December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. BGL

I like him with the beard. But, I have to complain a little. The headline on the main page said Obama was disappointed with Richardson. I'm like, 'Don't tell me he said no to the job'. But, nooooo! It's about his beard! That's called 'bait n' switch'!

December 3, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  2. M

CNN is silly for the title of this article. Sensational journalism to a new level.

December 3, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  3. Melissa, NC

Hi! I saw the press conference and truly 'laughed out loud' when Obama answered the question about Bill's 'beard'. It's nice to see a little humor these days! Glad to see that Obama and Richardson have a sense of humor. And, Bill...you look great with or without the beard!

December 3, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  4. Mikey

I really thought Richardson would get something better than the Commerce job. Oh well...

Watch out for the nasty Repubs...rumor has it that they have a site out there that is a smear machine – but this one is supposed to give codes out to GOP operatives. Can't remember what it's called though. Any help???

December 3, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  5. Proud to be American

President Elect Obama and Commerce Secretary Richadson are going to be great together. I love them both.

December 3, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  6. Scott

I think it's great that Obama has the time to make Comments about things like this but doesn't take the time to answer Genuine questions from the Media...

It's just awesome that people care more about what dog his kids choose than the economy, and he cares more about one of his cabinet members beards than a nuclear armed Iran in the first term of his presidency...

December 3, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  7. KJ, GA

To Gary:

What are you joking or are you an idiot! Obama was making a joke and implementing laughter into press conference.

You're probably one of those people who finds something to dislike/ distrust about Obama no matter what he does. Good Grief!

December 3, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  8. Joe-- from The Santa Fe

Doesn't everyone realize how difficult it is to lose weight in New Mexico with all the wonderful food of the Southwest available? Joe S.

December 3, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  9. Voter

Richardson spent a lot of time trying to look "Hispanic" because it got him some votes and more attention. He wanted a job, any job, so he decided to look as Hispanic as possible.

He's so fat he looks gross, and the lack of beard reveals the heavy layers of fat lolling and shifting under his chin.

"Tubby" had best drop at least 100 pounds, or he'll wreck every photo op and drop dead like Tim Russert and so many other obese men.

Poor Hillary has to look at this gob of fat for 4 years.

December 3, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  10. rodger

Why don't you give us news rather than infotainment? My God, CNN is becoming Fox. Have you no standards?

December 3, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  11. beard admirer

He looks much better with a beard. No doubt about it.

December 3, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  12. John M

he looked too much like Wolfman Jack...

Is this really "headline news"?

RIDICULOUS

December 3, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  13. Donna - Los Angeles

It was a cool look for him and he looked younger.

December 3, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  14. Chipster

Wow, there are some really nasty and personal comments here about the man's appearance. I wonder how beautiful the people are who are so critical of Richardson's personal appearance. Beauty, which is completely subjective, is only skin deep but ugly goes clear to the bone. There are some really ugly people on this blog, regardless of how they look. Is it really necessary to be so mean about something so frivolous and irrelevant?

December 3, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  15. S.M

I liked the beard as well. But what matters is Richardson doing the job to the best of his ability.

December 3, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  16. Gary, Georgia

Jesus H. Christ! With all that is going on in our country,i.e. wall street meltdown, auto companies about to fail,CNN considers whether or n ot some guy in Obama's cabinet has a beard to be newsworthy? If I wanted to read that kind of crap, I'd pick up the national Inquirer!!

December 3, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  17. CanIcallyouJoe

Meanwhile, several American troops and Iraqi civilians were killed.

December 3, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  18. N.C. Veteran

The world is coming undone and someone thinks this is newsworthy?

December 3, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  19. Becky

grow the beard again!!!!!!!!!!

December 3, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  20. Linda

For those of you asking "is this news?".....Oh grow up people! Even CNN gets to have fun sometime!

December 3, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  21. Mike

Because of its proven history of working well with Gov. Richardson, the president-elect has nominated Richardson's beard for Secretary Of Energy.

December 3, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  22. Christine

The beard gives him a handsome, rugged look! No baby-face for this girl!

December 3, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  23. Shar

I don't understand why you put such misleading headlines on your home page that reference the ticker. It seems that CNN has been doing this a lot lately and I wish they would get back to the accurate news source they used to be!

December 3, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  24. ben

Beard or no beard. Your choice Mr. Secretary of Commerce to be. Either way, I think you'll do a great job.

December 3, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  25. Deborah

I vote for the beard, too. Without it, he looks like Fred Flintstone.

December 3, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |