December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. H-ROD

WHERE DOES HE BEGIN, BUSH LEFT HIM A PILE OF DO DO TO CLEAN UP AND IT 'S NOT GOING TO BE EASY !!!

December 3, 2008 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  2. kay

Am old and have been married to a man with a beard for a long time. Beards and 'stashes are good . YES!

December 3, 2008 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  3. noopc

He looks more like Judas with the beard on.

December 3, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  4. D.L.

Only on communist news network would one find a "Texas Teacher" and so many others totally stupid enough to think any thing is funny about this incoming socialist/communist government. We are rapidly on the way to becoming a third world country and you idiots are finding humor from the moron you elected.

December 3, 2008 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  5. Kel

He definately looks better with the beard. i hope he gets buzz that everyone likes it and grows it back.

December 3, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  6. rob

wow–thats some double chin

December 3, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  7. Ann Carter

I agree that Mr. Richardson looked better with the beard.

December 3, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  8. JL

LOL; he does look better with the it on; makes him look younger even.

December 3, 2008 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  9. Jenny

WHY is this important! Start reporting on things that matter. No wonder you people don't report the facts!

December 3, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  10. Sylvia

I was disappointed too, just like Obama.

December 3, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  11. go bless the us

as pointless the article is

I thnk he's better with a beard.

December 3, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  12. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Uuuug!
    Grow it back!!!

NOW!

That chin is scaring me.

December 3, 2008 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  13. GOP=Epic Fail

Richardson looks like he lost a bet. He should grow it back.

December 3, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  14. thelma

Does it really matter? Is this trivial pursuit? He looks better with the beard.

December 3, 2008 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  15. Greg Carlson

Dude,

Grow it back. It gives you character.

December 3, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  16. Mary Flanagan

Well, he needs to cut back on his tortillas but then so do I!

December 3, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  17. Jay

Nice bait and switch headline CNN! Misleading and deceptive at the least.

December 3, 2008 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  18. Josh

As a long time supporter and early champion of Governor Richardson's campaign I had hoped to have a bearded Richardson as Secretary of State. Now we have a naked faced Richardson as secy of Commerce and an equally naked faced Hillary Clinton as secy of State. Can't win them all I guess.

December 3, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  19. Cornell

Grow the beard back!

December 3, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  20. Cato

You think Obama was disappointed today, wait until he sees him sloppy drunk. I saw Bill R. in a well known DC restaurant when he was between jobs with the Clinton administration. He was so intoxicated at about 2:30 pm that he had to be literally carried out of the restaurant by three security agents, not a pretty sight for a public servant..

December 3, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  21. geecee827

Richardson is a handsome man. He isn't exactly a spring chicken after all. Give him a break. And Judas? Why, because he supported Obama over Hillary? Like you guys care he didn't support Hillary even though he was in her husband's cabinet. Can't someone use their judgment now and then and not have to be loyal to a fault. Bush's guys were "loyal" and look what a mess his administration turned out to be. No one tried to buck him except Powell – and he quit!

December 3, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  22. Ishpeck

I can see how this is critical to the future of the country.

December 3, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  23. Barbara Askew

I agree with President-elect Obama: I am disappointed that Bill Richardson shaved off the beard. It added Lincoln-like distinction.

December 3, 2008 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  24. Gisela

Keep the beard, lose the weight. I hear Obama recommends salmon, rice and broccoli for supper at night, and a game of basketball every a.m. Of course, we couldn't all do this without crashing the salmon population; but I don't think there is a broccoli shortage.

December 3, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  25. themexcellentone

It must be a slow news day...

...but yep, the beard makes him look better. It makes him look less like he has old man fat head.

December 3, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |