December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Derek Thomas

Just yesterday I was thinking how I was done with this network due its irresponsible coverage of the attacks in Mumbai. Not only was it a vulger dispaly of carnage, but many believe you were irresponsible in disclosing the whereabouts of certain victims.

And now, to put up a headline that says Obama is disappointed in Richardson..... Its disgusting, misleading and completely irrelevant.

Tabloid journalism is not the direction I would like to see any network head unto. Good riddance!

December 3, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  2. Mary

A reporter asked a question, Obama answered. It was TIC, a joke. Of course there are more pressing issues, but are we not allowed a moment of brevity? If we dwell on the doom and gloom that is our economic situation, we'll all go crazy.

December 3, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. Emmanuel

OB1 has spoken and i agree with him Bill should have kept the beard. Stop calling him Judas all you PUMAS.

December 3, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  4. PSU Student

Don't mean to mean to Governor Richardson, really like the guy and think his nomination for Commerce Secretary is a great choice, but he should have kept the beard. It looks like he has a fanny pack strapped around his neck.

December 3, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  5. Meg from Colorado

I agree with Senator Obama that Bill Richardson looked better with his beard. It gave him a more relaxed and youthful appearance. Without his beard he looks old and grumpy. Let it grow again, Bill!

December 3, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  6. Lorraine Robinson

Richardson is handsome, lovable, courteous intelligent and polite.
    He will make a wonderful commerce Secretary that the US will be proud.

He appears to have a pleasant disposition and to be easy going. He is just a lovable teddy bear.

I do prefer the beard on him though.

December 3, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. Harry A. Haney

Hey LA-LA-LAND,

Our great nation has already been reduced to a banana republic much like Chavez' Venezuela. Barrack Obama will be trying to build it back up to the great country that it once was before Bush/Cheney and the republicans drove it into the ground. Say what you will. Anything is better than the current republican administration.

December 3, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  8. deb in Colo

He looks better with the beard...he should have kept it.

December 3, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  9. Pat McCormack

I liked the beard (the fact that I wear one is irrelevant), Richardson looks better and younger sporting that facial hair.

December 3, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  10. Michael in San Diego

Shame on you CNN... I had to read this story to find out why Obama was so disappointed in his newest appointee and I find out that the comment was made in jest. Please change the header for these kinds of stories so they don't confuse and distract those of us looking for "real" news stories to read.

December 3, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  11. beard enthusiast

THANK YOU BARACK OBAMA FOR FIGHTING BEARD INTOLERANCE IN THIS COUNTRY!!

December 3, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  12. FREEMAN

It's truly amazing what a beard can do to someones looks. Governor Richardson looks almost handsome with it.

December 3, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  13. Debra

So this is the kind of think the president-elect has on his mind?
    Great, just great.

December 3, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  14. Linda Walkingshaw

I prefer the beard too.

Everybody in the administration of government doesn't have to look like an IBM clone. We, of the 60s generation, appreciate and understand individualism, and are not uncomfortable with it.

Please, grow back the beard! You are ever so sexy and handsome with same.

December 3, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  15. the heart of the matter

grow it back!!

December 3, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  16. Republican in VA

Even though I hate this kind of news that is not important, this made me laugh. Lol, he actually doesn't look shabby without that beard, but I suggest you grow it back Richardson!

December 3, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  17. Kristina

I liked the beard. It made him look youthful and spry. I hope he grows it back!

December 3, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  18. Bobby

Now, now. CNN does invent lots of news, but this is all in good fun. There is a fine line between "stories" that aren't actually of any value or news and those that are not really stories but make for a good laugh upon the endless amounts of negative news we hear everyday.

December 3, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  19. wayne

grow it back to cover the fat face he has

December 3, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  20. Shan

Wow CNN. What's with the 'hate America' sentiment that is going on. Your headlines seem to be geared towards anti-Americanism.

Searching for non-biased media. Any suggestions?

December 3, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  21. Janice

I liked the beard. It was quite sexy.

December 3, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  22. Oregon calling

I liked the "Western Look" myself :-)

December 3, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  23. Richard

In the middle of all this crisis, such type of comment from a President-elect is not exactly what we're looking forward to listening to, Mr. Obama!

December 3, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  24. angie in NC

I like the beard and can appreciate a President who pays attention to his employee's appearance.

December 3, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  25. Randy

I like the beard.

I think it makes him looked more distinguished. He's a good man for
    the post and I wish him sucess with his new career.

Bring back the beard BIll.

December 3, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |