December 3rd, 2008

Democratic governors elect Montana's Schweitzer as chairman

Schweitzer will chair the DGA.
Schweitzer will chair the DGA.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – The Democratic Governor's Association announced Wednesday that Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer will take over as the group's chairman, replacing West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin.

Schweitzer, a bolo tie-wearing moderate who handily won a second term as governor in November, was elected at the DGA's annual winter meeting, with Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley winning the post of vice-chair.

Both men have taken active roles in the DGA, and each said they look forward to working with President-elect Obama as a partner.

The Montana governor is perhaps best known nationally for delivering an electrifying speech to the Democratic National Convention in August, stealing the show on a night when former Virginia Gov. Mark Warner was supposed to be the headliner, but delivered a relatively lackluster keynote address.

Gov. Manchin praised Schweitzer for helping the party win in traditionally conservative regions of the country.

“The DGA has never been in a stronger position, and Brian Schweitzer is a dynamic leader who will take the organization to the next level,” Manchin said. “Brian has made in-roads in traditionally conservative-leaning areas because he’s honest, practical, and knows how to get results.”

The Republican Governor's Association named South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford as their chairman last month at the RGA's annual meeting in Miami.

Filed under: DGA
  1. Laverne

Oh goody, he is soo fun and cuddly!

December 3, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  2. Franky

To be honest, he is a good Governor. I'm very impressed by Gov Schweitzer and selecting him as chair of the DGA, I think is a smart move. Plus, I would argue that without him, my boy wouldv'e lost Montana by at least 10 points or close to that but the fact he was veru enthusiastic and had my boy's back and literally thought my boy could win Montana, gave faith to my boy. Don't worry Gov!! Montana will be in our hands in 2012 and we'll still continue to get upsets in the GOP's home turf...ohh yes we can! LOL!!

December 3, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  3. Tulsa

I LIKE this guy!

December 3, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  4. Corey, Maryland

Congrats Mr. Schweitzer on getting the Chairmanship, you will do a great job!!

Martin O'Malley, nice job on getting Vice-Chair!!!!!

December 3, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  5. Franky

And for the record, I also think Gov Mark Sanford is also a good pick for the RGA. Pretty good picks...

December 3, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  6. Mel in Montana

We are very proud of our common-sense governor here in Montana. Way to go, Brian!

December 3, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  7. indevoterphilly

THIS IS A GREAT CHOICE !!!

December 3, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  8. Ted

I'm a big Schweitzer fan.
    Heck, in 2016, I'd vote for him.

December 3, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  9. Independent Fred

I liked this guy's fire at the DNC a couple of months ago.

Honestly I see both he and Bobbi Jindal as up and comming stars for their respective parties. We need more moderates on both sides really. I'm glad America is finally getting tired of idealogues.

December 3, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  10. Rob K

Sounds like a good move to me. The Democrats see an opening for a new coalition in the western states, and Gov. Schweitzer will have some great insight on how to build that coalition.

December 3, 2008 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  11. Florence in Oregon

Outstanding choice! This is a real rising star in the Dem party. He can clean Palin's clock and he knows real stuff about the environment and how to slow global warming.

December 3, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  12. robert g parker

We like him here in Montana. He will do good as the chairman. He's an american first and party second!

December 3, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  13. sglman4Obama

His charisma is just what the party needs to motivate itself and stay on the pulse of change under president Obama. I say YEEHAW for the new president of the DGA!

December 3, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  14. Kona

This is a good call, I like Gov. Schweitzer. Plus, he and our President-Elect get along well so all the better.

December 3, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  15. Steph

Schweitzer: A northern governor who is authentic, likeable, down to earth, well versed on the issues, pragmatic, intelligent , well spoken,
    and , (unlike another northern governor we heard a lot about this summer),
    the real "energy expert" who understands the issues surrounding
    energy, economy and environment.

December 3, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  16. Gia in Los Angeles, CA

I'm thrilled for him. I love this man! I was, however, hoping that he would be nominated for energy secretary. Maybe later. I think he definitely should have a higher profile, though.

December 3, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  17. Magnus

Brian Schweitzer = the Jack Bauer of Democratic Governors

December 3, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  18. KG

Good choice. This guy has a good combination of Democrat and Republican ideals. He brings the best of both parties. A Demublican!

December 3, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  19. Peter (CA)

Had not heard anything about him before the Democratic convention but he is pretty impressive.
    Montana seems to love him, too.

December 3, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  20. deb in Colo

Loved him at the DNC! Great speech.

December 3, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  21. Yellowstone

I live in Montana and Gov Schweitzer is one of the best Gov's that we have had in years!!! If you look at the demographics Mt is a Blue state and getting more blue every year. I love this place!

Ps.. Please don't move here though - ok??? The winters would scare most of you anyway!

December 3, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  22. Count VA 2008 ... were making it Officially BLUE

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is great!

December 3, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  23. Anonymous

Now you are using your brains. Excellant choice. I liked this man the first time I heard him during the primary. Good News for a change.

December 3, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  24. Montana Woman

I just wish he would get a high position in the Obama administration so we in Montana would be rid of him. He is a self-aggrandizing jerk.

December 3, 2008 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  25. Arden

Excellant choice and good news for a change. I really like this guy since I first saw him during the primary election.

December 3, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |