December 2nd, 2008

Sen. Martinez won't seek reelection

Martinez will not seek a second term.
Martinez will not seek a second term.

(CNN) - Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Florida, announced Tuesday will not seek reelection in 2010.

In a Florida press conference, Martinez said his decision was not based on the likelihood he would face a tough reelection fight.

"I've faced much tougher obstacles in my life," he said. "My decision is not based on re-election prospects, but on what on what I want to do with the next eight years of my life."

The first term senator and onetime National Republican Committee chairman narrowly won his first Senate race in 2004. Martinez also served as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development during President Bush's term.

One congressional source cited Martinez's age, 62, and said "he is ready for the next chapter in his life."

It currently appears 19 GOP seats will be up for grabs in 2010.

Filed under: Mel Martinez
  1. That Other Jerry

Looks like the talking point for the day is "neocon". Any of you actually know the difference between a conservative and a neoconservative, or do you just like the sound of the word because it reminds you of neo-Nazi, and so you think it sounds mean?

December 2, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  2. Jeff, FL

Martinez has seen the writing on the wall. When he, as National Republican Committee chairman, couldn't even deliver the Latino vote in Florida, it became obvious that his time was growing short. Bye, Mel...your mediocrity and constant willingness to support the right wing agenda will always be remembered.

December 2, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  3. ATLian

Another rat abandons the sinking ship?

December 2, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  4. getting closer

finally a GOP Sen. with some common sense. good call

December 2, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  5. Jeff, FL

"I'm sure Jeb will run." You may be right. Gearing up for an eventual run at the White House, despite his declarations to the contrary. Curses, maledictions and imprecations...

December 2, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  6. Sweetie

As the balance changes....

The Democratic Party is losing any chance of blaming the Republicans!

It is going to be up to them, with no excuses to turn this once Great Nation around!

Good Luck!

I predict a year from now no one will admit they are a Democrat and voted for the "Empty Suit"!

December 2, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  7. petena

Yeah after he got caught with taking gifts and having to pay. I wonder what other dirt this guy is hiding. Yep, I am from Florida and I would have told this guy goodbye as well.

December 2, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  8. willow

so Chuck wants one political party? The Dems naturally. How unhealthy a viewpoint that is. Our country needs two, strong, opposing parties otherwise we have only a dictatorship. I am sure most of you with your hateful comments – "swine, bet he had a fat wallet, calling him Castro," etc. don't really even know anything about this man other than that he is a hispanic Republican. How can that be? Hasn't the Democratic party done their job by exploiting and manipulating hispanics enough so they think their only choice is a Democrat? Any hispanic who dares to vote conservative or be a Republican must be punished lest the other lemmings get the crazy notion to think for themselves and examine the issues.

December 2, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. Dale

Financially he's set for life after serving only one term. The Houses of Congress take care of each other and then they complain about the automaker CEOs. Go figure.

December 2, 2008 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  10. bill

G. O. P. gutless offensive party.if they would hav stood up to the worst lousest president.they wouldnt be in this kind of shape.good by bush CAINT COME TOO SOON.caint wait till moving vans back up to OUR HOUSE.and move the scum out

December 2, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  11. george

HOWL MANY DEMOCRAT Senatorial seats will be up for grabs next time around...probably several...and I'll bet I know a FEW who won't make it.

George
    Rochester, NY

December 2, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  12. gbrown2

I know there's a GOD!!! Thanks Martinez for NOTHING!!!!!

December 2, 2008 01:03 pm at 1:03 pm |
  13. Guy

Good bye Mel. We're glad to see you go... now go.

December 2, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  14. I Just Said Thanks, but No Thanks to Another 4 years of g.o.p. corruption, arrogance and incompetence

buh-bye

December 2, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  15. roy

The writing is on the wall.....get out while you can......better to go out on top than lose in a landslide next election.

December 2, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  16. ray

all the morns on the right in the senate and house should pack and go.the mess this country over the last eight years.

December 2, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  17. Steve

The Republican Party is destroyed but like always there will be a party to replace it but probably not until after the 2010 election,
    When I lived in the South from about 1992 thru 1997 White People
    voted Republican in Federal elections and Democratic in State elections.
    Look at election results and see the percentages of large vote majorities McCAin carried in most of the Southern States. It was these people that the Replublican party has always depended on to carry elections for many years.
    Let's hope that the party that replaces the Republican party does not place itself in the position that they are politically liable to politicans
    that favor Republican style candidates in federal elections and Democratic candidates in State Elections as in the past. is this not why racism has continued to be a problem in the South for past 40 to 50 years.

December 2, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  18. Fla. Voter

After his Terri Schiavo memo (among other reasons), I cannot say I'm disappointed to see Martinez go. Mel's approval ratings are very low in FL.

However, there is NO way I would vote another Bush in office. Jeb is too similar to his brother's above the law approach. Jeb Bush was ruled unconstitutional TWICE but still pursued the Schiavo intrusion and private vouchers. Sorry, but many of us have had enough.

December 2, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  19. Jill American

He served his purpose .. to get Bush re-elected in 2004. Buh Bye!

December 2, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  20. Jay

Too bad Christopher Dood and Barney Frank are not doing the samething!

December 2, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  21. 1/20/13

To Tulsa.

After reading some of these blogs it appears you have to much free time on your hands......I have a novel CONSERVATIVE idea for you get a job and quit waiting for the hand outs.

Also, dont forget to give your mom some money for the internet bill, its the least you can do since she lets you live there

December 2, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  22. Pedro from Hialeah,FL

To find out about this brings hope to me here in the sunshine state. We have seen nothing productive about this Senator. I commend him for having the wit to step out and admit his failure. While I believe Democrats are not the ultimate solution to everything, they do bring a realistic approach to government that Republicans have not done so since the Reagan administration. To the Democrats: Ride the Wave!
    To the Republicans: Sink or Swim[flee]

December 2, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  23. Catherine

Thank goodness. He had nothing to offer. How about somebody new with some fresh ideas for Florida. now that would be nice. I am tired of the same old scare politics and partisan ideology. Find common ground and get something done. that is what we pay these people to do!

December 2, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  24. President Barack Obama

Let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!!!

December 2, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  25. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

He is wearing a flag pin. That's all I need to see!

(sarcasm off!)