December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Thebe

He's cute, but cuter with the beard.

December 3, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  2. ALAG76

Seriously? Who cares? I can't believe I wasted time clicking on the link "Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard" to find this out. This is what CNN calls news worthy?

December 3, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  3. 4 more years

Ok, please President Elect, do not give us four more years of Bush.

Richardson's beard really isn't important. By you trying to be cute and funny, you sound as bad as Bush does when he tries to be.

We really don't need that. And frankly, you're not very funny.

P.S. Another thing you do like Bush: if you don't have a written speech in front of you, every other word is "uh". Doesn't show well for a Harvard grad.

December 3, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  4. Daniel from El Paso TX

Must have been the reason Hillary got the Secratary of State job over him. She definately looks more manly than Richardson with his beard shaved off....

December 3, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  5. Bill Bailey

This guy's got more chins than a chinese phonebook!

December 3, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  6. xys

Yes he looks better with a beard!!!!!!!

December 3, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  7. george

I Guess that speaks to the overall intelligence and vision that our President Elect possesses...WHO CARES...whether any of the new Cabinet Member has a BEARD OR NOT....Does that make him a more effective Cabinet Post member...I SERIOUSLY DOUBT IT.

December 3, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  8. P. Mathew

I guess it's been a quiet day in the world of politics. No exciting news eh?

With the whole beard thing, I'm waiting for Richardson to talk about global warming...he might even make a movie about it....or even win a Nobel prize. Then people would take him so serial. :|

December 3, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  9. Voter08

This is news? CNN really wasted time and space for this topic. They even wasted or misled the people with the headline.

Jerks!

December 3, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  10. Kurt Guseman

Dude: A big mistake, you looked GOOD with the beard...

December 3, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  11. brian

nice hook CNN.
    very clever journalism.
    i am not being sarcastic.
    that is the way you draw someone in.

everyone should write to Richardson and tell him yes or no.

my vote is yes and i agree with Obama for once.

December 3, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  12. Sandy

Much, better looking with the beard!

December 3, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  13. karen-phoenix

Richardson would have great as Sec of State BUT at this very critical point in American history Commerce is just as important if not more so!!! Richardson will be out and about the entire world building business for America, especially redoing the mess that has been created in South America!!! We NEED South America as an ally–not an enemy!!! Richardson also knows how very important it is to rebuild American commerce re: solar, wind, biofuels etc.!! Another great job done well by Obama and staff!!!! God Bless you all!!! And God Bless America!!

December 3, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  14. A Woman In California For Obama

I like men in beards. However, I would not want to kiss him. It looks great though-makes him look years younger.

December 3, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  15. NY Republican

He does look better with the beard. See at least one of us "haters" can agree with the new Prez.

December 3, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  16. Ardra-Atlanta

Our new President is so cool! I think it is all very funny... The beard was cool but he does look more professional without it and I heard some anaylst/pundints talking about him so badly I felt bad so for that reason I am glad that he shaved!

December 3, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  17. Don

YOU ARE NOT A JUDAS IF YOU WISE UP AND GO WITH THE DEMOCRATS...IT IS AN AWAKENING!

December 3, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  18. aynes54

UGHHHHH...another Clintonite with Richardson.....I am deeply disappointed in Obama.....There is NO fresh faces in his cabinet. Same old same old.....What happened to his campaign on "change"????

December 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  19. Matthieu

Bill Richardson looks better with the beard, it doesn't make his face seem to have any extra skin.

December 3, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  20. The Gloom sqaud

Looks like the gloom squad is out, trying to make funny comments seem like something bad. And for the banana republic guy, you might be onto something. Our nation peaked as a superpower under Clinton, and Bush ushered in our decline. The numbers do not lie. We jumped the shark early under Bush, it didn't have to happen. Here's hoping Obama can fix the mess that the Texas man left us.

December 3, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  21. skh

I really liked the beard. It made Bill Richardson look much professional and handsome. Please grow it back.

December 3, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  22. Babe

I too vote for the beard! Grow it back ! Another point in its favor is that it hides a multitude of sins, such as the double chin.

December 3, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  23. Nannie Bouroughs

The loss of the beard os just the start of things that Mr. Obama is going to be disappointed in with Richardson... wait for it...

December 3, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  24. lovable liberal

President makes joke! Film at 11:00.

December 3, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  25. Ed Via

These faux "headlines" are getting tiresome, CNN. I find myself coming to your site less and less frequently – if you want to be a web-loid just keep it up, you're headed in the right direction.

December 3, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |