for money to help the already fortunate cabinet members.

December 2, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  3. IG

I do think Obama got cocky on this one. I get the feeling that he was kind of showing off how he can integrate everyone in his cabinet, friends an dfoes, democrats and republicans. This is only beginning of the distraction.

December 2, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  4. Poor Clintons

Not another bailout...
    :-(

December 2, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  5. Matt

You know she does not have a lock on this job and still has to clear a confirmation where it is legitimate to look at her lack of experience of any kind, her treatment of the secret service as first lady, her lack of record as a senator. Not to mention her husband, stolen items from the whitehouse and the lamp throwing.

Barack arrogantly ducked the question yesterday asking why he changed his opinion of Clintons experience but it still does not change the fact that he put out a 4 page report spelling out her lack of experience. You can't just say "ohh it was all just part of the campaign" Or was this more of Baracks lies to America like the big one of Change in government.

December 2, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  6. obama-mama

CNN did not post my previous blog....Let me say it again. I love Obama and his new picks but I will not contribute a dime to people who are financially better of than me. They need to send me a donation.....

I did take some words out of this revised version. Maybe now they'll post it.....Good grief.

December 2, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  7. Jonathan

How can we trust our "nation's leaders" to guide us out of economic trouble when they can't even balance their own campaign's budget?

Maybe she shouldn't have spent more money than she had? Now there's a concept for the ages...

December 2, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  8. Sherrol in Canada

I'm not surprised, the Clintons are very resourceful people and know how to garner help from just about anybody.....Makes me smile though!

December 2, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  9. Joe M

Should have ended the campaign a month earlier when it became apparent that she couldn't win. As for "Bucks for Bubba", forget it. There's a lot of hurt this holiday season and lot of fine organizations trying to help out. They need the funds.

As Bill can earn as much as $500,000 an hour for a speaking engagement, "my heart bleeds". Sorry, checkbook's closed.

December 2, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  10. Walt, Belton,TX

Wonder just how much he charged Obama to rent her for four years?

December 2, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  11. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

Everybody is looking for cash.
    I disagree with Tom from 4:05,
    I think she's been around the world enough that people will give her their full attention and appreciate the position she's proposing.

And, with the heavy work she did, while not quantifiable in terms of actual votes, Obama has to feel some appreciation towards her and giving her this post is "fair" in his mind.
    Look, dude was smart enough to get to this point, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he actually makes a bad decision.
    That'll still be quite a few less than President Bush.

December 2, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  12. Godluvr

God loves a cheerful giver! If you have a problem with giving, don't read the articles referring to money, be quiet, or just.....I'm tired of trying to crack nuts!

December 2, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  13. Charlene Republican for Obama not Clinton

How can Bill accept money that Hillary blew (she lost in July and kept spending money) and he is paid 400,000+ for a lousy speech. Obama does not need the Clintons and I am so sorry that we have to put up with them for another 4 years. I hope Obama can keep her reined in....it is going to be interesting to see how she likes reporting to the man she talk trash about a short time ago. Oh my...politics.

December 2, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  14. Alexa

You are sick CNN - what's this now "Bill Clinton is seeking cash off his wife's new position"

You CNN sure have it out for the Clintons, especially former President Clinton - why? And why is it that you are constantly mocking President Clinton? Frankly, I am so turned off by your bias reporting so now I turn to Fox News for fair and balanced news.

December 2, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  15. PLB

I think this is a disgrace. Clintons are not endearing themselves to their base by doing this fundraising. When Hillary was out of money she should have gotten out of the race too. They can't expect more donations now when the economy is so bad. They will be feeding again at the public troth once she starts traveling around the world on taxpayers dollars.

December 2, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  16. Realist

If we can continue to donate to fund Obama's Outrageously Lavish Inauguration during the worst economic times in recent history.

Then we can certainly donate to help Hillary Clinton pay off her debt to the American people.

I wish her luck and hope she gets it all paid off!!!!

December 2, 2008 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  17. JuanM

These politicians, both left and right, just can't get enough can they. I just can't believe people give to them on a contribution basis. Talk about drinking the kool-aid.

December 2, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  18. conservative

The Clintons always have been about money ; ours in their pockets!

December 2, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  19. Francis, IL

Hillary needs to stop trying to get money for something that she was completely responsible for. She ran longer than she should have, so she and Bill should foot the bill, unless her supporters want to help her. End, and I meand the very end of the story.

The campaign is OVER and Barack is about to be sworn in–it's over Hillary, give it a rest.

December 2, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  20. Ernie

Obama is seeking Millions more?? He wants more of your money then he will give you a little tax break?? God help us.

December 2, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  21. Almost the end of THE error!

Congrats Barack...Congrats Hillary...Congrats to America!

December 2, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  22. herb

Everyone is getting upset about what? If you don't want to give don't and those who do fine let's move on. Senator Clinton will also make a fine secretary of state

December 2, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  23. Jesse Holmes

That button is all over Hillary's website, not just on this page. I don't see what the issue is.

December 2, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  24. Jesse Holmes

And it's to pay off HER campaign debts, not Bill's.

December 2, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  25. Dave, Illinois

So, Obamites, tell me about all the people that could benefit from the obcene amount of money that Obama is still raking in and spending on vanity items like his new president-elect seal. All that money that you all contributed could have fed the starving, housed the homeless, clothed the poor. Oh, thats right, other people should do that. Just like others should pay extra taxes for the Dems pet projects. What a bunch of hypocrits!!!

December 2, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |