December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Dakota

---
    haha, what a funny guy. I like Richardson's character. I just hope he does a good job as Secretary of Commerce.

December 3, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  2. SENATUS POPOLUSQUE ROMANUS

I believe Richardson ought to worry about the SEVERAL extra pounds he is accumulating rather than shaving his beard………….

December 3, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  3. Anne E.

I'm deeply disappointed that Gov. Richardson isn't our Secretary of State, but I know he'll be a great commerce secretary, beard or no beard.

December 3, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  4. Jazz

That was a good disappointment joke Obama.

December 3, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  5. Chris-Chicago, IL

If he had that beard while running for President, he would have had my vote.

December 3, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  6. Diablo

I told him to.

December 3, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  7. Iowa Mom

He looked a lot better with the beard..and thinner possibly.

December 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  8. brett

in his defense, it was no shave november. he's gotta wait till razor-free february to get that beast going again

December 3, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  9. Yvenst Miami

I agree.

Richardson should not have cut the beard.

He looks like a nerdy bully withou it.

December 3, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  10. cool onlooker

Beard or no beard, he is Richardson. I respect this gentleman so much. He had all the guts to come out endorse Obama when so many controversies happened at almost the same time to Obama. He has insight.

Don't worry about the extra pounds. The country and the position will get you to do more exercise than ever to lose them.

: )

December 3, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  11. KJL

I think he looks very distinguished either way.

December 3, 2008 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  12. scaramooch

Without the beard, I think he resembles J. Edgar Hoover.

December 3, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  13. Gary

I think its stupid that Obama would even make an issue out of it.

A person's choice of appearance is none of his business.

December 3, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  14. Nick

He shaved it? It gave him a "cool" factor.

December 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  15. Matt

He can't sell beard rides anymore now that he's going to be SoC, so why bother keeping it?

December 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  16. suzyku

Richardson does look better with the beard!

December 3, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  17. Roberto

Bill Richardson needs a beard to hide his triple chin. I love the guy, but he has a face made for radio.

December 3, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  18. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

Bill ... the beard was sexy!

December 3, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  19. ANAG LOS ANGELES, CA

He looks pretty bad without it thats not the point though CONGRATS GOV. RICHARDSON on your position even thought you were robbed by hillary for sec of state

December 3, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  20. JOHN

slow news day, eh?

December 3, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  21. Brittany

With Beard

December 3, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  22. M

Is Bill Richardson growing another face?

December 3, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  23. True American

He is fat and repulsive with or without the beard. He should try wearing a paper bag over his head next time!

December 3, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  24. Dee

Richardson was hot with the beard ;-)

December 3, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  25. Rosie

The beard was sexy! Bill might have been President if he'd grown it sooner.

December 3, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |