December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. no bailouts

grow it back richardson.

December 3, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  2. Chris

Bill Richardson is indeed a handsome guy. And the beard really brought out the Latino in him. Bet he'll grow it back. And, ya gotta give credit to the pres-elect. He's got a great sense of humor and a quick wit.. Kinda brings back memories of those great JFK news conferences. With all the sorry news lately, it's refreshing to have a bit of humor.

December 3, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  3. Jim

Dear No Hillary = No Obama and all others alike

Get over yourselves. The country has spoken and Hillary is in support as the next secretary of state. I can not imagine a more suitable way of Hillary showing her support for the President elect. If you can not get over selves leave the country you are doing no one any good.

Obama is da man! The 18 million cracks seemd to have been sealed up for good!

December 3, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  4. Kal Ven

Who cares whether Bill Richardson sports a beard or not? He should learn the habit of answering questions straight. During the democratic presidential debates, Richardson's way of answering questions was really boring. Anyway, Secretary of Commerce is a low profile job that requires very low interaction with press. Hope he does well.

December 3, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  5. Chris

I don't know why he shaved it. He definitely looked cooler with it.

December 3, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  6. hugh ~ california

I agree with Senatus Romanus. Richardson needs to focus on lowering his cholesterol, instead of lowering the length of his facial hair. He needs to change his diet, otherwise he'll be making frequent doctor visits with that good health coverage he has. Gov. Richardson please work hard and don't let us down, but Romulus don't ream us. He'll do a good job if he stays healthy.

December 3, 2008 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. Viet Vet

I concur- -lose the weight

December 3, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  8. Chris

marc in virginia...what is wrong with you??? An 'ugly human being, inside and out?" Comments like that reflect alot about you..inside and out. Lighten up!

December 3, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  9. ChicagoSuz

I like the beard, as well.

December 3, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  10. Daniel

How did Richardson shave?

Did he take the knife out of Hillary's back and use it?

December 3, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  11. Singh

I LIKED THE BEARD!

December 3, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  12. Readyfor2009

The headline for this article was very misleading. The headline should have indicated that it was a humorous comment, something like "Obama Teases Richardson About Beard" rather than making it sound like there was some kind of falling out or problem between them. Yes, the "deeply disappointed" is a quote, but context is important here! One shouldn't have to read the article to realize it was a lighthearted moment.

December 3, 2008 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  13. Stan

This is probably the only "change" we'll see...OH WAIT-- "off the cliff in the next 48" that's another "change"..

December 3, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  14. Bryan

It must be a lot of work shaving that beard.....it's on 10 chins!!!!!

December 3, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  15. Thomas/Washington State

I think Obama and Richardson should both grow beards or goatees. Look at some of the presidents of the past, when facial hair was the norm. Not the Castro jungle militant look, but a nicely trimmed goatee will definitely add character and a presence to Obama's looks. Just like it did for another politician from Illinois 150 years ago..

December 3, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  16. Norm

wow cnn, this is so pathetic, you're headline for this story is "obama deeply dissapointed with richardson" and all it is is his stupid beard, way to sell a worthless story.

December 3, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  17. Karen, Arkansas

Wow CNN what news! I had read the headline "Obama Deeply Disapointed in Richardson." I thought the man had turned down the post Obama had offered him. Sheesh, CNN, you are turning Tabloid!

December 3, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  18. Ken in Dallas

Well, Bill, you've stepped in it now.

Since you went ahead and shaved, I guess the next concession to conformity has to be to cut five pounds... and five... and five... until you can stand those B-ball meetings with the Chief. I truly wish you success if you take that challenge up.

December 3, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  19. Bill, Albany, Georgia

As Sec of Commerce he should have no trouble doing business with China, he has more chins than they do.........

December 3, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  20. Former republican army wife

How is Richardson Judas? He owed the Clintons nothing but his friendship, and that, he still gives them. People have a right to vote for anyone they feel like voting for. You people need to grow up!!! Richardson is a grown man, and he can make his own decisions.

As far as the beard, I liked it. Thought he looked a little rugged, and less of a typical politician.

December 3, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  21. Samilton

Keep the beard and lose some weight. I think a beard adds (positive) to the look of most men.

December 3, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  22. Marcia

I think it's a bit racist, actually, to refer to Richardson as fat and repulsive. The endomorph body type is common among people with his ethnic heritage and at his time of life being built like, well, Obama, for example, would be both unnatural and impossible for him. He's a handsome man in late middle age. Get off his case!

I'm glad he's in the cabinet, and I think commerce is a smart choice for subtle reasons. I am starting to see a very complex and long-range chess gambit in the Obama appointments.

December 3, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  23. Mark in Arizona

Me too! I was hoping it might help hairy guys make a comeback.

December 3, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  24. Alan

Virginia December 3rd, 2008 1:14 pm ET

"And this is news??? Who cares–he is just another Dem who will be up there running things in the "good ol' boys' club" they call change……"

Virginia, Virginia, Virginia - who would you recommend President-Elect Obama put on his cabinet? The bowling league? Billiards buddies? The CHANGE you refer to is happening - it's an ATTITUDE change, starting with a president-elect who is carefully thinking through and mapping out an INTELLIGENT plan and already putting his team together so he can start working us through this gigantic mess the moment he hits the White House.

But - I have you pegged. When Obama zigs, you'll feel he should have "zagged." When he "zags" you'll ask why on earth didn't he "zig?" It won't matter to you so...guess you'll just have to try again NEXT election.

Sorry but the majority ruled. You lost. Get over it. And get WITH the program or please stand out of the way so we can try and get this horrific eight-year nightmare mopped up.

December 3, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  25. Jose

Who cares? He's still Judas, beard or no beard. The cabinet post is the "30 pieces of silver".

December 3, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |