December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. VB Lincoln Park NJ

I have a beard.

Hey, Bill, GROW IT BACK!!!!!!

December 3, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  2. Al in South Carolina

Don't look now but Richardson was mediocre at best as the Secretary of Energy under Clinton. Don't expect a lot from him at Commerce.

December 3, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  3. Former Lifelong Republican supporting Obama, Columbia, TN

Funny...but to be honest, I kinda liked the beard on Richardson. It gave him more character.

December 3, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  4. David

Oh man, did any Republicans accuse him of being a Muslim for leaving a beard for so long?

He looked good with the beard. Bring it back!

December 3, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. Harry

THIS IS NEWS, WHY???

December 3, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  6. Paula Alejo

I agree, I think the beard made him look sexy.

December 3, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  7. Karen - Missouri

I liked the beard and the more relaxed "rugged" look. I hope he lets the beard grow out again.

December 3, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. Darrell

Good choice Gov. Richardson has a great gift about him in what ever he does for the United States of America. He is a true hero for all to follow he has held so many positon in the Government and Elective Offices and succeeds in each one, GOOD CHOICE!

December 3, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  9. Ned

The beard hid his double chin. Should have kept it.

December 3, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  10. Steve in Austin, TX

Last weekend I trimmed about 4 inches off my goatee, and now I'm dissapointed with myself.

December 3, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  11. Gene

And here I thought this was a real story.. that Richardson turned down the post offered to him. :)

Welcome aboard Bill.

December 3, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  12. Mark from Houston

For those who did not like the news: com'on, loosen up!

December 3, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. Get over it

It makes him look older and uglier that he was before.

December 3, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  14. Democrat to the bone

I'm disappointed too lol

December 3, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  15. Anon

To be honest, how about he looks ugly both ways?

December 3, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  16. Goodbye CNN

So the link is titled "Obama "disappointed" with Richardson" and then you post some idiotic crap about Obama being disappointed he shaved his beard? I'll be pointing my browser to anywhere BUT CNN.com from here on out due to this kind of idiocy.

December 3, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  17. John

EVERYTHING about Bill Richardson disappoints me!!!

December 3, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. G Kaur

I agree with Mr. Obama. Bill, you looked better with the beard. Please grow it back. Besides, it hid your double chin.

Yes, you should consider losing weight though, for your health's sake.

GK, Atlanta, GA

December 3, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  19. Mrivera

GROW THE BEARD!!!

December 3, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  20. Haz

Pro Beard! check out the United States Beard Congress on facebook!
    OMG! Keep the beard!

December 3, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  21. Rosie

I agree with the majority–the beard was great! What a hunk. However there is the saying looks are are only skin deep and its what's inside that counts.

December 3, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  22. Susan

At least Richardson is on the cabinet at all, beard or no beard. (I liked the beard). I'm sort of concerned over some of the hawkish types of people Obama is bending over backwards to put around him..(gulp). And, as Michael Moore said not long ago in his newsletter, the Republicans seem to be stealing money out of the cookie jar on their way out. Soo, there may not be money for the programs that Democrats want to implicate for the good of our country. Fingers crossed.

December 3, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  23. Melissa

I am amazed at how many people are too stupid to understand SARCASM and have no senses of humor.

Truly, that is what is wrong with America. *firm nod*

December 3, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  24. daune

I Like bill richardson with or without a beard , he is a good man with a great sence of humor ,wildly ambitious.so mr secretary of commerce go make us all proud,

December 3, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  25. James in Utah

I like the look better with the beard. Of course, news is slow today, hence the story on the beard.

December 3, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |