December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Larry, Apex, North Carolina

This is NEWS!?! Come on, CNN-get profesional!

December 3, 2008 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  2. From NYC

Yeah bring the Beard back Bill Richardson!!!

It was definitely Young, Hip and Stylish.... very Consistent with the new Obama Administration. You looked liked Robert Deniro in the movie "Heat".

Stylized but also "Sharp".

December 3, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. Anonymous

Bill looks younger with the facial hair....this is definitely against the normal way of things (as of course normally men with facial hair normally look older) but there you have it. Grow it back Bill! By the way, it was awesome to hear him speak Spanish during the conference!! Another awesome pick Obama! :-)

December 3, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  4. Lauren

This headline is misleading. Shame on you.

December 3, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  5. John Hine

Bill,
    Go with your gut instinct!! I do think you look better with the beard. It makes you look younger and thins your face. Regardless of appearance, Obama made a great choice in picking you!!! Carry on!!

December 3, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  6. Alicia

Richardson's sudden...beardness after the primary was a shock to me – he looked rather disheveled. But it's grown on me now and, like Obama, I'm sad to see it go. C'mon, Bill. Don't give into The Man just because you have an awesome job now.

P.S. to the people who made the weight comments: Get over it. We let Cheney be vice president for eight years and he's a fatty, too. Maybe not the best example, but he did survive...as far as we know, anyhow.

December 3, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  7. Obama for President

What's the matter with these losers on this blog who are so vicious about Richardson? He's a good guy. Personally, I liked his beard. And he speaks Spanish.

December 3, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  8. Jay

It's not news, it's CNN.

December 3, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  9. Missy

Uh, for those of you who are complaining, Obama didn't mean for it to be 'news.'.. IT WAS A JOKE!!!! There's nothing wrong with a little levity once in a while. Lighten up! I'm glad I was able to get a little bit of a laugh.

December 3, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  10. Michael

Way to be misleading, CNN.

December 3, 2008 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  11. Patstooks

I'm "deeply disappointed" too. He look so much better with the beard. With the beard, he looks like someone who knows what he's doing and is very confident that he can help you know what you should do.

GROW IT AGAIN!!!

December 3, 2008 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  12. Leslie Somerville

I am disappointed that this is "ACTUALLY" news worthy...........I agree with Marc in Cally. (I'm deeply disappointed with Obama for chosing this joker as his Commerce secretary. He's an ugly human being inside and out.) Richardson transmigrates to where he feels the winners are and asks them for a job. Thank God Almighty Hillary Clinton made it to SOS. President Elect Obama made a brilliant chose not to put Richardson in that position–smart man.

December 3, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  13. witch

Love the beard!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He will make a great Sec of Commerce.

December 3, 2008 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  14. Jon

Welcome to the next 4 years...

December 3, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  15. TSlaven

With the beard he looked like Luciano Pavarotti. I'm glad he decided to join the living and get rid of it - but more time on the treadmill is necessary still.

December 3, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  16. Stephen Trask

If we wants to appoint someone with a beard, how about Charlie Christ for FEMA.

December 3, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  17. Doug

Yet another former presidential hopeful that Obama is giving a job to. So much for change.

December 3, 2008 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  18. Amber

Awww man...

With the beard he was BILL freakin' RICHARDSON!! LOOK OUT WORLD!

Now he just look like... some dude.

December 3, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  19. J Hallmark

My vote is for the beard !! Looked good on him.

I hope Obama keeps a little levity in the press conferences. Makes the dreary economic news or other unpleasant news a little less worrisome for minute or two.

Grow the bead, Gov....

December 3, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  20. patti

I told my husband when he had his mid-life crisis that I would not kiss him until he shaved his beard. The thing about beards is this: It keeps food in places where it should'nt without a preservative. Ha! He is much better looking without the beard!

December 3, 2008 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  21. Robert NYC

Well, maybe he will grow it again for God Obama.

It's just a sin. CNN, can't you provide us with some worthy news?

December 3, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  22. BS not Maverick

What do you mean, his wife does not let him kiss her, HA.

December 3, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  23. Greyson

That's your story!?

You people decided to write a misleading hed to attract my attention and waste my time by writing an article and hed that has no significance to the concerns of your readers and their lives.

I am taking your website off my list of bookmarks and I am never watching your channel again.

You're supposed to be journalists with excellent news judgement and an understanding of my limited time. If you can't do those things then you don't deserve my time, support, nor my donations.

- Greyson King

December 3, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  24. reality check

haha, good stuff.

December 3, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  25. Anthony

Bill Richardson, if I get to pick should have the beard and the secretary of states job. (Actually he should have had Obama's job but thats a whole other story)

December 3, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |