December 2nd, 2008

Rove says 'marketplace of ideas' will decide Palin's fate

Karl Rove says it remains to be seen what Palin's future has in store.
Karl Rove says it remains to be seen what Palin's future has in store.

(CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's rock-star status could solidly position her to lead the Republican Party in four years, but former top Bush aide Karl Rove said the "marketplace of ideas" will ultimately decide her political future.

"Republicans believe in markets, so the marketplace of ideas will decide what the answer [to her future] is," Rove told NBC Tuesday. "These people are going to get out there, campaign, offer their ideas, offer themselves."

Palin has declined to say whether she is officially interested in seeking the 2012 GOP presidential nomination, but has left open the possibility. Palin's popularity among the party's base and firmly established name-recognition would likely mean instant top-tier status should she decide to throw her hat into the ring.

But ultimately, Rove said, Republicans need more time to get to know Palin before embracing her as the party's future.

"Remember she was on the stage for nine weeks in the general election - that’s not a lot of time," he said. "Now we are going to get to a chance see her over a longer period of time."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Christina

Sorry, LIP. Gov. Palin exposed herself to be clueless about national and international affairs outside of Alaska. She also repeatedly demonstrated a lack of depth and intellect. It had nothing to do with her gender or race, but her die-hard supporters might feel better to believe so. At least Senators Hutchinson, Snowe or Dole can deliver coherent, intelligent commentary on a wide range of topics.

December 2, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  2. JD

Quit "IMPALIN" America. She's truly an insult to all women. How she ever was elected Governor is beyond me.

Just like Bush who told us to go shopping after 9-11 she really took it to heart and spent like there was no tomorrow.

This is a recession not your recess. Get back to work. We made our choice. Deal.

December 2, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  3. Tom Dawson

It continues to amaze me how much space and coverage you and the other media give this person Palin. She's a bad joke gone on too long. Just let her go back to Alaska and "govern" or whatever she does there.

December 2, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  4. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

Quoth "Blue is my favourite colour:" "Sarah Palin is an old republican relic. Four years into the future, we will be more evolved then we are in this cycle. If she thinks she will be viable even after the innauguration of Obama, she's wrong.

The only saving grace that the republicans have is to get rid of their religious right, anti-abortion, anti-gay, pro-ignorance and fear mongering..."

Couldn't have said it better myself–in fact, I wish I had.

Somewhere along the line, the Republican Party got hijacked by people like Sarah Palin and Mike Huckabee, "Christian extremists," differing only in details and degree–and not a whole lot of that–from the kinds of madmen who attacked Mumbai and blinded some Afghan schoolgirls for daring to try to get an education.

The "religious right" is a scary bunch–almost as scary as the "Islamic right," or any other kind of self-righteous, unreasoning, fanatic.

December 2, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  5. Matt

I never register for any party, just Unenrolled...but I'll tell you this: I'd register Republican just to be able to vote in their primaries for Palin in 2012, then de-register as a Republican and go back to being Unenrolled once she gets nominated.

December 2, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  6. Sherrol in Canada

I am sick and tired of this woman and her ramblings. Go away Sarah Palin, we intelligent decent folks have had enough.

December 2, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  7. karol

It means that her celebrity status continues to appeal to the conservative and still further right of the GOP (Gobsmacked On Palin). Those fringies in Georgia (and everywhere else) have had little to rally them this election season, so they follow their rock star. Palin graduated from the University of Idaho on the fifth try (she attended several different colleges before Idaho granted her a degree - maybe to get rid of her?). Will Obama, superbly educated in the Ivy League, highly articulate, smart as a fox and the incumbent president have anything to fear from a beauty pageant bunny? Oh, please, please don't throw Sarah Palin into that political briar patch. PLEASE.

And stop comparing Obama to Palin, for heavenly sake!

December 2, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  8. mark

Why would you listen to Rove! He's run the republicans into the
    mess their in. Why do you seek his opinion,he's liar and he exposed a covert C.I.A. agent among other offences. Isn't their a more respectable person to seek opinion.
    Marko

December 2, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  9. Greg Smith, Clifton Heights PA

Qualifications to be a Democrat. Be hateful, Be racists, Get personal,
    Be dumb. If you meet these qualifications you will be a great Democrat.

December 2, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  10. LIP

Sarah Palin...I find it interesting the amount of fear one sees in reading these blogs. For a nobody, Sarah Palin managed in two months to pull together 57,000,000 votes. Had she had the two years that Obama had, do you think she would have beat him? I think so and these blogs are a reflection of the fear that Democrats are voicing.

December 2, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  11. Nicky

I think that she should look at the qualifications of people being nominated for cabinet positions, then, look in the mirror and truly ask herself "can I even come close to being qualified for this kind of job." Scary who she would be nominating to post positions to lead this country and her agenda. I hope she goes away, or maybe not. I think the Republicans can write off their future with her in play.

December 2, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  12. Vicky from Milwaukee

Rowe? Palin? Who's next? Nancy Reagan? Get over it CNN. The Republicans lost and lost good. We don't care about these out-of-date, mean-spirited has-beens.

December 2, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  13. Matt

I never register for any party, just Unenrolled…but I'll tell you this: I'd register Republican just to be able to vote in their primaries for Palin in 2012, then de-register as a Republican and go back to being Unenrolled once she gets nominated.

Yeah, I hate the GOP that much.

December 2, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  14. Sgt Trdy

re Fenarkleman's comment about rove's head.....:; rove's mother must have had an uncomfortably difficult birth.

December 2, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  15. jake

I honestly think from talking to alot of my friends in the republican party, and myself personally, that we did not vote for john mccain because sarah palin was his vice presidential pick. I personally would have voted for him had he have picked a more moderate and skillful politician as his running mate, and a person more capable of taking the highest office in the land in the unfortunate event of his death.

in the event that sarah palin runs in 2012 would be just more proof that the republican party is continually kicking a dead horse and further out of contact with mainstream and moderate america. This would only further alienate the moderate conservative base from the republican party, and winning back the moderate conservative base is key to a republican come back IF we ever see it. But i at this point really am not counting or caring about that

December 2, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  16. gigi

Here's an IDEA from the Marketplace, Frog- March Karl Rove to Jail!

December 2, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  17. Rob

Well, depsite the fact that she is smarter, nicer, has better morals, and yes, is better looking than Hillary, Palin still needs that one thing to make her a serious contender. She needs to go someplace like Iraq and do one of the following:

1) Claim to be under sniper fire when there was none in the area.
    2) Have her aircraft be forced to land due to bad weather, but turn around and claim it was because it came under attack.

I mean hey, if it worked for Hillary and Biden, it might be worth giving a shot. As a majority of the American voting public proved on November the 4th, impressing voters with the truth is nothing compared to dazzling them with bull.

December 2, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  18. DS

The hate coming from Democrats will not stop because it is working for them. Al Gore still introduces himself as the person who use to be the next President of The United States. The next 4 years should be interesting.

December 2, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  19. Mike in PA

25 years as a staunch republican, she flipped my switch. I voted Obama and am changing my party to Dem.

Is she the best the GOP has to offer?

A hockey mom and a mayor of a small village? Is that who we want to run the free world? Nice person but I don't think so.......

December 2, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  20. RashidRashid

Marketplace of Ideas?? Maybe if she had "any" that might be one thing but someone who went to 5 colleges in 6 years shows that she has no ability to focus, she has yet to make a single statement in English that makes sense. Ideas?? Does she even have an IQ to produce ideas??

December 2, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  21. Sam in the West

I hope the media will stop paying attention to the likes of Rove and Palin. We really don't care what either one of them has to say anymore. Been there, done that. They are has-beens, irrelevant, and out of touch. Let's move on to more constructive times, people.

December 2, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  22. SirBroiler

Please, please, please run Sarah. Slam dunk for Democrats in 2012!!!

December 2, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  23. imagine

the democrats didn't want to win, They just want to whine - above Rove, Palin, etc. Geez, where's the change we need?

December 2, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  24. Deb n Texas

I just can't understand why should we have to listen to anything that Karl Rove says. He has not done great or good things, so why should we have to listen to what HE has to say? Who respects his opinion – sure is not I!

December 2, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  25. Jessica in IL

GOOD LORD, ENOUGH ALREADY! Why can't she just go away??

December 2, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |