December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Atlanta in da hood

he needs to get that double chin sucked out!

December 3, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  2. TM in CO

He looks like a larger version of Graham Greene without the beard. Much better with it though. Yep. Slow news day

December 3, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  3. NIKI

THAT WAS HARSH COMING FROM PE OBAMA,BUT TRUE

December 3, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  4. Southern resident

Richardson looks better with the beard since it covers all his extra chins
    and makes his face look thinner.

December 3, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  5. NLC

He looks great and will be a great Secretary of Commerce

December 3, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  6. Jerry

To "Marie in California",

You seriously need a psych evalutation. Get some help. That's all i'm going to say.

December 3, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  7. legare

Lighten up people this is feel good news. I like the beard and the pick. Great beginning Barack keep it going.

December 3, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  8. Antonio from KY

What is the point of this article? Please tell me, I'm at a loss.

December 3, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  9. bobo

Richardson shaves beard: Dow Falls 477 points in late trading.

December 3, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  10. Thomas L. Boise, ID

A beard should not be a prerequisite for being secretary of commerce. Governor Richardson made an excellent choice in shaving his beard. He's sending a powerful signal to the American public that he's a very nice clean cut gentleman who's ready to perform his duties accordingly. Being clean cut is the better way to go; otherwise he could have been badly criticized for being too darn lazy to take a shave.

December 3, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  11. Jerry

It's funny how the only people who have a problem with Richardson, are the people who were the Clinton die-hards during the Democratic primary. Yeah, um, Hillary is now a member of the Obama administration, and yes, so is Richardson, or "Judas" as you sore loser dropouts like to refer to him. Hillary is over it, Bill is over it, AMERICA IS OVER IT!

Get on board or just shut up and join the dark side already!!!!

December 3, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  12. Virginia Dare

I think he's a cutie pie either way. I like a man with a little meat on the bones, like a big bear! . Whoopie.

December 3, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  13. Cory

The beard is sexy, sexy sexy....please Gov, grow it back on.

December 3, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  14. Mike

If CNN continues with these misleading and exploitative headlines, I will begin to get my news from another source. Thank you.

December 3, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  15. Sheri

Why id CNN posting this?????? You have to be kidding me....who really cares?

December 3, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  16. snee

pro-beard!

December 3, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  17. Anonymous

he should have kept the beard. that double chin is gross. its hanging over his collar and tie.

December 3, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  18. Jake

It must be news since OB spoke...

December 3, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  19. Brian

OMG!

For the past few months, I grew a MUSTACHE for a video project and now that I shaved it off, I suspect I will be questioned for my lack of mustache!

December 3, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  20. N. S. Huntsville, Al

LOL that whats cute. Richardson is a good man!

December 3, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  21. Mike

So This is national news!!! So disappointing with all the mess that Washington has created.

December 3, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  22. Maxine, PA

He does need to lose weight, just for his health.

December 3, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  23. Jared CA

So much for Obama being bipartisan. Where are all these Republican cabinet members he told us he'd have? I DOthink that Richardson will be good as Commerce Sec.

December 3, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  24. Bruce Pethel, Landis, NC

An old Sergeant once told me "Anybody can grow a a beard; it takes a man to keep one." As Ronald Reagan might have said, "Mr. Richardson, let that beard grow out."

December 3, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |