December 2nd, 2008

Richardson to be nominated as commerce secretary

Richardson is Obama's choice for commerce secretary.
Richardson is Obama's choice for commerce secretary.

(CNN) - President-elect Barack Obama will nominate New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson to be Commerce Secretary at a news conference in Chicago Wednesday, a Democratic source tells CNN's Candy Crowley.

A former rival of Obama's for the the Democratic nomination, Richardson served as ambassador to the United Nations and the Secretary of Energy under President Bill Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. lou

Great News!!! keeps pilling up!!!!

December 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  2. Sandy

Gee, I hope he gets to sit next to HRC at the cabinet mtgs. It should be really cozy since he threw her under the bus. Ironic that she got the job he wanted. He's the loser here.

December 2, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  3. mikeice34

i am glad we barack Obama as president because i believe he can make this country a better place less the wars but it is going to take time for him to straight everything up

December 2, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  4. Obama4me

GREAT NEWS!! Let's hope he can make a difference in stimulating commerce in the mess of an economy that Bush let happen.

December 2, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  5. bernj

I guess we will have to hear another stupid comment from Campbell Brown about this too. Her tirade against Obama last night only shows that you can take the girl out of Mississippi but you can't take Mississippi out of the girl it seems. No bias no bull???? Yeah right.

December 2, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  6. J.P.

Really? I'm amazed Obama-lama-ding-dong didn't dig up the dusty bones of Karl Marx and prop him up as Commerce Secretary. On a related note, liquidate your investments NOW while you still can.

December 2, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  7. frank

I just don't trust this guy anymore.

December 2, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  8. chuck

Why is CNN giving updates on Barbara Bush? No one in their right mind cares anything about the Bushes. They are long gone.

December 2, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  9. Greg Hodges

Barack Obama continues to impress me with the vision he has for reaching out to every segment of the American family. There is no doubt that the Latino vote was instrumental in Obama`s victory on Nov.4 ; but there is absolutely no doubt either that Bill Richardson is a man who has earned this post. He is one of the bright lights in the Democratic Party; and I have no doubt he will do an outstanding job as the Commerce Secretary. Lord knows what a huge responsibility it will be; but I trust Mr. Richardson will prove up to the task.

December 2, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  10. Michael

Not the post he wanting for sure, but he should do well!

December 2, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  11. Greed is not good

Good call. Richardson is a solid choice.

December 2, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  12. Ayanna

Ba da ba ba ba......I'm lovin' it :)

December 2, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  13. Terri Ann the Tex Ann ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ya know, if I were Obama, I would find out who these "sources" are within his organization and smack them up beside the head. Why do some people think they have to "leak" this information to make themselves feel or look "important"? What happened to personal responsibility & integrity?

December 2, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  14. Andrea/ CA

I don't think anybody who get to serve in the new administration is a loser. Maybe they are a lot more mature then that. Congratulations to Bill Richardson and all the other Cabinet members. We need a strong, smart and diverse team. We are in a mess and we need them to get us out off it.

December 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  15. dbacchus

Good! Congratulations Richardson!

December 2, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  16. dbacchus

Yeah, Sandy, and Hillary got the job that SHE wanted :))) Get a life, would you?

December 2, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  17. NB Stewart

Welcome aboard, Bill Richardson, we've been waiting for you!

December 2, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  18. Mirta Rodriguez

All I can say is "Bad Choice!"

December 2, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  19. JAS

This is not about winners and losers. This is about pulling the
    best people together to clean up the shi–y mess that Bush is leaving behind. For once, can we all pull together???

December 2, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  20. Pittsburgh John

Make him stop growing a mullet first.

December 2, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  21. Sheryl

Good choice!!!!!

December 2, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  22. Tulsa

Another worthless pick.....What kind of change is this, we all got taken for a ride. I know the next time I will be voting Republican

December 2, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  23. Joel

Wow Sandy you sound a little bitter. Hope you voted for Obama.

December 2, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  24. Burly

I can't stand that man! He has no integrity, no talent, and absolutley no intellect. He has been a complete self-serving loser for his state and his country! That's the FIRST BIG CABINET MISTAKE for Obama!

December 2, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  25. whotoo

Richardson is qualified and able to. He's my kinder of leader. Good choice OB and JB. Real Mavericks.

December 2, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |