December 2nd, 2008

Sen. Martinez won't seek reelection

Martinez will not seek a second term.
Martinez will not seek a second term.

(CNN) - Sen. Mel Martinez, R-Florida, announced Tuesday will not seek reelection in 2010.

In a Florida press conference, Martinez said his decision was not based on the likelihood he would face a tough reelection fight.

"I've faced much tougher obstacles in my life," he said. "My decision is not based on re-election prospects, but on what on what I want to do with the next eight years of my life."

The first term senator and onetime National Republican Committee chairman narrowly won his first Senate race in 2004. Martinez also served as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development during President Bush's term.

One congressional source cited Martinez's age, 62, and said "he is ready for the next chapter in his life."

It currently appears 19 GOP seats will be up for grabs in 2010.

Filed under: Mel Martinez
  1. Jeff From Jersey

Another rat jumps ship.Too bad Bush didn't or we'd have had a much better America.

December 2, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  2. Dave

I see the CNN comment sections partisan hacks are out in force....

What a joke the comments section has become...

December 2, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  3. Melanie McCready

Sen Martinez, retire now and let Gov Crist appoint a strong republican to take your place. Perhaps Gov Crist himself? Perhaps Gov Palin??

December 2, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  4. Brad

I see several people hating this guy for being a Republican, but not for anything he's done. I am not surprised at all.

December 2, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  5. Maggie in NYS

Darko – they could have accomplished a lot if not for all those vetos...more than any other president in history!

December 2, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  6. Reality

550 metric tons of yellowcake uranium found in Iraq and secretly removed to Canada. Vindication for GWBush and the men and women of our armed forces. History will remember GW as a man of honor who unfairly suffered 5 years of negative press and being called a war monger. Turns out Saddam Hussein's WMD capability was worse than anyone could have ever imagined. He had nuclear capability, forget about chemical weapons.

I wonder why CNN has not reported this. It is the front page/headline news everywhere else on the planet.

December 2, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  7. Glenn-Florida

YES!! Maybe after a few years we can flush that Jeb Bush mentality out of our state government once and for all. These are the people that have total disregard for our state constitution and total distain for our Florida courts and real qualified Judges. (not to mention the distain for the citizens of our state) Political lackys are done! We may eventually get a government by the people, for the people in Florida. The damage the Republicans have done to our state is criminal.
    Governor Charlie Crist is next to leave.

December 2, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  8. reggie

We'll miss him down here in Miami. He did a great job representing my state. Sad to see him go, but it's his choice.

December 2, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  9. Dave

gotta love the blind attack dogs that pollute the comments board. Admit it. Almost NONE of you even know anything about this guy.

December 2, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  10. david

I live in Florida and did not vote for Mr. Martinez nor would I vote for him if he decided to seek reelection. It will be interesting to see who runs for his seat and how soon they will get started. I hope no one anounces soon as I am still trying to get the unpleasantness of the past election's stink out of my being. Maybe we can do without another Senator from Florida for a long while as neither party seems to repersent anything but the wealthy in this state.

December 2, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  11. LAW

While you folks are busy gloating about a man retiring in two years, consider this. I tried to tell you rabid Bush/Cheney haters that your hoped-for indictment (in Texas) against Vice President Cheney was one man’s meritless and vindictive crusade. You should have listened. Read on:

“A judge dismissed indictments against Vice President Dick Cheney and former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales on Monday and told the south Texas prosecutor who brought the case to exercise caution as his term in office ends. Willacy County District Attorney Juan Angel Guerra had accused Cheney and the other defendants of responsibility for prisoner abuse. The judge's order ended two weeks of sometimes-bizarre court proceedings. Guerra is leaving office at the end of the month after being soundly defeated in the March primary election.”

December 2, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  12. lou

great news!!!... he is huge looser and a poor excuse for a senator. We won't miss him....

December 2, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  13. Brian

GOOD BYE RINO !!!!

December 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  14. Mickie

I'm sure he is not interested in working with a democratic President and majority democratic Senate and House of Representatives. He wouldn't be able to steal any "pork" for his state. Hopefully, all the other republican representatives will retire.

December 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  15. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Another Bush victim, though Bush will never admit it!

December 2, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  16. patriot

Good! Maybe the Batistaphile Republicans are finally losing their grip on FL!

December 2, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  17. Virginia

As a Floridian, I say good riddance. He was always a Bush butt kisser.

December 2, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  18. Aha!

Today's headline: STUDY FINDS 1 IN 5 YOUNG ADULTS HAS PERSONALITY DISORDER.

That finally explains some of these eratic, babbling bloggers!

December 2, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  19. Florida Joe

Darko
    Get a grip
    Tough to accomplish anything when the Republicans blocked everything the Dems in congress tried to do. As far as bailouts it seems that it is a Republican President and Treasury Secretary that are dealing out the billions to their buddies at AIG, Citi bank etc......

Republicans had the Congress and the Presidency for 6 years and did nothing

Give me a break

December 2, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  20. Peter Pan

I could not be happier to see this miserable, narrow minded, evil bigot resign his seat in the senate. The days of these Cban tyrants is over!! And I must confess I am Cuban.
    It's about time he's getting the hell out of politics! I wonder what kind of "dirt" this imbecile is involved in and now that he doesn't have "Bushie" to cover up for him, it will all be revelaed. He should marry Sarah Palin and move to Alaska. Hasta la Vista low life!!

December 2, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  21. California Gold

See.... M&Ms melt in your mouth–not in your hand.

December 2, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  22. Dena

My fellow Floridians – never forget; MARTINEZ VOTED FOR THE WALL STREET BAILOUT! I agree that he's paving the way for JEB, who was a decent Governor, but I WILL NEVER, NEVER, NEVER vote for another Bush! Martinez will probably also be on the Republican Presidential ticket, maybe as VP, because the party wants to try to reclaim the Hispanic voter.

December 2, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  23. Woodbridge Va

I knew Mel Martinez when he was the HUD Secretary. He is a good man and a thoughtful politician. I am not surprized he is leaving the Senate after only one term. Prior to 2004, he had always held executive positions and was never particularly attracted to legislative work. I suspect he has always been much more interested in being Governor of Florida than in doing anything in Washington. I wish him well.

December 2, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  24. Steve from Florida

Good riddance.

December 2, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  25. Diane Panama City Fl

As a native Floridian, all I can say is: it's about time. For most of the past four years, I thought we only had one US Senator, Bill Nelson, a Democrat – of course.

December 2, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |