December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. DeVone

Zach, what in the world are you talking about
    go back an READ THE TITLE OF THE ARTICLE

December 3, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  2. Richard Simmons!

Richardson needs to do some Sweat'n to the Oldies and use my Meal a Deal food plan to lose those extra pounds! You go girl! And that's one, and two, and loose some extra goo!

December 3, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  3. Richard Simmons!

December 3, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  4. Kathy in Indiana

Richardson – please grow it back...... you look so naked

December 3, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  5. daune

i like richardson, with or without the beard. he is a very ambitious man with a great sence of humor, bill go make us all proud

December 3, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  6. Matt

OH NO! This unabashed sexism is surely going to irk Campbell Brown. I mean no one would make such a comment to a female politician.

December 3, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  7. Denise Bolin

Obama has most definitely kept his promise – he's placing very qualified and intelligent people at all cabinet posts – it's the change we need – COMPETENCE.

For those that criticize at every opportunity – remember this is YOUR President, too and that you should respect his judgment and give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise. This is a brilliant and inspirational leader who, if you can be objective, will prove to the world how great our nation can be AGAIN.

December 3, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  8. Jay

LOL Funny!

December 3, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  9. Allen, Sugar Land, Texas

Bush made Richardson shave his beard. It's BUSH'S fault. Cheney is responsible for Darfur.

Obama '08

December 3, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  10. Denise Bolin

THAT'S THE CHANGE WE NEED -

December 3, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  11. Jesse

Really? I mean... Really?

Does this story really merit this site?

Is this really note worthy? I am the one that is disappionted.

I clicked on the story and I becamse furious at the big waste of time.

I guess I am going to have to look to "google news" from now on.

This truely sad....

December 3, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  12. Denise Bolin

That's most definitely the change we need – COMPETENCE

December 3, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  13. Kyle

Nooooo, you shouldn't have shaved the beard! I'm sick of all these politicians with their hair slicked back and teeth 20 shades whiter than normal. We want the beard! We want the beard!

December 3, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. Blossum

That beard was false! It fell off in his soup!

December 3, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  15. Sally

He should have kept it, it almost hides his extra chins.

December 3, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  16. lilacs

good to see some humor in these tough time. glad to see a president that has a real sense of humor but also knows when to be serious.

December 3, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  17. M. John Powell

Mr. Richardson, I like the beard better. I would suggest that you grow it back as soon as possible.

December 3, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  18. lucy

Richardson looks better with the beard. Without it, his obesity really shows.

December 3, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  19. Smart move

Keeping Gates on was a very strategic move while power transitions. Whenever this many people come and go at the same time it puts us in a potentially dangerous spot. Keeping the national defense guy around is brilliant. And if for whatever reason he doesn't work out, he can be replaced in a year or whatever.

December 3, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  20. John

He looked like a cute bear with it.

December 3, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  21. ...really CNN?

Are you serious? On the front page you have a link to an article with the link titled, "Obama 'deeply disappointed' in Richardson" and you link it to this? Really? There's so little happening in the world that you're saying this is front page worthy? This is ridiculous.

December 3, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  22. Nia Hussein- Phoenix, AZ

ummm no Bill...you are going to have to grow that beard back ASAP!!! That was apart of the appeal...DAH!!

December 3, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  23. tony p.

Looks like a WWE wrestler with the beard ... Looks like a sumo wrestler without it. Either way he's set to kick butt!!!

December 3, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  24. Tom in NM

good riddance from NM. Maybe this megalomanic can get pre-signed undated letters of resignation from all the employees at commerce. since he's no longer running for prez it's nice to see him pork out again - oh that's right he wants to make obesity a disease rather than an inability to NOT stuff your fat face.

December 3, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  25. wiiliam

job performance! job performance! job performance! really don't care about the big ego trip everyone seems to be on except for the average lucky to have a job american.

December 3, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |