December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Sian

I too am disappointed.

December 3, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  2. Larry Isard

go for the beard

December 3, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  3. sam

that is upsetting. he does in fact look much better w/ the beard.

December 3, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  4. anon

+1 for the beard. It really suits him.

December 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  5. OA, Houston, TX

This headline is VERY, VVVVVEEEEERRRRRYYYYY MISLEADING!!!!!

December 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  6. J

I think there are whole a lot of issues than beard that deserve a front page news report on cnn.

December 3, 2008 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  7. usualone

What a pleasant surprise to find out the "hook" only brought us in to read the article and find out the men both do have a sense of humor. We need this in these times with everyone being so cynical. With a sense of humor one does survive - even when the going gets tough. I just saw the headline that people want the Big 3 to fail. What about all the little people who earn livings because of the Big 3? People are showing their cut-throat approach to other human beings. I guess they want these guys to be dour all the time. We need levity to survive.

December 3, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  8. jrzgrlxit8a

I agree – I loved the beard!

December 3, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  9. Pamela , NYC / ATL

Richardson looks better with a beard.

December 3, 2008 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  10. Carol

So, he rebels if he does not get his way. Says volumns about his character.

December 3, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  11. Max in Phoenix, AZ

The beard shouldn't be a main page story... it's not going to determine how he does his job. He was appointed because of his knowledge on the issues and qualifications and I feel he's a good fit for the position. As far as the beard goes, I think he looked better with it.

December 3, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  12. Justin

Who really cares? I mean it's as if CNN has not gotten enough of kissing up to Barack yet. I can't wait until he has to implement some polices that will surely upset all his worshippers!

December 3, 2008 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  13. KB

Why is this news?

December 3, 2008 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  14. Roo

Aw, say it ain't so, Bill! Why is the great and noble beard so marginalized in American public life? Men (especially heavy ones like Richardson) look so silly and incomplete with smooth faces. What a shame!

December 3, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  15. Obama the great!!!

Everything he does is great!
    What an awesome show of personality!
    I love this man!
    You couldn't of written a better comment if you took years and it just rolled right off his lips as if it was nothing!!!
    He's so magnificent!!!

December 3, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  16. Ivan Sanchez

I'm from Santa Fe, New Mexico and most men's beards look just great; they know how to trim it to look appealing. But with Billy Richardson it’s not a beard at all, it looks like a stepped on scrub pad pasted on his face! I think that’s why he took it off too many New Mexicans were complaining about it!

December 3, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  17. Mike - Hot Springs, Arkansas

I am a 70 year old man who has worn a beard not for over 30 years. It is a part of me that will be with me until I die or my hair falls out. I am sorry he cut it. It gave him personality and did express a certain certitude of purpose.

December 3, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  18. Susan in NC

Lighten up, folks.......good grief!

December 3, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  19. CnoMoPalin n NC

Wow looking sexy!! He's cute. I don't know rather to kiss his lips or his chins!

December 3, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  20. Adole

Oh come on people, this is just Obama's sense of humor showing. Lighten up! We need this humor at a time when things are tending to not be so funny. I certainly got a chuckle from this. :)

December 3, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  21. DS

Why is CNN such a tabloid? They are becoming more and more dissappointing as a news source. Right now CNN is borderline worthless.

December 3, 2008 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  22. Ray in Tampa

I think Obama should let his hair grow and lets see how it looks

December 3, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  23. Carla

With all that is happening we talk about this? Come on people.

December 3, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  24. Wilson, Seattle

"Who cares? He's still Judas, beard or no beard. The cabinet post is the "30 pieces of silver"."

Just wondering, but does that make Hillary Clinton Jesus? Maybe you should think about it a bit more...

December 3, 2008 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  25. penelope

I agree with Obama, he should have kept his beard. The days of cow-towing are over. If the beard is clean and presentable then do it.

December 3, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |