December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. Helen

Without a doubt, better with the beard!!

December 3, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  2. Dan, FL

Barack has nothing to talk about. This is called inexperience. Even while answering reporter's questions, he fumbles. Training in action.

December 3, 2008 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  3. Carol

To LA-LA Land @ 3:17 – Home address?

December 3, 2008 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  4. Scott NYC Independent

The beard was a plus – it made him look like a MAVRICK

December 3, 2008 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  5. independent now

He looks like a homeless person with the beard, oh thats right I am one paycheck away from being homeless.

December 3, 2008 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  6. Paul Sheiman

Personally, I think the beard should sue.

December 3, 2008 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  7. Sylvia

Very fond of Gov. Richard. He probably should get healthier by shooting some baskets with the PE Obama.

December 3, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  8. Susan

The beard is good, It makes him look younger. Bring back the beard!

December 3, 2008 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  9. OJ

How is this news??????

December 3, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  10. MD

Better to grow a beard than a nose.

December 3, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  11. Mark

Oh PLEASE, now we will have even many more "12 year olds" trying to grow a BEARD. What SITE POLUTION !!! All this d–n facial hair to prove your masculinity – you'd think it, hair, was equal to a pen–. Geez guys, get a grip !!

December 3, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  12. Sharon

Grow the beard back. It made Richardson dashing!

December 3, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  13. naygie

I am so proud of us as a people. After electing an incompetent individual two times in a row, to see the American people elect someone who is so eloquent, smart and loving of his country and family as we know it, I am really proud of us as a people.

Obama's cabinet is the best of the best in America. No party lines, just competent, able, people. I hear some republicans trying to still stick to their divisive language and behavior like Sen. Chamblis, and it is truly shameful. Eight years of republican administration has proven a disaster for us as a people.....We are one people. I pray all goes well for President Obama who is being left with a real mess to deal with.

December 3, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  14. Patty in the CA mountains

I'm with Obama....the beard was the winning look

December 3, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  15. Roland in St George, UT

Bill Richardson for President 2016!

December 3, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  16. Obi-Wan

Enquiring Minds Want to Know CNN!

December 3, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  17. Lauren

And you ask what is wrong with the country,,,, 81 comments on the auto industry bailout,,, and almost 300 comments about a beard.

Silly children,,,,,

December 3, 2008 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  18. Mark

It's like Brett Farve growing all the facial hair to make him look younger and more like a 25 year old. In his case he is 39 years old – shaved 50 years old with facial hair and OLD, 65. Give it up !!

December 3, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  19. Ray in Tampa

I think Obama should let his beard grow and see how it looks.

December 3, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  20. Joan

I'm going to say I dig the beard. He looks almost good looking with the facial hair. Without the hair, he looks like a turkey, ew!

December 3, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  21. Fenarkleman

Far right wingers stink. They're traitors.

December 3, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  22. Matt

He didn't lose a beard, he gained a chin (or two).

December 3, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  23. Steve

Lose the triple chins first......

December 3, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  24. Elaine

We got all these comments on a friggin' beard?

December 3, 2008 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  25. Steve, Columbia SC

He should keep the beard, it hides his triple chin so much better.

December 3, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |