December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. aliceblue

I giggled like a total dork when Obama answered this question–mostly because he was voicing my own disappointment at the loss of the Bill-beard. I thought the Governor looked impossibly more cuddly and adorable with it and was devestated when he shaved it!

I love that we're going to have a President who can be so goofy and funny without being a smirky frat boy. So refreshing.

Even though I wanted him for State, I'm excited by the Commerce appointment. It sounds like he's going to be very active and influential in the new administration.

December 3, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  2. Andrea

I rather like the beard!

December 3, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  3. Ian

Interesting. And what about the 2010 social security crisis? You know, the one with $30 TRILLION in unfunded liablities?

December 3, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  4. rich

Richardson needs to push himself away from the table so that he may live longer and serve the nation. He has two or three chins going on there. lol. He should have kept his beard to hide them, but being the gentleman he is, he came out clean shaven for the moment.

December 3, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm |
  5. Kate B.

I have to confess... I LOVED his beard and am also very disappointed he shaved it off. I agree with Anne E.... He'll make a great commerce secretary, beard or not, but a far sexier commerce secretary WITH it. I don't believe that was one of the elements President Elect Obama was looking for though...LOL.

December 3, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  6. Daniel Adewumi from Canada

That is irrelevant to his ability to deliver. He should be able to decide for himself how he want to look afterall he is not the president who is contitutionaly required to shave.
    I am unhappy he did not get the Secretary of State.

December 3, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  7. mike ikem umealo

as long as the brain doesn't grow hairs, bill is fine with or without.

December 3, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  8. Obama's Joke writer

I'm disappointed that Gov. Richardson got rid of his beard but hey Gov. Crist is getting a new beard Dec 12.

December 3, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  9. Dave in NYC

I thought the beard looked sloppy so I'm glad to see it go... I do agree that he needs to watch those extra pounds, though!

December 3, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  10. E = Mc 2

Judas just got paid !!!!

December 3, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  11. Jimmy Edu

I regretted also that Richardson didn't make it to the Secretary of State position, as against. But then, beard or no beard, he'll make a good team player. Good job.

December 3, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  12. Kelcie

I think he will be a wonderful commerce secretary.

Also, he definitely looks better with the beard.

December 3, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  13. Chelsea

Are they serious? Reporting about a beard (or lack thereof...)?? This is strange.

December 3, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  14. MIAMI-FL

You tell them Richie!!!!

December 3, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  15. Truman

I think that he should have kept the beard for "change" sake. It would have shown that facial hair is not taboo, in America.

December 3, 2008 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  16. gary n.

What does Sarah Palin think about this ?

December 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  17. LW In Texas

I Love this guy, he is so darn refreshing, He his going to be great for our country. As a guy who has a few extra pounds myself, I am glad to see Bill out there.

December 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  18. Texas Teacher

I'm glad we have a President elect with a sense of humor.... it's refreshing.... :)

A man who can laugh at himself and display a delightful sense of humor over little things.... simply does not take himself so seriously as to feel like he is the know all, end all of reason. It is to my mind the mark of true intelligence.

Contrast this to the snickering humor of Bush. I will never forget the "I am the decider speech." So many times I spit up in my mouth over the pure ignorance of the man! And now they talk about little brother Bush getting back into politics.... Pardon me... I just spit up in my mouth again. My gag reflex is pretty weak after eight years of Bush and Cheney!

December 3, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  19. Petena

I don't like beards – they look nasty.

December 3, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  20. Dan

I think he looked better with the beard....

December 3, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  21. chuck

I think he was told to shave his beard. Well someone had to to the dirty job.The beard was just horrible.

December 3, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  22. Sweetie

Richardson still looks like a Snake to me!

Look up what his main job for Bill was and you will consider him a Snake as well!

I hope Obama doesn't use him the same way Bill did!

Sleaze all the way !

December 3, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  23. boered1

too bad the better person did not get the Secretary of State position, I would ahve been proud to see Richardson, with or without beard, there

but on second thought a few months after the liar hillary is actually in the position of sos and has proven her incompetence they just may move Richardson over there to fix what she will have, undoubtable, screwed up

December 3, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  24. April

Good for you, Governor Richardson and Congradulations on the cabinet post of Secretary of Commerce. I think it is a good fit for your expertise.

Grow the beard back, it adds to your appearance

December 3, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |