December 2nd, 2008

Rove says 'marketplace of ideas' will decide Palin's fate

Karl Rove says it remains to be seen what Palin's future has in store.
Karl Rove says it remains to be seen what Palin's future has in store.

(CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's rock-star status could solidly position her to lead the Republican Party in four years, but former top Bush aide Karl Rove said the "marketplace of ideas" will ultimately decide her political future.

"Republicans believe in markets, so the marketplace of ideas will decide what the answer [to her future] is," Rove told NBC Tuesday. "These people are going to get out there, campaign, offer their ideas, offer themselves."

Palin has declined to say whether she is officially interested in seeking the 2012 GOP presidential nomination, but has left open the possibility. Palin's popularity among the party's base and firmly established name-recognition would likely mean instant top-tier status should she decide to throw her hat into the ring.

But ultimately, Rove said, Republicans need more time to get to know Palin before embracing her as the party's future.

"Remember she was on the stage for nine weeks in the general election - that’s not a lot of time," he said. "Now we are going to get to a chance see her over a longer period of time."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Never.......ever!

I wish the media would stop talking about Sara as if she was relevant to the political future of this country. She is not!. This woman is a political lightweight. Seriously. She only appeals to a selective group of clueless conservatives, who believe the office of the president should be occupied by an average person like them....."oh, I love Sara because she like me" Please!

Are you people that insecure? Do you feel like underachievers?

This woman will never appeal to independents, hispanics and blacks, so dream on!

December 2, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  2. Denise Walters

Good, let her run. It will mean 4 more years of Obama. Unless, she seriously starts running from the middle. She is way too extreme for most Americans.

December 2, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  3. Well, alrighty then!!!!

We get to see her for a long period of time....Oh this is going to be fun!!!! I can't wait to laugh. Tina Fey might as well give up 30 Rock and become the permanent Bablin Palin..... This will be great for comedy!!!

December 2, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  4. eddy

Are the american people, and that includes the supposedly intelligent news reporters that f-– St-- in thinking that this want to be is actually intelligent.Move on folks and work on a credible story.Is she paying you for this publicity one way or another.Have another drink before you write any further stories about this big earred,non intelligent person for a better choice of words and get over it.But then again after you have all had a few drinks maybe it is the topic of conversation.
    CLEAN UPTHE ACT FOLKS unless you need another drink.

December 2, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  5. E-Feezy

Sad to say it, but I have more confidence in George Bush than with Sarah Palin-

December 2, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  6. patterson

Joe,
    apparently the "base" is not tired of Bush, since Palin is essentially an even more dumbed-down version of him in a skirt....

December 2, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  7. NSM

Her daughter will have a baby this month. Bristol and Levi are planning to get married in June next year?

December 2, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  8. joes

The day Ms. Palin becomes President will be the day I become a Canadian Citizen.

December 2, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  9. Sam

In response to LIP: This has nothing to do with color of the skin. Sarah is charming, but a dim light upstairs...She can't speak properly; her education is nominal at best; her wordly knowledge is poor. So don't bring up the race issue.
    Along the same lines, Condie Rice, if only I hadn't disagreed with her ideas so much, I'd vote for her in a minute, because she is a very intelligent, very accomplished woman. What we are looking for is an intelligent leader; race and gender don't matter.

December 2, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  10. BC Jones

There was a young woman named Palin
    Whose politico sidekick was ailin'
    Said she with a fliar, I'll unfurl my hair
    And give my poor sidekick a flailin'

December 2, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  11. Annie, Atlanta

And what happens when Republicans get to know her and decide she is their future – that their future is rather bleak? We've already seen what happens when we elect someone of her ilk – disasterous ruin on every level. I can only hope we learned that lesson well.

December 2, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  12. jack-VA

Thanks for the bad metaphor alert...feels like Plane Palin is just taxiing though..not really going anywhere...she is like Bush ..a symbol of something... but what ..sound bytes and simple aphorisms and then NOTHING ! Keep on running Sarah..oh and lighten up folks about the suggested 'misogyny' i am just glad Palin did not have an opportunity to DO to the nation what Bush DID to it for eight years !!!

December 2, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  13. Tim in Minnesota

This is the best the Repulican party has to offer? Hmmmm...you know, I've always wondered who are those 25-30% or so Americans that have approved of the job the president has been doing. They must be the same ones that believe that Governor Palin is the party's future.

December 2, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  14. Josh

OMG, really?!!!!

I personally hope the Republicans DO embrace this idiot as their party leader. It would only be fitting.

December 2, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  15. Jeff

I've seen enough of Plain and voted on November 4, 2008 (Obama/ Biden)...No Way, No How, No Palin...EVER ! I'll choose intellect over cheese-ball game show host every day. Sorry, (somewhat) pretty does not help me pay my bills.

December 2, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  16. Peter (CA)

NY Repub-

Maybe Rove did not commit any crimes in outing Valerie Plame.
    But I would like to have heard it from him when he was called to testify.

December 2, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  17. eddy

Is this corrupt A–H- going to write a book.Yah You folks will buy it.

December 2, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  18. Matt

@ LIP

Seriously, you people whining about Palin getting a raw deal need to shut up and start doing some soul searching. Nothing sexist was said about her. NOTHING. The lipstick on a pig "scandal" was fluffy hype. The $150K spent on her wardrobe was fair game because nobody else spent that kind of money on their wardrobe...it's ridiculous and shows a lack of sense of scale and fiscal responsibility. And perhaps most of all, calling someone out on being a borderline retard may be offensive to retarded people, but it's not sexist.

December 2, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  19. Jon

Tom in SA wrote: "Don't care who it is, somebody resurrect Reagan".

Tom, that's exactly what Palin tried. It didn't work out too well. Here's hoping backward-looking Republicans try it again. As a Democrat, I'd love to see Palin on your ticket in 2012

December 2, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  20. Todd Palin

If one person insults my wife I'm kickin' some...

December 2, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  21. Nash

This is a joke, right? If it is, I don't get it.

December 2, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  22. Linda-texas

Barack Obama will be fine. I was a Hillary Clinton supporter in the beginning -but I don't think anything is lost with an Obama win (as a matter of fact it might be some gains). The problem that I see is that a lot of people continue to underestimate him. They underestimated him through the primaries... through the general election... and still underestimating him now through his potential presidency. I think you all will be proven wrong once again!

Also it appears that a lot of repubs think that it's going to one day be Sarah Palin on the throne. I don't know if (or think)it ever will be, but right now the only ones that seem to be smitten with her is the base and she needs more than the base to win the presidency.

December 2, 2008 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  23. Len

Who really listens to Karl Rove? What he did to this country, he should be in jail.

December 2, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  24. Paul

Hopefully a judge will be deciding Karl Rove's fate in the near future.

December 2, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  25. Charlie in Maine

In the marketplace of ideas Karl Rove is morally bankrupt. Does he actually work for CNN now? If he does I think it is a good way for you to make your other commentators look more honest by comparison. Do you have to pay his bail?

December 2, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |