December 2nd, 2008

Sen. Martinez won't seek reelection

Martinez will not seek a second term.
Martinez will not seek a second term.

(CNN) - Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Florida, announced Tuesday will not seek reelection in 2010.

In a Florida press conference, Martinez said his decision was not based on the likelihood he would face a tough reelection fight.

"I've faced much tougher obstacles in my life," he said. "My decision is not based on re-election prospects, but on what on what I want to do with the next eight years of my life."

The first term senator and onetime National Republican Committee chairman narrowly won his first Senate race in 2004. Martinez also served as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development during President Bush's term.

One congressional source cited Martinez's age, 62, and said "he is ready for the next chapter in his life."

It currently appears 19 GOP seats will be up for grabs in 2010.

Filed under: Mel Martinez
  1. Conservative Independent

Shame that so many Republicans are jumping ship. Hopefully this will allow some others, though, that hold to a true conservative belief to rise up and step into office. Just wait 4 years from now, as the Dems are in power, we will see a discontent with the general public and there will be another shift back the other way. The public is fickle like that...

I can't wait to see what kind of hair brained social agenda the far left dems have in mind now that they have power. Oh well, only 4 more years to go.

December 2, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. russel

Can any of you lefty nuts even define what a neocon is? Quick, now go run to wikipedia or google and look up the term so you can come back here and act like you know what your talking about. I am so amazed at how ignorant so many Americans are.

For the most part, you lefties simply regurgitate the same bile spewing forth from our liberal media. The left has become nothing more than puppets of the press; stained red from drinking too much kool-aid.

December 2, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  3. pam Eugene OR

I am sure all Republicans will ALL have a hard time with reelection in 2010. They have a tough decision about what direction their party will take. Will they take the Palin path of right wing religious wackos or will they follow the vile teaching of Carl Rove tactics? Possibly they could reemerge as a party that really does dislike big government and high taxes. I have voted as a Republican for the past 35 years except for the last 8 years. I did not vote for a second term for Bush and I supported Barack Obama this year.
    It will be interesting to see what the 2012 Party looks like. In any case I can't ever see myself ever returning to the Republicans. They are lost in the wilderness.

December 2, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  4. tvafiadis

And another one bites the dust. I hope floridians are smart enough not to get Jeb Bush back but then again.......

December 2, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  5. TSRVT

I'm sure Jeb 'Shadow GOP Government' Bush will run. These GOP scum are like cockroaches, you can't ever seem to get rid of them.

December 2, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  6. Matt

I know little about Mr. Martinez, but I will say that the pendelum swings back and forth in many political things, and right now it is going the democrats way. That will not last as they will screw things up as good as the republicans have, and then there will be a backlash the other way. And by the way, I seem to recall the Carter and Clinton administrations making all sorts of concerned comments about Castro. This has not just been a republican issue.

December 2, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  7. ray

maybe sara palin should go live in florida and run.

December 2, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  8. Mike

Another do-nothing Republican in the back pockets of Corporate America gone! Amen to that!!

Let's get Alex Sink to run for his spot, or maybe get Charlie "What Crisis?" Crist out of the governor's mansion. She would run circles around either one of these guys.

December 2, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  9. Rootin for Florida

C'mon Florida!

Pick a great democrat and let's seal the deal with 60+ in the senate in 2010!

December 2, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  10. Sarge in Florida

There truly is a GOD!!!! Good riddance Martinez...We people of the state of can't stand you anyways. The only reason you were elected was because of Jeb Bush...I just pray that Jeb won't run for his Senate seat..Like one of the comments in here stated. We darn sure don't need another BUSH in any political position anymore. Haven't the Bushes hurt the USA enough....So as I stated before GOOD RIDDANCE, may the door kick you in the rump on the way out.

December 2, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  11. DaytonaDude

One less right wing nut job in the Senate. For too long these troglydytes have blocked the will of the people, poll after poll shows we want out of Iraq, we want national health insurance, we want more aid to higher eduction, we want an end to corporate welfare, and this neo-con has been one of the top obstructionists, doing the bidding of fat cats and corporations as he did the Bush Bootlick. Good bye and good riddance.

December 2, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  12. Matt

see ya laytah senator poopypants

December 2, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  13. sglman4Obama

19 more for us Democrats! I LOVE CHANGE

December 2, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  14. DFinFL

Like most people in Florida, Martinez is one more neocon that I will be more than glad to be rid of.

Unfortunately, 2010 is a long way off and I suspect this rat-face has something up his sleeve.

December 2, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  15. Chris

This news made my day. As a Floridian, I say good riddance.

December 2, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  16. Farrell, Houston, Tx

The GOP is sinking fast and still have no clue but I'll give them a couple, Palin and Giuliani. Dump your garbage.

December 2, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  17. Cesar in FL

I lived in Orange County Florida when he was the County Commissioner, then went to Washington to become the head of HUD before his Senate run. I've known him to be a good man, of good character and principles.
    If you don't agree with his principles, and his "conservative" views, that's fine, but don't talk bad about a man you DON'T know.
    Not all Republicans are bad people, they just see things differently.
    I am an independent, and this last election voted Mostly democrat, including voting for Obama, but I use common sense, not this "hate all republicans" attitude I read about. That's what makes me sad.

December 2, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  18. mike

more elected official should only spend 1 or 2 terms, anyone that has been in DC for more then 12 years should go.

December 2, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  19. Felines For Freedom

As a liberal Floridian, I say "Cheers!" Martinez is a very conservative right-winger and I just hope that whichever GOPer emerges to fight for his seat, they are of the more centrist variety. Senator Martinez, this is the first thing you've said or done politically that's made me happy!

December 2, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  20. rob

he was ready for retirement years ago..florida is getting their karma back big time

December 2, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  21. Eric

He will run for Prez in 2012. He has a Hispanic last name, white skin, and enough national level experience to make him viable. He is the pander-to-Hispanic candidate that won't alienate the GOP old guard.

December 2, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  22. Dave in Atlanta

Is he stepping down to allow Jeb Bush to run for Senate?

December 2, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  23. kasera

THANKS BE TO ALMIGHTY GOD. FINALLY THEY ARE LIVING!!!!

Florida does not want him back where is he going now

December 2, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  24. Nathan Seattle

Next 8 years of his life...? Senators only serve for six. Maybe he will be appointed to a position in the Obama administration.

December 2, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  25. Ed

lets us reward castro – he did so much good to cuba! Lift the embargo – JFK would be happy!

December 2, 2008 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |