December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Godluvr

Mr. President-E,

I agree!

Please order Gov. Richardson to grow a new beard immediately!

Still loving the whole process – This is one smart President we have in these United States of America now!

Critic Beware: there's some crow waiting outside your door!

December 3, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  2. Bill from Grande Prairie, AB

I didn't know of Bill Richardson until he campaigned to be nominated as a presidential candidate. The first time I viewed him he had a beard. I never cared to grow a beard myself but it looks good on some people and it looked good on Bill Richardson. However if it actually is scratchy for his wife when they kiss, then the beard sould stay off. I'm pleased that Bill is in Obama' cabinet.

December 3, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  3. 3strikes

any other serious issues to report? richardson can color in a beard with a marker or paint if nobamas really attracted to the beard.

December 3, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. Paul in Miami

Watch your back Obama, the guy's a sneaky backstabber.
    Why did you put such a snake in your cabinet?

December 3, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. nate

There goes the Just For Men ad.

December 3, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. Me

Slow news day, eh CNN?

December 3, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  7. Jukita Holston

I thought he look nice with the beard. Without it he looks like he has a double chin.

December 3, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  8. GW BUSH BEAT YOU IDIOTS TWICE

So dumb,,,,,Its funny that Obama can say that and its funny but if GW said that he is an Idiot.....Got to love the liberal hypocrits.

December 3, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  9. mike

Nothing wrong with the poundage either.

Taft!

December 3, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  10. justin

Bill O'Reilly is desperately trying to book the beard for his show as the first casualty of the Obama Administration run amok!!!!!!

December 3, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  11. B. Riley Hanson

Oh my god, me too! My girlfriend and I were just discussing this. Richardson's beard gave him such a distinguished look....

Why is it an expectation of American politicians (and businessman alike) that their faces be clean shaven?

Beards 2012!

December 3, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  12. T. G.

Inunderstand that Bill Richardson had to shave his beard since he got nominated for the commerce secretary position in order to look presentable, but he could at least keep the goatee.

December 3, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  13. Janice Illinois

With or with out the beard, your still able to see the shifty eyes of Judas. When you are so eager to stab the backs of the people who made you, the only thing left is to say once a traitor always a traitor!!

December 3, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  14. LA-LA LAND

Yeah, cool dude Obama, so hip, wow man, awesome! (This is what we have now in the respectable office of the Presidency of the United States of America! By the time Barry is done with his little ego-boosting adventure, our great nation will be reduced to a banana republic much like Chavez' Venezuela.

December 3, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  15. G

I think its funny but for a minute there I thought he rejected the offer Obama made to be his commerce secretary.

December 3, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  16. Reese from NC

I'm with Obama on this one. I really liked the beard on Richardson. Let it grow back, please!!!

December 3, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  17. Karl

We are disappointed in Gates as Secty of Defense and Obama backpedaling on his campaign promises........

December 3, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  18. W8nting_A_ChnG

I think we're missing the point here: Its not about the beard being shaved, who cares, but the type of character Obama is by pointing it [the beard] out. Good move. I think Obama puts personality in being the new Prez. and not just making it seem so "faux pas" to have character, while being the Command and Chief. We all noticed subtile things, but having someone who can be just as normal as one of the American people is awesome.

December 3, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  19. Leah from FL

With all of the grim news these days, thanks CNN for sharing something that made me laugh.

December 3, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  20. Anonymous

I understand that Bill Richardson had to shave his beard to look clean and presentable after bring nominated as Secretary of Commerce, but I feel that he could at least keep the goatee.

December 3, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  21. Leah from FL

December 3, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  22. T.G.

December 3, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  23. t

people its ok to laugh:) Its unhuman to think ever now than Obama its allowed to tell a joke or two.

December 3, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  24. zach

do not advertise this story as obama "dissapointed" in richardson – looking for a hook for people to click the link. for many who read headlines, they are getting false news. don't stoop down to that cnn

December 3, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |