December 3rd, 2008

Obama 'deeply disappointed' Richardson shaved beard

The latest debate in Washington: Does Richardson look better with or without a beard?

(CNN) – Gov. Bill Richardson showed up to his press conference with President-elect Barack Obama Wednesday morning without the beard he has been sporting since dropping out of the presidential race in January, sparking his new boss to tell reporters he is "deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

"I'm going to answer this question about the beard," said Obama, when Richardson was asked where the facial hair went. "I think it was a mistake for him to get rid of it. I thought that whole Western, rugged look was really working for him.

"For some reason, maybe because it was scratchy when he kissed his wife, he was forced to get rid of it.," Obama continued as his nominee for commerce secretary smiled broadly. "But we're deeply disappointed with the loss of the beard."

Obama didn't let Richardson answer the question, but the New Mexico governor told Esquire Magazine in an interview posted online Wednesday that "After the campaign, I grew a beard as a rebellion against those consultants who told me I had to comb my hair, shave, lose weight. I said, You know, I’m gonna do what I want now. That was a good feeling."

Filed under: Bill Richardson
  1. deb0155

I cannot believe that with the United States in a recession, our homeless, starving, uneducated, bail outs, and absolutely no way out of this mess for a very long time that Bill Richardson's "beardlessness" would be of any news at all. Quite frankly, he needs to lose some weight and make a role model of himself.

December 3, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  2. Lost in Texas FOREVER

wow are we so uptight that we can't have light humor stories anymore in the news? Comon give it a break sometimes!

December 3, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  3. Larry

The only thing with more chins is the Beijing phone book.

December 3, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  4. Libby

Grow back the beard!

December 3, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  5. Fed Up

I'm sorry, this is news?

December 3, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  6. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW

LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 3, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  7. Marge

He looked like a toughie with the beard...much better looking and presentable without it.

December 3, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  8. anonymous in Big D

Much better without!!!

December 3, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  9. Jonathan M.

Most of you people are absolutly horrible. Most of you make fun of his weight on here? I thought you wanted the best man for the job? Not the best looking for the job. Guess what, that's why Democrats won't succeed. They believe in too perfect a world. I voted for Obama because he was best for the job, but overall Dems make me sick.

December 3, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  10. Lani in Los Angeles

Running out of things to report on eh?

December 3, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  11. Desert Storm Vet

He looked more jolly with the beard.

December 3, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  12. Oh No, It's Barry-O

Weight or beard ... he chose wrong!

December 3, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  13. JJ12345

WHO CARES

December 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  14. Scott Tucson

With the beard on, I thought he looked more like our Governor Napalitano. And Gov. Rendell does owe Janet an apology for Janet does have a life here. One of ignoring the people of her state when it comes to handing the illegal and crime issues, creating the worst deficit in this state history and unlike Sara Palin who looks hot, Janet does look like a pit bull wearing lip stick.

December 3, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  15. Dennis

Why is this news? Who cares? This is Obama-mania at its dumbest!

December 3, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  16. Alex

Without, he looks like bum with the beard.

December 3, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  17. Ashley

Good for you Bill ! There is nothing wrong with a little rebellion.

December 3, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  18. watchdog

The beard was better, Bill! Grow it back!

December 3, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  19. frankie

Oh well I guess I will miss the beard. I would be disappointed too, I really think he looks better with the on.

December 3, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  20. Stephen

He should keep the beard. It hides the neck fat. But Richardson is still awesome and he'll be a good commerce secretary, although I still feel he's best suited for secretary of state.

December 3, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  21. watchdog

did you notice he turned orange in the after picture? What after-shave did you use, Bill?

December 3, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  22. Buzz Daly

Whoa! He's got more Chins than the San Francisco telephone directory

December 3, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  23. JA from ABQ

I think Richardson will make a great Sec of Commerce and would have made a better Sec of State. Not to be...

We'll have to wait and watch how many Latinos make this cabinet or we'll need to re-eval and see if we need to use the power of our vote to swing the GOP way.

BTW – I like the beard!!!

December 3, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  24. Kyle

He needs it back, for Christmas. He looks more jovial with a beard.

December 3, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  25. Bentley

Be true to yourself. Grow the beard back. Part of the change we need in washington is a dramatic increase in authenticty.

December 3, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |