December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. tulsa, ok

I like the beard

December 3, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  2. NW

Beard? Not the issue. I think the Gov needs to drop some weight. I want him to be healthy and around for a long long time.

December 3, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  3. Gene in PA

Usually a beard makes you look older, but in his case it looks like he aged 5 years without the beard.

December 3, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  4. rm

@Proud American & True American"

Firstly, you two(probably the same person) need to change your names on this blog. Proud and True you are not. Secondly, it is easy to call someone ugly when you are sitting behind a keyboard. Grow up.

December 3, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  5. Kyle

Beard all the way.

December 3, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  6. Rush Lameduck

This guy is Obamas second mistake so far.

December 3, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  7. Krista

This was a little moment of levity during tough times for this country. It will be nice to have a president who can make jokes once in while and not be the butt of them like Shrub has been.

Bill congrats on the job! Please grow the beard back! It looked great!

December 3, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  8. NatV, NYC

Now the Pres-Elect will decide for his cabinet members if they are allowed to answer any questions even personal. What a power grabber!

December 3, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  9. Maureen

He looked so handsome with the beard – I hope he grows it back.

December 3, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  10. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Bring the beard back!

December 3, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  11. Jimmy in Texas

This is a bad choice considering what he had done as the head of Dept of Energy in Clinton Adminstration. A typical politician who stands for not much.......

December 3, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  12. drinkwench

I agree with Barack. I think Bill looked a lot better with the beard.

December 3, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  13. peter kempf

I think we should start a "Bring Back the Beard Bill" campaign!!

December 3, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  14. Pat in IL

I like and trust Richardson....beard or no beard. Some idiot on this board called him "ugly". That person is an idiot who may or may not be considered "beautiful" or "ugly" on the outside, but the inside is obviously not only ugly (for making such a dumb remark), but also really, really shallow. Is that kind of thing relavent to the intelligence and talents of people committed to public service?

December 3, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  15. Dan

Okay, I have to say that this is very odd. Not even close to a news story in any way shape or form. I can't even begin to figure out what significance this has.

December 3, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  16. MikeH

Bill looks like he has a gular pouch for storing fish.

December 3, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  17. PAT California

If Obama chose him for the job, he's the right one for it, with or without the beard. Personally, I like the beard better. It gives him character and it makes him look younger. My son shaved his too because it was coming in GRAY!!!!! Same reason?

December 3, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  18. Matthew

he looks a bit older and a lot fatter now.

December 3, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  19. Lynda

Grow the beard back! Not all men look good in a beard but Bill Richardson really does.

December 3, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  20. regor60

Obama's bizarre comment on Richardson's hairless visage continues to demonstrate he needs to hire a humor consultant...quickly. We've already had 8 years of Bush's facial tics during press conferences to deal with, I don't think I could stand another 4 of nerdy half-witticisms.

Don't get me started on Richardson...the guy is not bright.

December 3, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  21. carol814

That is none of his busiess what this man does or doesn't do he has that freedom to do what ever he feels like doing and that is a fact.

This man who thinks is our President does have the right to get into anybodies space he is not a dictator. Maybe he is uncomfortable with it or maybe his wife doesn't like it there are so many reasons why he shaved it but that is his choice and that is a fact.

Just for that I would tell Barry to take that job and shove it where it "don't" hurt and make sure to do it now.

December 3, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  22. Greed is not good

Well he had to shave and get a haircut for the interview...
    He looks cooler with the beard though yeah.

December 3, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  23. CB

The beard looked better. Hides a "fuller" face.

December 3, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  24. Susan

A good laugh. Funny.

December 3, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  25. rj

definitely keep the beard!

to Marie in California.....keep posting. you have got to be the most mor onic poster on this blog. i love the laughs i get from your posts. how is it that you manage to turn on a computer?

December 3, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |