December 2nd, 2008

Rove says 'marketplace of ideas' will decide Palin's fate

Karl Rove says it remains to be seen what Palin's future has in store.
Karl Rove says it remains to be seen what Palin's future has in store.

(CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's rock-star status could solidly position her to lead the Republican Party in four years, but former top Bush aide Karl Rove said the "marketplace of ideas" will ultimately decide her political future.

"Republicans believe in markets, so the marketplace of ideas will decide what the answer [to her future] is," Rove told NBC Tuesday. "These people are going to get out there, campaign, offer their ideas, offer themselves."

Palin has declined to say whether she is officially interested in seeking the 2012 GOP presidential nomination, but has left open the possibility. Palin's popularity among the party's base and firmly established name-recognition would likely mean instant top-tier status should she decide to throw her hat into the ring.

But ultimately, Rove said, Republicans need more time to get to know Palin before embracing her as the party's future.

"Remember she was on the stage for nine weeks in the general election - that’s not a lot of time," he said. "Now we are going to get to a chance see her over a longer period of time."

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. jms

I certainly hope she is on the GOP ticket. Looser. looser.looser

December 2, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  2. yellow dog democrat

Please, somebody, help Sarah find her Ruby Slippers so she can go home!

December 2, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  3. Jack/Boston/MA

It's time for sarah palin to go away.

December 2, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  4. Mitch, NY

@Sarah is the one in 2012
    Michelle and Barack should keep their re-decorating to a minimum as they'll be out of the White House in 4 years.

Obama will fail to revive the economy and we will be beset by Mumbai type attacks—both of these things leading to his loss in 2012′.

See you in 2012 Sarah!!!!!
    -------------------------------
    To my knowledge the White House is redecorated every 4-8 years depending on the circumstances. Michelle and Barack have every right to redecorate as they see fit. They will be in the White House for another four years so she should buy kids furniture that they can use in their teenage years.

Sarah, the buffoon, will be as close to the White House as she is to her English book, which she probably NEVER opened.

Don't get me started.

December 2, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  5. Texas Teacher

Why are we quoting Karl Rove.... ?

Why do we care what he thinks about anything, anyone, OR Palin?

Pardon me....? I'm confused... :) Is Karl Rove the Voice of the GOP now? Really scraping the bottom of the barrel, arn't they?

If Palin is the best the GOP has to offer, then I would suggest that the whole party fold up and go home..... the way is wide open for a new party!

December 2, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  6. Kimberly

jen,cali, your a LOON! Matt, you are 100% correct! Palin is a know nothing joke that is using her celebrity like sam welterbacher aka joe the plumber did, but you see that it wont last. She is a joke among every one except the deep base, the fringe of the repukes. She SHOULD run for pres though, only problem is enough high ranking repukes would stop her from getting far, they dont want her to run against Obama in 2012 r Clinton in 2016, because she would make the GOP look even MORE ridiculus than it does now...

December 2, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  7. Sarah Who You Foolin?

The Great White Dope. Surely the GOP can do better than Sarah.

December 2, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  8. Linda of Atlanta

Obama supporters watch for all the hell on earth that is yet to come, via YOUR president

December 2, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  9. Keri

Jen in Cali: What the hell are YOU talking about? Matt was making an informed post and was spot on in all his observations about Palin. I don't see where you felt the need to attack his character. One has to wonder you are so angry about...

December 2, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  10. Jennifer, Ga.

Please... can she stay in Alaska? I don't want to have to hear her talk (not to mention make very little sense in the process) for the next 4 years.

December 2, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  11. TimZ

I am glad that Palin has finally left GA. Never come back again!

Rove's comment was humorous considering that Palin has never had a clue, let alone an idea.

Amanda, GA,

I just looked up the current vote count on CNN's site just a minute ago; I also just saw it on Brown's show just before that. I voted for Martin, even though I know he doesn't have a snowball's chance.

December 2, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  12. Chris in Va.

Amanda-Ga, Georgia BEAUTIFUL!?!?!?! When I was there I kept looking for the handle to flush it!!!! You're probably one of those who think it's a compliment when someone refers to you as a redneck......let you in an a little secret....it's not, you know how you Good ol' Boys refer to African-Americans when they're not around...you know the "N" word, well, when someone referes to you as a redneck.............

December 2, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  13. rah rah Palin!

To all of us recently diagnosed with Acute Palin-induced Emesis (the condition of retching uncontollably at the name "Sarah Palin") – let's all remember: The longer she stays in the news, the more people develop our condition, and the lower her chances are in 2012, or anytime.

Stay in the news Sarah *retch* – I will gladly sacrifice my gastric comfort to guarantee that you will never have a chance.

December 2, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  14. Ruby Hutchins

I would like to see Sarah Paln run in 2012-She is great !!

December 2, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  15. Bs

Governor Palin is utterly convicted that the signs in the sun, the moons, and the stars should be imminent.

December 2, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  16. Rob

Ahhh, the air of change and the warmth of inclusion.
    So refreshing!

December 2, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  17. Ross H. Gillikin

Sara Palin may be many things but so far she is not a political prostitute. sorry about that.

December 2, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  18. OCC Doug

Sarah is going to get a real test in Alaska now that oil has dropped below $50 a barrell. It was easy for her to have a sky high popularity rating in Alaska when the state was giving every citizen in the state $1,300 check. Now, she is going to have to make tough decisions because of the decline in oil revenue and that is sure to make people angry and test her mettle as a leader in her home state.

December 2, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  19. JT from Missouri

To America:
    While I do agree that Sarah Palin needs to do research to learn how to be a more affective politician, attacking her personally is stepping out of bounds just a little bit. Even Obama proved that to be true today when he met with all of those governors to discuss the economic crisis. He may not agree with her politically wise, but he is willing to put that aside and work together with her. Sarah actually said herself,when she met with him today, that she is impressed with all the bi-partisan ideas that Obama has come up with to help the country. Saying all that, what I am really saying is that it is okay to criticize her politically, but attacking her personally is out of character and not what America needs. Lets move on America and try to get done what needs to be done to help us.

December 2, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  20. Marie in California

WHEN Palin runs in 2012 she WILL get my vote and my money. It gives me something positive to look forward to. The woman is brilliant, an achiever, and squeaky clean.

As for Obama.....well, he can just keep "the change." He's not MY president. I didn't vote for him. I don't want him. I ignore him.

All that from a lifelong Democrat (until June 2008)....and a card-carrying Mensan who didn't buy into Obama's empty promises that were totally lacking in substance. I still think he's "dirty."

December 2, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  21. Ross H. Gillikin

Sara Palin may be a lot of things but so far she is not a political
    prostitute.

Ross

December 2, 2008 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  22. Pat

Okay, I have tried to be polite . No longer . This women is an idiot . Plain and simple.

December 2, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  23. labman57

Palin believes that God is on her side, and that everything she does is "God's will". Therefore, in her mind, she can do no wrong. She also follows the extreme right-wing Machiavellian mantra of "if it gets me elected, it's all good."

This is a very dangerous mindset to have when in a position to shape social and foreign policy at the national level, and for these reasons, I pray that Alaskans will have enough sense to prevent her from ever being elected to the Senate. I have every confidence that the American people will prevent her from ever residing in the White House.

December 2, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  24. Adam

Why is what Karl Rove still news? Didn't he write a full page article in Newsweek on how Hillary "will" win the nomination?

December 2, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  25. Retired Army in San Antonio

Marie in California December 2nd, 2008 8:43 pm ET
    ...........All that from a lifelong Democrat (until June 2008)….and a card-carrying Mensan who didn't buy into Obama's empty promises that were totally lacking in substance. I still think he's "dirty

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Which goes to show that even a Mensan can be an idiot (LOL) .

December 2, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |